AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 01-04-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdotson41 View Post
@Andresmith76 I can tell you without a doubt the 20.7 are on a different level than the 3.7i. I truly believe the 20.7 represents the best value in highend audio. Properly setup they give you the speed, realism, air and all the 3D dimensionality that you want. Bass is again real, no bloat or over exaggerated like you get from cone speakers. I bought mine sound unheard as my dealer didn’t have them either and could not be happier.
tdotson41 - thank you. Your assessment seems to be in sync with what others have said regarding the extreme high-quality sound of the Magnepan 20.7's.
Since my original post, Magnepan has advised the closest vendor having a pair setup for audition is in Santa Fe, New Mexico. As I live in north Denver, it's going to take a while before I can make the trip. I've contacted the vendor and he's told me he also has the 3.7i's and 30.7's setup for comparison. I am so looking forward to this tour of aural indulgence!
Old 01-04-2023, 05:11 PM

My 2 cents, go with REL over SVS for the sub support! I've had both (as well as JL)...
Old 01-06-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post
My 2 cents, go with REL over SVS for the sub support! I've had both (as well as JL)...
I've also used REL subs - in particular 2 ea. Storm III units. In my opinion, the SB-16 Ultra's go much deeper and sound more solid below 50-45 Hz. I also appreciate the SVS phone app that allows the user to tweak and adjust the the sub's amplifier parameters real-time - much more accurate, easier to tweak and dial in listening from the main listening position. I've been able to integrate the SVS's nicely with my 3.5R's and have received similar positive comments from others saying the same. I'll start with upgrading my Magnepan's and listen to how well the SVS's "play" with them before making any more purchase decisions.