AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Vivid Audio

Vivid Audio Auditory Acuity

Old 08-02-2013, 03:59 PM

I think Vivid Audio is currently working on a new active version for the G1 using multiple (4 units, I believe) Devialet amps.
This would be very fun to listen to !!!

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 AM

That sounds right up Dickie's alley. I don't think he was interested in upgrading the range otherwise. He seems to like beryllium, I wonder if he would add that as well as a cost no object statement speaker.

Of course y would never get to hear such a beast. I'm not sure that the amps are ideal either. I should visit our dealer again and see if they have a more happening Giya setup than last time, just out of curiosity. I am still waiting to be floored by a pair of Giya speakers, they have always found themselves in suboptimal setups when I am around.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Hi All.

Just to note - the Active G1 system was a project shared with the Devialet Amplifier company. Our stand alone active GIYA's are very much a work in progress, in fact Laurence Dickie is busy with the development of the digital crossovers as I type! All the features and possibilities that digital crossovers make available are being developed - and of course you will be able to use any ampification you choose, Devialet is not a part of this project at all.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM

That would be an interesting project. The digital crossovers I mean

You would need a lot of Odin power cords for that system, or you would if you were an obsessive audiophile. I can say that as I have a single Odin from the wall to my setup so I guess that makes me obsessive.

Four mono blocks a side, plus power to your digital crossovers. If the crossovers are in the digital domain they would replace the DAC and preamp to avoid too many swaps from analogue to digital. You want digital to analogue only once. You would want a really top draw component I would think.

Have a giggle if you like but I put a Nordost Valhalla on my INT202 digital interface for about a year ( before I got the XPS2 power supply for the Naim DAC and it moved to the Naim component). I worked a treat on the INT202, but end of the day it added more to the XPS which runs the analogue side of the DAC. Even still, anything that requires juice seems to benefit from better power. One day soon I hope my Paul Hynes supply will finally arrive for the INT202, from the one I heard in a mates system it will make a significant improvement.

With Active Giya you would want only the best on everything I would think, given what you would spend on speakers and amps that is.

I am imagining 8 Odins,for 8 mono blocks, and then the rest. Ha har.

Oh the dilemmas of the rich and famous. It would probably be cheaper to get solar power and battery storage for you system. At least they would get you off grid where the dirty power problem comes from in the first place.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Audio View Post
Hi All.

Just to note - the Active G1 system was a project shared with the Devialet Amplifier company. Our stand alone active GIYA's are very much a work in progress, in fact Laurence Dickie is busy with the development of the digital crossovers as I type! All the features and possibilities that digital crossovers make available are being developed - and of course you will be able to use any ampification you choose, Devialet is not a part of this project at all.
Thanks Sir for your valuable update.
My post was based on older and now obsolete information, I guess.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Cellindo - not at all! Every project has a starting point - our active project has been in development for quite some time now - our designer, Laurence Dickie, has plenty of experience having designed the Nautilus active crossovers some 14 or 15 years ago (though these were analogue) and his work in the pro-audio domain also benefits our design. The digital system we are currently busy with is obviously completely different but when Devialet demonstrated to us the filtering capabilities of their D-premier, it was obvious that there were synergies that needed to be explored and so it became a tandem project. It was great fun to work with Devialet, a dynamic, smart company with a very clever product. Ultimately though we believe that most Vivid Audio owners would like to choose their own amplifiers and so the long term solution is the stand alone active system we're developing as I type...
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM

Okay, I see the thinking progression now.

Thanks for these useful clarifications. Effectively, having the possibility to select our own preferred amplifier(s) will offer the greatest flexibility.
The nice thing with the Devialet concept was probably its simplicity for the bring-up in the listening rooms.

Thanks again for these great insights about the future with Vivid Audio speakers.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I heard the Vivid Giya G2s at the CA Audio show this last weekend with a VTL 200Wpc stereo tube amp and VTL preamplification and it sounded fantastic. Room was set up by Philip O'Hanlon.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I heard the Vivid Giya G2s at the CA Audio show this last weekend with a VTL 200Wpc stereo tube amp and VTL preamplification and it sounded fantastic. Room was set up by Philip O'Hanlon.
Not surprising to me. VTL makes very good stuff. I always remember a fantastic VTL + TAD demo at the CES some years back.
So a pair G2 with the right tube electronics, it should sing very well, I guess

Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM

The Vivid were realy singing with MolaMola at the New York show.