AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Eddy, do you change the BNC cable in the P02 coming from clock to the 10MHz input connector? (Not in the word sync in input). If so, and also you have under the menu option CLKIN> set to 10M, it should work.

If not the other alternative to check is the configuration of the clock. Understnad that is ok since it works with DAC, and I do not think you can have one 10M output open and the other closed like you can with A, B and C outputs.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:14 AM

BTW, why do you want to connect it using 10M?
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Colekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Tom,

Thanks for sharing P-02/D-02 set up from esoteric guy.
The clock hook up that he said
" Once you get the G-01, you would connect both the D-02 and the P-02 to the output of the G-01." is the same as my set up but there are still many details in this hook up .But I can not get both P-02/D-02 connect to G-01 via 10M out .
That is the issue that I can not find the answer. I can only get G-01 connect to D-02 via 10M then connect D-02 word out to P-02 word in and set word out in D-02 to MCK .

One other thing, are you using a preamp?
>>> Yes I'm using a preamp . Mine is Viola " Solo " ( 4 chasis preamp )
Eddy, I am using a Preamp, it is the Esoteric C-02, so that makes it entirely Esoteric front end, although I have been listening to my server straight into the amps, and like that alot, with the D-02/P-02 I like it better through the Preamp, it sounds much more natural to me!
The whole system is so new that it 's sound is still developing, I still have a slight harshness in the upper registers, I expect it to come together as it settles in , and the clock will help too.
As Eilii points out, this is a set of components capable of highly realistic sound reproduction and the set up, cabling, and proper voicing can make a great sound reproduction, or frustrate the shit out of you... But its not the components, its always the recording or the patience of the owners.

Last edited by Colekat; 11-09-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Default G-01/K-01 Settings and 10MHz (from Tim Crable)

This one could also be posted in several other Esoteric discussions, but I figured it might be of most benefit in this one. It concerns questions I had with my K-01/G-01 combination, specifically regarding the 10MHz connections. Quoting from an email received from Tim Crable:

Q2: Are there any sonic (audible) advantages to using the 10MHz synchronization frequency instead of 176.4kHz?

A2: There are no audible advantages that I can hear or that make any sense mathematically. The 10MHz is there to allow you to synchronize with other standard technologies like GPS signals.

Q5: What settings would you recommend to get the best out my two Esoteric units??

Q5: The settings are there to allow you to fine tune or hone your system based on the character and capabilities of all the components. If your system is on the bright side, then adjust a filter mike help round out the performance. If your system is less detailed then a different filter might be tried.

The G-01 set to 176.4 kHz (Rubidium) is the best setting, in my opinion.

The K-01 settings should be:

Up-Convert = X 4 fs (or DSD to brighten up a dull system)
Digital Filter = S_DLY2 most preferred by owners
Word = ON
Attenuation = OFF if you have a preamp, ON if you're using the K-01 as your volume control
USB - HS-2 if possible. HS-1 if the K-01 won't lock to your server or P.C.
Analog OUT = set to whichever you are using.
XLR OUTPUT GAIN = 0db if your running the volume control towards the middle of the volume travel. Set to +6db if you're too close to MAX on your volume control.
DIGITAL OUT = Off is preferred if you don't have anything hooked up to the digital inputs.
DISPLAY = set to 15 minutes dimming. The less time the FL display is on, the less noise it can generate and the longer it will last.

Based on the advice given by Tim, I gave up on the idea of using the 10MHz clock connections. The advice about turning off the FL display mirrors the same advice found in a X-03SE review written several years ago.

Ken B.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Good stuff Ken, thanks for sharing. Find it interesting the explanation about xlr gain. I do find this setting does affect the sound in my system, and not only raises the gain.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7215 View Post
This one could also be posted in several other Esoteric discussions, but I figured it might be of most benefit in this one. It concerns questions I had with my K-01/G-01 combination, specifically regarding the 10MHz connections. Quoting from an email received from Tim Crable:

Q2: Are there any sonic (audible) advantages to using the 10MHz synchronization frequency instead of 176.4kHz?

A2: There are no audible advantages that I can hear or that make any sense mathematically. The 10MHz is there to allow you to synchronize with other standard technologies like GPS signals.

Q5: What settings would you recommend to get the best out my two Esoteric units??

Q5: The settings are there to allow you to fine tune or hone your system based on the character and capabilities of all the components. If your system is on the bright side, then adjust a filter mike help round out the performance. If your system is less detailed then a different filter might be tried.

The G-01 set to 176.4 kHz (Rubidium) is the best setting, in my opinion.

The K-01 settings should be:

Up-Convert = X 4 fs (or DSD to brighten up a dull system)
Digital Filter = S_DLY2 most preferred by owners
Word = ON
Attenuation = OFF if you have a preamp, ON if you're using the K-01 as your volume control
USB - HS-2 if possible. HS-1 if the K-01 won't lock to your server or P.C.
Analog OUT = set to whichever you are using.
XLR OUTPUT GAIN = 0db if your running the volume control towards the middle of the volume travel. Set to +6db if you're too close to MAX on your volume control.
DIGITAL OUT = Off is preferred if you don't have anything hooked up to the digital inputs.
DISPLAY = set to 15 minutes dimming. The less time the FL display is on, the less noise it can generate and the longer it will last.

Based on the advice given by Tim, I gave up on the idea of using the 10MHz clock connections. The advice about turning off the FL display mirrors the same advice found in a X-03SE review written several years ago.

Ken B.

Thanks Ken,

I'll be getting my K-01 before too long and this info is a big help.

Ken
Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Thanks Ken,

I'll be getting my K-01 before too long and this info is a big help.

Ken

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Colekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
Tom,

Thanks for sharing P-02/D-02 set up from esoteric guy.
The clock hook up that he said
" Once you get the G-01, you would connect both the D-02 and the P-02 to the output of the G-01." is the same as my set up but there are still many details in this hook up .But I can not get both P-02/D-02 connect to G-01 via 10M out .
That is the issue that I can not find the answer. I can only get G-01 connect to D-02 via 10M then connect D-02 word out to P-02 word in and set word out in D-02 to MCK .

One other thing, are you using a preamp?
>>> Yes I'm using a preamp . Mine is Viola " Solo " ( 4 chasis preamp )
Eddy, The 10 Mhz hook- up is only for GPS synchonization, I do not believe it is a clock output for the Transport and DAC, that is why no one is able to use it as a clock output. There may be benefits of using GPS as to further tailor the sound, but I'm not sure what they are.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Colekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Tom,

These were definitely my favorite settings for CD playback when I auditioned the D-02. Are these the settings that you use?

Ken
Hey Ken, I used the S-dly 1 with 4x upsampling with the K-01, but a lot of CDs are produced from Master Tapes that can be bright, and I find that 2x's or no upsampling can help with that, but at the cost of some dynamic range. But the really good CDs I have, Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Basie and the Kansas City 7, Diana Krall Live in Paris, etc. sound much better with 4x's on the K-01 and 8x's on the D-02 with S- Dly2. Thats whats great about the Esoterics, you fool around and compensate for alot of issues on the playback. It can be a bit of a pain in the ass, but we all have different tastes and season our music differently. I think you need to like the base Esoteric house sound to begin with, and not everyone does.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Colekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelii08 View Post
Good stuff Ken, thanks for sharing. Find it interesting the explanation about xlr gain. I do find this setting does affect the sound in my system, and not only raises the gain.
Absolutely, The xlr 0 defanitely seems better to me. It seems brighter when the 6 db gain is realized!