General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Nice review. I am sure you guys had a blast

Interesting to see how the Debussy holds out against the rest of the candidates
Absolutely! Thanks again BTW

Now if I could just talk you into upgrading to the Vivaldi so I could buy your Rossini, we'd be set-
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-29-2022, 03:22 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Nice report.

The list could go on and on. And MSB, Lampizator, Esoteric, EMM Labs, Meitner, Bricasti and on and on and on.

Good luck and I bet you are having fun
True! It is fun (my wife would say otherwise because I've bought several DACs in the last couple months).

Lampizator is 'en route, so I'll compare it against the dCS/AMR, and with a Rossini demo next week - I'll have a better idea of how they stack up.

I'd love to hear Esoteric, EMM and MSB---

Any Northern Colorado peeps that want to bring some more contenders, we can keep the party going
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-29-2022, 03:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
True! It is fun (my wife would say otherwise because I've bought several DACs in the last couple months).

Lampizator is 'en route, so I'll compare it against the dCS/AMR, and with a Rossini demo next week - I'll have a better idea of how they stack up.

I'd love to hear Esoteric, EMM and MSB---

Any Northern Colorado peeps that want to bring some more contenders, we can keep the party going
I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Lampizator Baltic 3 when it arrives, 'cause in my experience, that DAC punches way above it's price class.

Also, the EMM Labs DA/2 is excellent, too. Ed Meitner know his domain very well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:47 PM
Go Dawgs

Jason, cool shootout, sounds like you had some fun! I assume the difference in the DACs outweighed the quality you were getting from the computer? As far as the DACs, I’m looking forward to the next step, even thought the Debussy won the shootout, it’s getting pretty long in the tooth, I would assume the Rossini is gonna really be quite a step up from there. Let us know what you find out!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-29-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
We initially thought about a very complicated setup so we could level match everything...but in the end, decided to make it fun ...
Smart! This hobby is supposed to be fun.

Quote:
I recognize this isn't perfect (I did play with the Lumin afterwords as a source, which did a good job taking off some of the rough digital edges when compared with the MacMini...but didn't alter the basic presentation) ... Some dacs had us tapping our toes, and some we just wanted to turn off immediately-
Perhaps, but I think there really is no such thing as a perfect listening test. Switching back and forth as on a level-matched A/B/X test is anything but fun and I don't think that's the best way to evaluate equipment.
Primary sources: VPI TNT III/SDS turntable, SME-V arm; Bryston BDP-3 digital player; Bryston BDA-3 DAC; McIntosh MVP-881 disc player; McIntosh MR-80 tuner. Preamplifier Audio Research Ref 5SE; Audio Research Ref Phono 2SE; Moon 430 HA. Amplifiers Conrad Johnson Premier 1B; Audio Research D-300; Bryston 4B. Speakers Infinity IRS Beta. Recorders Tandberg TD20A; Crown SX-822; Nakamichi 670ZX; Alesis Masterlink ML-9600. Power Tice Power Block/Titan (x2); McIntosh MPC1500; API Ultra II-20; multiple 20A derated dedicated lines.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:17 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Excellent shootout, great fun to read, thanks for sharing!

My humble suggestion, you should try to include a Meitner MA1 in your shootout, believe they trade around that same price range on the used market. Since you’re showing some interest for tube DACs, another option is the Aqua La Scala which sounds really great. And in case you’d consider Chifi (not everyone does) then Denafrips Terminator, Holo May KTE, Doge 7 (tube) and Musetec LKS-005 are all serious contenders, I’m told the later has gained good reputation in the HK audiophile circle.
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 01-29-2022, 05:19 PM
Ice Man

I had my Baltic 3 delivered 2 weeks ago and I’m very happy with the synergy.
But cannot share you much about comparable, because it’s my first separate DAC journey….Baby step.

MC601x2;MC303x1;MC150x1;C50; KRELL Foundation;OPPO95;SONY XA5400;MAC MINI;B&W802D; HTM2D;DB1X2; TANTRA 6.1 X4. JVC RS 45; SI ZERO EDGE.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:16 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I'll be curious to hear what you think of the Lampizator Baltic 3 when it arrives, 'cause in my experience, that DAC punches way above it's price class.

Also, the EMM Labs DA/2 is excellent, too. Ed Meitner know his domain very well.

I’ll be sure to report!

Old 01-29-2022, 06:18 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Jason, cool shootout, sounds like you had some fun! I assume the difference in the DACs outweighed the quality you were getting from the computer? As far as the DACs, I’m looking forward to the next step, even thought the Debussy won the shootout, it’s getting pretty long in the tooth, I would assume the Rossini is gonna really be quite a step up from there. Let us know what you find out!

- Buck

I’ve found the Berkley Alpha USB goes a long way to decouple many issues with the computer based source. That said, I’ve heard the difference a dedicated streamer makes - which is an improvement.

I’m eager to hear the Rossini as I expect it will take the qualities of the Debussy and do it all better.

If it is indeed smoother too - I may be in trouble.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:21 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
Smart! This hobby is supposed to be fun.

Perhaps, but I think there really is no such thing as a perfect listening test. Switching back and forth as on a level-matched A/B/X test is anything but fun and I don't think that's the best way to evaluate equipment.

Agreed.

We measured with toe taps and song lengths.

I could tell the Dacs which were preferred by how much longer the person who temporarily occupied the “sweet spot” seat kept a song playing.

The lower rates Dacs didn’t stay on a song for long.

The better Dacs saw much more play and a lot of leaning in, and “wow” feedback.