AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Default Beatles Remasters 09/09/2009

Just curious if anyone has preordered either the Beatles Mono or Stereo remastered box sets due out on 9 September??

I understand Amazon has sold out of their allotment of Mono sets.

Complete Details: Remastered Beatles on 9-9-09 - BeatlesNews.com
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts.
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_tube View Post
Just curious if anyone has preordered either the Beatles Mono or Stereo remastered box sets due out on 9 September??

I understand Amazon has sold out of their allotment of Mono sets.

Complete Details: Remastered Beatles on 9-9-09 - BeatlesNews.com
I've got The Beatles ~ The Capitol Years Box Set(contains both mono and stereo versions of each song) on CD. This set is clearly better than the original LP albums that I used to own. I'm not quite sure why these are being remastered for CD- the technology was very limited back then.
Living Presence & Living Stereo are worthy of remastering in my opinion.
I've got a few Living Presence LP remasters in classical music from Acoustic Sounds and the sound is immaculate.

In my opinion, The Beatles should only be remastered for XRCD/SACD and not on CD.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Read the article and have an open mind -- these, especially the mono's are be touted as the best to date. 9/09/2009 will tell.

Remember, mono was the deal back then -- infact, the Beatles listened to the monos & when the engineers were doing the stereo versions -- they had left the studio after hearing the monos -- didn't care for the stereo versions.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Read the article and have an open mind -- these, especially the mono's are be touted as the best to date. 9/09/2009 will tell.

Remember, mono was the deal back then -- infact, the Beatles listened to the monos & when the engineers were doing the stereo versions -- they had left the studio after hearing the monos -- didn't care for the stereo versions.
I've been burned too many times with remastered CD's only to find out later(post LP12 ) that the original LP was better.
I would be interested in a remastered LP set. I don't expect rave reviews for this new remastered CD box set version.

Maybe the label will release a LP Box Set version as well- I'll probably buy that.

I have quite a few mono LP's in my library and they do sound quite nice.

Last edited by gregswaim; 08-16-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Roger that Greg -- There are very soft words being spoken by EMI etc., that a vinyl box set is/maybe in the works.

I pre-ordered both, FWIW.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Roger that Greg -- There are very soft words being spoken by EMI etc., that a vinyl box set is/maybe in the works.

I pre-ordered both, FWIW.
Thanks Bob! I'll keep a close watch on the Acoustic Sounds web site in the event.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

I'm a little disappointed that a SACD is not offered. Having said that if the remastered cd is as good as the Beatles Love cd I will buy it.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I'm a little disappointed that a SACD is not offered. Having said that if the remastered cd is as good as the Beatles Love cd I will buy it.
This is being directed to the masses & thus SACD has a limited audience. There is high expectation on these remasters -- which they have been working on for 4 years -- are going to be the cats meow.

I'm really excited about the mono box set myself -- I'll make a guess at this point, from what i've read and discussed with others -- these mono versions, individual CD's and the box sets will set sales records.

Several more weeks and we'll know.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Not interested.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Vintage listener

I am cautiously optimistic about the set. If it sounds as good as the 'Love' album, I am very interested. It just depends how good a job they did on it.