AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
Troels Gravesen has interesting opinions about high efficiency speakers and how manufacturers frequently overstate the sensitivity of their speakers.

Bookshelf speakers generally sacrifice low end to get reasonable efficiency and/or power handling. Since you seem amenable to running a subwoofer, that wouldn't appear to be an issue. I have had great success with the SUPER 3i from Omega Loudspeakers. I can attest that they are a genuine 94dB and sound wonderful and much bigger than they actually are. If you were planning on putting them on speaker stands, you might be better off with the SUPER 3XRS, which offers a bit more bass extension and does not need a stand.

A lot of people have had great success with these running them with Decware Super Zen Triode amps - 2wpc triode-connected SE EL84 amps.
How were you able to verify the claimed sensitivity of the Super 3i? Possible to know this for the SAMs?

edit: found this........

Quote:
Grab a CD with a 1kHz test tone and play it. Unhook speaker from receiver and measure across the + and - terminals of one channel. Turn up volume until volt meter says 2.83 volts. Hook speaker back up and play test tone again without changing volume. See what Radio Shack SPL meter reads.
I have a multimeter and test tone files. Looks like I could get an approximation myself. My best spl meter is the old trusty Radio Shack though, so not the most accurate around.

Last edited by jdandy; 09-08-2016 at 02:27 PM. Reason: remove active links from non-sponsor seller in quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:35 PM

You would recommend the Super 3i over the Super Alnico Monitor?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I suppose that I could pay for the upgrade to my SEP by selling my very expensive U52 rectifier.
I've got a couple of the fat bottle U52's. I assume that's the one you have. I just checked ebay and they have already jumped in price from when I obtained mine a year+ ago. I would hate to sell off some of the best in the collection though, even if the upgrade made the choice of rectifier less critical. Maybe we could get $1000 for one in a few more years!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
You would recommend the Super 3i over the Super Alnico Monitor?
jumping in with .02... The 3i should be higher sensitivity than the SAM. Louis has it at 94.5db while the SAM is now at 95db. He revised that from 93db a few months ago though I've not seen any info on why. I don't think because there was any change in the design.

If you want to go Omega (a good choice IMO), consider one of his new 1.5 way designs. Would be more expensive and larger, but reports are very good so far and the second driver bumps the sensitivity up to something like 99db. The second driver has low pass at 500Hz so the first driver will still be full range without a crossover. It just gets a much smaller load.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 PM

I can't tell you which direction to go - Super 3 or Super Alnico - without understanding your musical tastes, room, system design, and budget. I own both, and the Alnico does most things better, but the Super 3 has a better top end. If you are working with a small room it might be easier to integrate the Super 3. If you have a limited budget (like most of us), the Super 3 will fit in better into an overall system design.

If I were starting from scratch and was working with a smaller rom (say, less than 200 sq ft), I would go with a pair of Super 3 stand mounts and a single or pair of Rhythmik Dual Low Inertia Subwoofers. They can run up to 150-hz easily and will keep up with the speed of the RS5 driver in the Super 3.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Oh, I'm just kicking tires. I'm set in my primary system with my Von Schweikert towers. Must admit I've never been a big high efficiency / full-range speaker guy. My VS are 4-way with very complex crossovers, some 4th order, some 2nd order. I love 'em.

My favorite bookshelf speakers that I've heard have been Sonus Faber, Joseph Audio, and Harbeth. My current Focal Aria 906 are pretty good, not overwhelming good, although they were named by The Absolute Sound as one of their top picks for a bookshelf speaker.

I do have a small pair of Fostec speakers, using their FE126Ne full range driver. It's okay but I find it somewhat fatiguing.

I'm entertaining the idea of selling off some of my gear and then looking for a more efficient monitor for my 2nd system, maybe in the $2000-$3000 range and probably used. Definitely not a tower speaker, I'm already set there. Maybe something like this:
REFERENCE 3A - MM de Capo BE
Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I suppose that I could pay for the upgrade to my SEP by selling my very expensive U52 rectifier.
You might be able to get another amp with the proceeds.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
jumping in with .02... The 3i should be higher sensitivity than the SAM......
Hmm I see there's no talk about the Alnico Compact.
Been waiting on them for five weeks, get them this Monday.
Hope I bought a good model for the Fire-Bottle pairing.

It has "R" compound too.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post
Does anybody have any idea how much Dennis would charge to add the new power suply circuit to a PSE amplifier?

Cheers,

David
Guitar Dave's amp just sold for the opening bid of $1,800. Since the upgrade looks to have a minimum number of expensive parts, the upgrade including two way shipping plus insurance should still be able to keep you under the insider price of the unit new from Dennis.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
You might be able to get another amp with the proceeds.
Since the lest expensive tube amp in my arsenal was (a screaming deal at) $1,100 I would have to sell more than one U52. Since the only thing that may tempt me is a McIntosh MC225, I think I am safe for the moment.