AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Vintage Audio

Vintage Audio Classic never goes out of Style

Old 12-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Amperex 6550 ???????

I have just received 6 nos Amperex 6550 Orange print "made in England" tubes wonder if I got taken? Black plates three getters, w 3 round holes in plates. Yellowish Alum. collar black base. Boxes are very good condition and are labeled Amperex R North American Philips Co. Seller states bought late sixties for amp and never used. I know, too good to be true. What do you think?

Lot of 6 - Amperex 6550 tubes NR! NO RESERVE! tung sol - eBay (item 140369006743 end time Dec-24-09 02:01:28 PST)
John

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 12-29-2009, 08:23 PM

The only 6550 tubes I ever saw were either: Tungsol
RCA, Sylvania, or GE. I think it was just a US tube..... Pretty interesting but not sure,might just be rebranded for Euro Mkt.??
BrzlianRswd Khorns w/ Trachorns, Crites tweeters, ALKxovrs, Modded Klipsch Belle's, JBL 4345's Basis Debut Sig. Vacuum TT, Graham Phantom tonearm, Dynavector XV1s,Tron7 Reference phonostage , C2300,2 MC2000's,MC352,Telfnkn ECC803's, siemens Triple Mica 12AT7's PPP,DBX D5 CD,Kubala emotion connects& Cables
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Just Pure Lucky

First, Amperex stated out as a small industrial tube company in Long Island, NY. After WW2, Philips acquired this company (which continued to make certain tube types in the USA, including the ubiquitous 6922), and began using them to distribute European made Philips products (including but not limited to tubes, there were also Amperex semiconductors, resistors & whatnot) in the USA. The products sold could've been from the Netherlands (made by Philips themselves), or any of their subsidiary companies, across Europe or elsewhere. So strictly speaking, there's very few tubes that were actually made by Amperex, and these tubes would've been sold in Europe under their home brand names. S o what you've got in a 1960's Amperex tube would've really been a Philips Miniwatt if it was marked "Made in Holland", a Valvo if it was made in Germany, and so forth...usually. Philips, like other tube manufacturers, was not adverse to buying in tubes from other tube manufacturers to fill out their distributor product line, so simply being labelled Amperex doesn't mean it was made by Philips or a Philips company.

Around 1980 Philips moved on from making tubes in Europe; its Amperex subsidiary wasn't doing too well & sold off their English & Dutch tube making assets and the rights to the Mullard & Amperex brand names to Richardson Electronics of La Fox, IL. They withdrew the license to use the Mullard brand name from International Electronic Components of Long Island, NY. Around the same time, in a shrewd move that greatly strengthened their position in electronic components and consumer electronics in the USA, they bought the Electronic Components and Consumer Electronics divisions of Sylvania from GTE, which included the Sylvania tube plant. This plant continued to make the same tubes, but under the new Philips ECG brandname, which doesn't have anything to do with European Philips Miniwatt, or Amperex tubes. Production ended around 1987 & Philips continued to market tubes under the Philips ECG brand name, by outsourcing tubes from current production manufacturers (when stocks of US made tubes were exhausted).

To recognize vintage 6550's, there were three unique visual designs: the coke-bottle Tung Sol, grey solid plate w/three holes (usually with numbers begining with 322 which are the Tung Sol factory codes). The rarest Tung Sol is solid black plate, no holes, white lettering on base w/date codes that were usually letters. The second design being the taller tubular shaped GE 6550A, with 2 tilted getters on top and third, the smaller Sylvania, straight sided.

The Amperex & Mullard brand names (as well as TungSol) as noted above are trademarks owned by Richardson Electronics, Ltd, which continues to market tubes under the Amperex brand name. The larger & more expensive industrial Amperex tubes are indeed made by Richardson, but the smaller tubes (like what you'd use in a usual hifi or guitar amp) are not, they're either US military surplus (usually, Philips ECG) or current production sources such as Svetlana or Tesla-JJ. New Sensor Corp is marketing new reproductions of Mullard & TungSol tubes (don't know if they own the name(s) or merely licensing their use from Richardson).

Unfortunately, and I say this in most 95% certanity -- this identical tube was listed on Upscale Audio's Tube of shame - but the photos are no longer there. Amperex never made a 6550 or KT88 even though it had that capability within it's reach or outsource tubes of that type. If it did, it would not brand it as an American designated 6550, it would in all liklihood brand it as a KT88, which is the European designation. In your case, it definitely would not brand it as a 6550 and stencil it "Made in England."

These as you purchased are manufactured in China & likely by Shuguang. They are a reproduction of a 6550; probably replicated around the GEC KT88, stenciled in rather large orange Amperex lettering and sold as a 6550 for as little as $15 each a few years ago.

On another web page, one keen tube owner noted on these Amperex 6550's -- "I do noticed numbers of this Amperex 6550 made in UK in Asia tube market, not coming out lately but at least 5-10 years, they are in T-S shape, three holes grey plate, but look deferent than a Tungsol, differ in brighter metal base, bigger 3 holes, and strange bottle shape if you hold them on hand, I thinks from China."

Kevin Deal (Upscale Audio) once reported on these Amperex 6550's (which is quite funny), one time he ran across a seller of fakes -- "There was a guy out here that was so stupid that he labeled Chinese 6550 as Amperex, and on one side of the tube he put "Made in Germany" and on the other side he put "Made in England" like the tube could not make up it's mind. Most of the folks that re-label are not tube heads or audiophiles. They are surplus and junk dealers. Some will label a used tube to sell it new. Some are so dishonest it would make your head spin."

Sorry to have reported this. If you find out otherwise -- please advise. It's extremely hard to give a 100% answer -- as I would be elated to learn you didn't spend that money wastefully. Additionally, I would love to see those tubes first hand.
Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.

Last edited by vintage_tube; 12-30-2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 AM

I didn't just fall off the truck just yesterday I do it everyday. With that said these tubes test (4) at 95 steady and (2) at 88, the stock McIntosh Test at 72. I have been listening to them this evening and they are very pleasing and easy to listen to. Much more punch on the bottom and Female vocals are clearer than the stock tubes. I put a caveat on PayPal payment conditions that if they were fakes to expect them back. Expecting NOS 6550 Tung Sols in tomorrow and GEC Canadian Sylvania's on Thursday. Any other places I can see pictures or get more information about fake Amperex would be appreciated.

ARC REF6, ARC Ref PH 2SE, ARC Ref 150SE, Esot N-05, SF Oylimpia III, Garrard 301 Reed2p, WW Silver Eclipse 8, Kimber Kable Select IC XLR

C22, MC275, MR78, PS Audio Dac, Tannoy Daltons 12" Red's Tannoy ST200 Tweeters, Kimber IC's, Mac Mini, Transparent ULTRA Speaker.

Marantz 7C, Marantz, 9, & 10B Tuner, Tannoy 15" Red's in York Corner Cabinets

ARC Ref1, ARC VT 100II, MR74, Tannoy Red 12 LSU/12/8, Spider Transcription TT, Nordost Spk Cable

Fisher 400C, MR78, Fisher SA 1000, BenchMark Dac, Auditorium 23 Speaker Cables, Tannoy Supper Red 10" LSU/III/Z Monitors

ARC SP3, MC 30's, MR67, Devore Supper 8's, Wadia i171, MicroMega Dac, Transparent Supper Spk

C20, MC75's, MR71, MS300, Tannoy 12" Golds, Auditorium 23,

C11, (2)Harmon Kardon CitationII, Shindo Montille, MC2505, McIntosh 117, Audio Research ST70, Knight KB85, Pilot Sa 232, Marantz 8B

Scott 130 Preamp, Scott 272 Int, HH Scott 250's MR71 tuner, Tube Guru F2a Mono's,
Old 12-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Remembering Dan

I wonder why I can't open these attachments...this happens from time to time.

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 12-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Bob.......I thoroughly enjoyed the tube lesson. Thank you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 AM

WOW!! That was some history lesson! You really ARE a "Vintage Tube"! Thank you !
BrzlianRswd Khorns w/ Trachorns, Crites tweeters, ALKxovrs, Modded Klipsch Belle's, JBL 4345's Basis Debut Sig. Vacuum TT, Graham Phantom tonearm, Dynavector XV1s,Tron7 Reference phonostage , C2300,2 MC2000's,MC352,Telfnkn ECC803's, siemens Triple Mica 12AT7's PPP,DBX D5 CD,Kubala emotion connects& Cables
Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrest View Post
I didn't just fall off the truck just yesterday I do it everyday. With that said these tubes test (4) at 95 steady and (2) at 88, the stock McIntosh Test at 72. I have been listening to them this evening and they are very pleasing and easy to listen to. Much more punch on the bottom and Female vocals are clearer than the stock tubes. I put a caveat on PayPal payment conditions that if they were fakes to expect them back. Expecting NOS 6550 Tung Sols in tomorrow and GEC Canadian Sylvania's on Thursday. Any other places I can see pictures or get more information about fake Amperex would be appreciated.
One individual who received a quad of these said the bass was soupy, yet pronounced and the mids were tight. Testing on a tube tester, he found they were very strong as you mentioned.

Not to say these are defective in any means of construction -- probably a good tube, if suspected is true, Shuguang is reported to make some great tubes.

Call Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio is the only authority that comes to mind who has delt extensively with these Amperex tubes.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Pete View Post
I wonder why I can't open these attachments...this happens from time to time. Pete
No 5th system until you get your computer requirement up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Bob.......I thoroughly enjoyed the tube lesson. Thank you.
You’re welcomed Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnif View Post
WOW!! That was some history lesson! You really ARE a "Vintage Tube"! Thank you !
I will take a bow.

Thanks

Bob
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 PM

All hail to the king!!