AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 09-19-2021, 06:31 PM

Thanks Mark!
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 09-20-2021, 05:59 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
Brilliant review! I just read it because I recently purchased a Hydra AV for my AV system. This was said to be a compact Triton and “nearly identical internally”. If I get a good measure of the benefits of the Triton that you described, I think I will be very pleased. I’ll find out tomorrow.
Many thanks. Enjoy the noise reduction.

PS - you also might like my M60 review

Last edited by tima; 09-20-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:22 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post

The power cord from the wall to the Typhon is a Python. I know that's an older cord, and from the sound has ferrite beads inside the sheath that rattle around when it's moved. Any information on the relative performance of this cord would be appreciated.

... I'd hoped to see a reduction in noise as measured with the Entech Line Noise analyzer. I plugged the analyzer into the circuit with the Hydras removed and set the gain to 100. I installed the Hydras and powered everything up. I checked the Entech in the amp outlet and the noise dropped ~2 points. I plugged it into the Triton and it was the same. I then plugged it into the front end outlet and got about the same reading. It seems pretty bizarre not to see any measurable improvement. I did not pick up any AM, so that's a good thing I suppose. I also ordered some ferrite beads that I can clamp onto the 10awg Romex that might help reduce the noise floor more.
Fwiw, those are not ferrite beads slithering around in the Python. It a proprietary Shunyata compound that is, or is similar to their proprietary ZrCa2000 and tuned to absorb non-musical energy in the megahertz and into the gigahertz ranges. Irc, Shunyata believes it is clearly sonically superior to ferrite beads.

With regard to measurement testing ...

There is an interesting post from Grant Samuelson about using the IDEAL SureTest analyzer to measure Shunyata products on a different forum (Whiskey Bravo Foxtrot) - a direct reference to which here is VERBOTEN. There is also a lengthy thread named "Measuring power line noise with the TriField EM100, and the impressive effect of Shyunyata products" on the same forum wherein the Entech device is also discussed. I believe you know where this can be found if you've not seen it already.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Fwiw, those are not ferrite beads slithering around in the Python. It a proprietary Shunyata compound that is, or is similar to their proprietary ZrCa2000 and tuned to absorb non-musical energy in the megahertz and into the gigahertz ranges. Irc, Shunyata believes it is clearly sonically superior to ferrite beads.

With regard to measurement testing ...

There is an interesting post from Grant Samuelson about using the IDEAL SureTest analyzer to measure Shunyata products on a different forum (Whiskey Bravo Foxtrot) - a direct reference to which here is VERBOTEN. There is also a lengthy thread named "Measuring power line noise with the TriField EM100, and the impressive effect of Shyunyata products" on the same forum wherein the Entech device is also discussed. I believe you know where this can be found if you've not seen it already.
Tim,
Thanks for the correction—I knew the beads are not ferrite, but had just clamped ferrite beads on Romex and guess I typed too fast without thinking. By the way the ferrite beads on Romex did not have any measurable effect on line noise.

In addition to the Entech line noise analyzer I also use the Ideal analyzer to measure instantaneous current capability.

I’m familiar with the other forum thread to which you refer. I bought the Entech rather than the TriField based on a statement by Caelin that the TriField is not sensitive to a noise band that is detrimental to audio while the Entech is.
Sound Lab 745s, AtmaSphere MA1s, 2 Rythmik 12SE subs, 1 dual 10" DIY sub, Parasound JC2 pre, Aurender S10, Holo Audio May DAC, Oppo 105, DIY Lenco L75, Wavestream Kinetics tube phono stage, Shunyata loom
Old 09-20-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Many thanks. Enjoy the noise reduction.

PS - you also might like my M60 review
Tim,
Great review! I had not seen this. Thanks.

Evan