AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 09-11-2022, 07:34 PM

My Wavlet 2 should be here in a few weeks. I wanted to put together a raspberry pi endpoint so I could compare usb directly into the Wavelet vs streaming dac into preamp then into the wavelet. In past comparison’s I liked them both. The raspberry pi can also do spdif and I’d like to hear that too. The Valor review in The Absolute Sound stated the wavelet 2 can also receive AES/EBU and SPDIF (24-bit/192Hz); TosLink (24-bit/96kHz). Has anyone tried the AES/EBU? I assume it’s also over a coax cable.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:46 AM

I have not as I only use analog XLR inputs,...
Old 09-30-2022, 07:28 PM

I just installed the iso acoustic Gaia 1 feet on Aeris and have been listening for about half an hour. First off, they are staying. I feel like the bass is stronger and even more authoritative. The soundstage is bigger in all directions and they look nice. I’ll give more impression’s after more listening.

Last edited by Rick U; 09-30-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick u View Post
i just installed the iso acoustic gaia 1 feet on aeris and have been listening for about half an hour. First off, they are staying. I feel like the bass is stronger and even more authoritative. The soundstage is bigger in all directions and they look nice. I’ll give more impression’s after more listening.

IMG_2055.jpgIMG_2054.jpg

Last edited by Rick U; 09-30-2022 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:31 PM

Those look great, congratulations!

I know of 3 others with AERIS who use those with similarly fantastic results.
Old 02-28-2023, 05:17 PM

SCAudiophile. I was wondering if u can comment on Aeris vs current V system. I have heard Aeris not V system. I’m trying to c if worth stretching for V system money wise. Thx!
Old 03-03-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswiener View Post
SCAudiophile. I was wondering if u can comment on Aeris vs current V system. I have heard Aeris not V system. I’m trying to c if worth stretching for V system money wise. Thx!
Just seeing this....I am on the road all week with family matters to take care of. I will try to write up a post over the weekend.
Old 03-04-2023, 01:58 PM

@Eswiener

There are a few places to read up on various V and owner comparisons in addition to this is Audiogon; search for "Legacy V" and you'll find quite a bit including contributions and pointers to reviews by Doug Schroeder on Dagogo over the years for V, Valor and I believe AERIS as well. You'll also find various posts from me there so i won't copy-paste all the parts here.

Overall the biggest difference between V and AERIS is centered around two things, the type of music you listen to and presentation you prefer, and the size of your room. AERIS will fill a big room (19 x 26 x 9, open doorways and long hallway on one side in my case) very easily and probably an even larger room. They can also sound wonderful in a 14 x 17 room or similarly sized room (ncluding square if that is what you are living with) or even larger open spaces. Wavelet with AERIS (like V) will take care of many things that usually would plague a normal passive speaker owner and would necessitate possibly quite extensive room treatments.

The V are capable of filling an even larger room or sounding great in a medium-sized room. Given the driver sizes and layout, I would not advise them in a smallish room (14 x 15, 14 x 13, etc) simply due to the volume of bass they put out. That stated I believe AERIS and V both "get down" to the 16-18 Hz region equally well, the difference with V is the larger volume I believe they are capable of filling.

The V is a prime speaker choice if you like club-size presentation, rock concert, etc...it resolves well and images well however I have found that AERIS, Whisper XDS and Valor are the pinpoint imaging champs (also 3D sound-staging champs) in the line with V a close 2nd (still easily besting many other higher priced speakers) while AERIS and Valor are also capable of that "big" ensemble/rock or other concert venue magic. This assessment based upon spending several entire days across multiple listening sessions with V in various rooms; it is possible that I would hear even more from V if I had owned them.

I found (opinion) AERIS, Whisper XDS and Valor from the top of the line (like V) to be more to my preferences for listening in that I want a speaker that will pinpoint image, 3D sound stage as well as handle the big stuff without
losing the ability to resolve solo instruments within a full big concert (symphony or other) playback. V does incredibly well however I think detail while playing back at higher SPL and bigger ensembles are better conveyed by AERIS, Whisper XDS and particularly Valor.

AERIS has a 10" midrange driver which is fantastic and another differentiator. Valor has 14" bass, 14" mid-bass and 14" midrange drivers....if you want to push a boundary, "save up for a once and done speaker", etc...I would look also at Valor.

FYI, AERIS bass....very fast, very agile and tuneful.

AERIS and V upper frequency extension, air, transients/sense of space, etc...on par with each other I would say due to similar approaches using AMT tweeter assemblies.

Don't get me wrong, V is a fine speaker and depending upon what you play, could be much better for you than AERIS.

Sorry for the delay in responding....this topic is much more fully and easily discussed via phone,....happy to give many more specifics and album/track references for differences I remember in listening sessions between the 2 anytime from tomorrow onward...

A very good friend on Agon (see virtual systems "Steve's Vs", has owned the V speakers for years and uses them in a big room with a 6-pak of JL 113v2 subs (wow!); he is a music lover and knows more about V in real life than anyone I know. i would suggest connectiving with him as well!

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 03-09-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:44 PM

My wavelet II has arrived. I just got it set up this morning and without fiddling with anything I can tell I already love it but I will most likely have many hours of listening before I can give any impressions. The new dashboard includes Omnio, Omnio +, and Omnio Bypass. Can anyone give me an idea of what to listen for as I switch this setting? I know it has to do with Stereo Unfold Technology and Chanel separation. Does it affect tone or the soundstage ?
Old 03-16-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick U View Post
My wavelet II has arrived. I just got it set up this morning and without fiddling with anything I can tell I already love it but I will most likely have many hours of listening before I can give any impressions. The new dashboard includes Omnio, Omnio +, and Omnio Bypass. Can anyone give me an idea of what to listen for as I switch this setting? I know it has to do with Stereo Unfold Technology and Chanel separation. Does it affect tone or the soundstage ?
Congratulations on your Aeris and your new Wavelet II. OMNIO Bypass is Aeris+Wavelet with room correction as before, no Stereo Unfold (pseudo processing in case of Aeris) as before.

I would suggest getting a detailed explanation from Legacy as to how they have mimicked SUT (OMNIO) processing for Aeris as they do not have the SUT driver array like Valor does. My Aeris and Wavelet v1 did not have this as it is a very recent software upgrade.

With Valor OMNIO is the latest set of Wavelet v2 algos that seem to favor center stage imaging and depth vs OMNIO+, which is the original Wavelet v1 OMNIO (no predisposition to favor center stage+depth so allowed immersive and far left and right imaging, panning, etc much closer to what is on the recording) enhanced to take advantage of the move from a 56bit DSP to the 64bit DSP in the v2 platform. With Valor, the extra driver array is leveraged when either OMNIO is engaged. The top and side array is bypassed when Omnio Bypass turns off the algos.

I do not know the nature of the Aeris implementation so best to go to the source on this question.