AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 05-31-2023, 10:24 AM

Thanks, Analog Addict!
Just to be sure I am reading that correctly, the max output is 18V, not 1.8V; correct?
Chris
Old 05-31-2023, 01:31 PM

correct
Old 05-31-2023, 05:33 PM

Analog Addict,

Do you find a preamp is necessary for gain or does the volume knob provide enough?

>>> ...a brand new 300b-v. An amazing amp bested only by the PSE version. I would be very happy to own this amp, but it is already spoken for...

:-(
Old 05-31-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefffeith View Post
Analog Addict,

Do you find a preamp is necessary for gain or does the volume knob provide enough?

>>> ...a brand new 300b-v. An amazing amp bested only by the PSE version. I would be very happy to own this amp, but it is already spoken for...

:-(
Depends on the voltage of the input device. What were you thinking of using?
Old 06-03-2023, 02:21 PM

My final conclusion comparing the 300B-v to my other tube amp: the 300B is obviously so much better there is no reason to keep the other amp. A friend was over last night, he has a high end system, knows what to listen for. We played the other amp for an hour, he said it sounds really good as always. When he heard the 300B he said it was like a haze was lifted, the details come through so clear, transparent and focused. He said the bass was just as good as the 30 watt KT-66 amp. The sound stage depth and width were equal.

It was nice getting confirmation that what I was hearing was true.

I did a lot of level matched listening tests in the last week. Aside from that, realized when just listening to the 300B for enjoyment, I sometimes had it at levels higher than my usual with the other amp. So one test was to play 4 tracks at 75-80dB. This was Latin jazz with a lot going on, large group of instruments, lots of percussion and rhythm instruments, lots of bass. The 300B was comfortable and sounded fantastic. It felt uncomfortable with the other amp. Maybe it was the haze that amp seems to have. Turn it up and the haze gets louder too.

With the 300B individual instruments are clear and distinct from each other, even when a group are playing together. Leading edge of horn sections have more bite, crisp and clear. A sax solo does not get swallowed up by all the rhythm instruments and bass in the background. Same for cymbals, bells, Timbales, wood block sounds. The decay of a piano is more present.

The purity and presence of the 300B-v is really something. We listening to all types of jazz from small group to big band, including some close to rock like Bill Frisell the East West album, and Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood the Juice album.

Last edited by timeout59; 06-03-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:05 AM

Hello timeout59,
Nice sound description.
this largely coincides with the experiences I have also had. the KT88SEP is a great amplifier, but the 300b in my case the DJH variant plays in a different league. Some time ago I had made the attempt with the LP2030 pre and the power amplifier of my Symphonic Line. Similar sound tuning. Maybe a little more power vs aura. both good. but in the long run, the 300b has set itself apart a little in terms of timbres and internal dynamics. I never had the feeling that anything was missing, not even in the bass, neither control, speed nor power. I have a 93dB horn speaker.
Hopefully the 300b will be repaired soon, it is missing for my salvation.

PS
Bill Frisell, East West: great album
Old 06-04-2023, 10:37 AM

Stopped by the shop to drop off the PSE GK6'er chassis project. Dennis received his new special expensive Chinese 2A3 tubes for the 2A3 amp. Sounds really nice. (Still available)

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr

Dennis in the listening position....

Untitled by analog addict, on Flickr
Old 06-04-2023, 11:08 AM

I went with NOS RCA black plate 2a3’s but if Mr. Had likes these tubes it’s “food for thought “
The Linlai’s sure look snazzy. After all the WE300B’s in the mighty 300PSE seem to have hit it out of the park. Related to that, I would like to hear what was so funny the other day when you substituted the 300PSE in place of the large KT amp? Someone told me I should ask about that. Also, are there any new updates concerning the Inspire 3.1 speakers yet? Can’t wait to hear more about your 9-pin PSE with the Vagas PS. We live in interesting times in more than one way. Thanks
Old 06-04-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBess View Post
I would like to hear what was so funny the other day when you substituted the 300PSE in place of the large KT amp? Someone told me I should ask about that. Also, are there any new updates concerning the Inspire 3.1 speakers yet? Can’t wait to hear more about your 9-pin PSE with the Vagas PS. We live in interesting times in more than one way. Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by 'funny". I went back and looked, but couldn't find the reference.

We seem to be in a bit of a lull regarding the 3.1 speakers. Dennis hasn't given me the final configuration, so still waiting on that. The PSE GK6'er chassis is at the shop waiting on Straitwire's attention, so it's out of my hands for now.
I have a couple of weeks of out of town work starting next week, so I'll be hit or miss for the next couple of weeks...
Old 06-04-2023, 03:20 PM

Someone not on this site told me that I should ask analog addict what happened when switching from the KT-170 to the 300PSE. Then added “Allan & I could not stop laughing”.
So I’m thinking more gleeful “funny” rather than 3 dollar bill funny money or something that smells funny (bad not humorous) Thank you for the initial quick reply.