AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Balanced Audio Technology

Balanced Audio Technology Balanced Design, Balanced Sound

Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Dawgneck, I have been turning on my VK-600SE by hand (it irritates me ). I have not looked for a solution yet. Let me know if you find one first.

I have not heard the VK-655SE or even know much about it. For something demo'd at CES 2011, it is odd to me that it is not yet on the BAT website. Beyond the "second generation" capacitors and a "redesigned power supply" I have not heard any details. If you have more, tell, tell!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBaird View Post
Randy,

I'm still heartily enjoying my BAT VK-300xSE integrated amp.

I am actually currently auditioning a used VK-250SE amp and a demo VK-42SE preamp. This combination also goes very well with my Wilson Audio Sophia 2's.

I'm debating getting both, or perhaps just getting the VK-250SE for the nonce, and using the integrated as my preamp.

Which ever way I go, I'll be enjoying great music!
Bill, go for both. I found the addition of the BAT VK-52SE preamp to big a big improvement over the W4S STP, which I had thought was already spectacular. Bat + Wilson really is magic.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM

You are right, Randy: BAT's website does not have the new amp listed.

Victor mentioned it during a telephone conversation yesterday and it shocked me. He said they'll update the website but didn't mention when. Perhaps after their dealers get a chance to empty their stash of 600's?

I would've purchased the 600SE anyway but I wish I'd known beforehand... I could've used that info during my negotiations on the 600SE.

Anyway, I picked up my amp yesterday (a 10-hr round trip drive), swapped out the Krell a few hours ago and I'm listening to music now!

I love this amp! It sound goods with the VK-5i and directly fed by my Logitech Transporter.

Now I'm contemplating keeping the VK-5i or using the Transporter or Mark Levinson no39 CD player/DAC to feed the 600SE.

What are your thoughts on buying the 52SE or using the Transporter/ML 39?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Dawgneck.

Do you mind telling us your first name?

I am a big believer in preamps instead of direct feeding the source to the amp. I know the straight wire with gain theory, but I think the preamp controls the low voltage of the source in a way that one hears. In my system, the addition of the VK-52SE added width to the sound stage and a much more organic feel to the music. I lost a trace of bass control over what the Wyred 4 Sound STP had provided, but obtained a far more lifelike mid-range.

Congrats on the VK-600SE! Effortless, seemingly infinite power. It is a beast. By the way, mine made a large leap in performance by putting it on an amp stand with some vibration control. Mine is just a heavy white maple stand on spikes, but it really helped. The upgrade path will add a Symposium Svelte Plus pad at some point.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM

Randy,

My name is Ray. I have 7 posts to go before I'm able to modify my signature....

I finished today's listening session.

The 600se is incredible! A perfect amp for the type of music I listen to (mostly jazz, vocals, neo-soul & organ pipes). The difference in the mids and highs is astounding. It doesn't matter if the 600 is driven directly by sources or by the VK-5i, the music sounds natural.

In comparison, the Krell can get a bit harsh in the upper freqs when driven directly by my sources. It sounds fine when its hooked to the VK-5i. My ears say the Krell handles the bass a little better/different, but I want to complete further comparisons before offering a conclusion on the bass.

I prefer the VK-5i feeding the sources to the amp. I'm not ready to abandon my Onkyo T-9090 tuner either so my search for a 52se continues.

I heard the 600se runs hot.... You guys don't know what hot is until you run a Krell! The 600se runs ice cold in comparison. It's only warm to the touch - I can't touch my Krell after 15 minutes.

I can't wait to get the 52se on this baby!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 PM

I, too love BAT. I've got the BAT VK-P5 and it sounds great. Today, there are so many great amps. I just recently (2 days ago) installed my Pass Labs XA-100.5 amp and the XP-20 preamp into my system and the Watt Puppy's have never sounded so good.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Ray, my BAT gear definitely heats the room - but I also tend to run at least 4 hours at a time.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM

Question, Randy:

I have a local dealer who has a good deal on a 32se. He states the 32se sounds warmer in the midrange, compared to the 52se.

Did you audition/research the 32se before purchasing the 52se? If so, what did you learn about the sound differences?

Can you share anything else about the differences between the two?

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgneck View Post
Question, Randy:

I have a local dealer who has a good deal on a 32se. He states the 32se sounds warmer in the midrange, compared to the 52se.

Did you audition/research the 32se before purchasing the 52se? If so, what did you learn about the sound differences?

Can you share anything else about the differences between the two?

Thanks.
Ray,

I went straight to the VK-52SE without auditioning a VK-32SE. Which tube configuration does the dealer unit have? It can be (1) 6C19, (2) 5881, or (3) 6H30. The VK-52SE has 6H30's and I love the way that midrange sounds, which I would put at a tick towards the warm side from neutral. For me, I would not want it any warmer, but that is intensely subjective and YMMV.

Based on reading specs and history, I am going to guess that the VK-52SE has more reserve current and therefore a more "effortless" sound (mine is liquid, I love it), but you have to take that with a grain of salt because I have not actually heard a VK-32SE. I based that assumption of the second generation oil in paper capacitors in the VK-52SE.

Sorry I am not being much help. After hearing the VK-600SE amp (I was enthralled) and being unable to afford a REX preamp, I just went as high as I could go, which was the VK-52SE.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:27 AM

Thanks, Randy.

I don't know the tube configuration of the dealer's 32SE. My VK-5i sounds pretty warm, so I like what you wrote about the 52SE being "a tick towards the warm side from neutral".

I decided to put a deposit on the 52SE tomorrow (the dealer has to order it).

If I buy the 32SE, I'll always wonder what I'm missing.

I can't wait.

Thanks again.