AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 AM

Default Warranty question

The owner of the amp I was intending to purchase has just told me the warranty on it is not transferable so, in other words the 20 year is only applicable to the original buyer .

Can anyone confirm this as this takes the shine of buying it for me .

Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1 View Post
The owner of the amp I was intending to purchase has just told me the warranty on it is not transferable so, in other words the 20 year is only applicable to the original buyer .

Can anyone confirm this as this takes the shine of buying it for me .

Thanks
The warranty is transferable as long as it was purchased from an authorized Bryston dealer. Just need a copy of the original bill of sale when you purchase the amplifier.

james
Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Thank you for responding , for clarity is that when bought used from an authorised dealer, if purchased privately the warranty drops away so i assume the same would apply if a authorised dealer was selling an item on behalf of a customer as well.

Keith
Old 01-15-2014, 02:57 PM

For clarification, warranty is transferable if you get the original sales receipt and it was from an authorized dealer new? Later sales transactions are not relevant?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
For clarification, warranty is transferable if you get the original sales receipt and it was from an authorized dealer new? Later sales transactions are not relevant?
Correct.

james
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM

Sorry James not sure if i made myself clear on this

Apologies if i come across a bit slow on the up take on this are you saying if the first purchaser buys new from an authorized dealer , and then subsequently sells it on in a private sale to another private person the warranty would be still valid for the second owner as long as he has the original invoice in his possession.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 07:39 PM

From the Bryston site:

"As of 2006-02-22 Bryston will only warranty Bryston products purchased through authorized Bryston dealers. Bryston products with a date code of 0608 or higher (date code format is “yyww”, where “yy” is the two least significant digits of the year and “ww” is the week of the year) must be accompanied by a copy of the bill-of-sale from a Bryston authorized dealer to qualify for warranty service. The warranty is transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner as long as a copy of the bill-of-sale from the original authorized Bryston dealer accompanies the re-sale. The copy of the bill of sale to any subsequent owner need ONLY include the Name of the Bryston Authorized Dealer and the Model and Serial number of the Bryston product. The warranty will only be honoured in the country of the original purchase unless otherwise pre-authorized by Bryston."

The bottom line is that after 2006-02-22, "Gray Market" Bryston sales aren't covered by the warranty.

Steve
Old 01-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHV View Post

The bottom line is that after 2006-02-22, "Gray Market" Bryston sales aren't covered by the warranty.

Steve
Aren't the gray market dealers getting their Bryston's from authorized dealers? It's not like the amps are being loaded onto a truck at the loading docks in Peterborough, is it? Of course I'm referring to new stock and not used merchandise.

If a buyer buys a 100V Bryston form a Japanese retailer, the warranty should not cover a meltdown because the buyer plugged the device into a 120V mains, but, if a buyer buys a 120V 4B from Joe@DollaramaAudio because the local Bryston dealer has crap service, that's called Capitalism and survival of the fittest...
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM

"Aren't the gray market dealers getting their Bryston's from authorized dealers?"
I don't know how the supply chain worked but prior to 2006, I bought Bryston products online at, IIRC, about 35% less than MSRP.

Steve
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg1 View Post
Sorry James not sure if i made myself clear on this

Apologies if i come across a bit slow on the up take on this are you saying if the first purchaser buys new from an authorized dealer , and then subsequently sells it on in a private sale to another private person the warranty would be still valid for the second owner as long as he has the original invoice in his possession.

Thanks
Hi

Yes as long as the original purchase was through an authorized Bryston dealer the warranty is valid for any subsequent owner.

james