AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 03-10-2021, 01:38 PM

Default Weighing in at a svelte 180 pounds ... my new turntable (and phono pre)!

I previously had the Clear Audio Innovation (Wood), which I really liked. I had it put away while I was doing a renovation on our home, but I admit that the glow had faded for me. It took me a little while to get it set up after I returned, but I got it running and had a setup guy do things professionally, so it was sounding pretty good. Then, the damn thing went basically dead one Saturday night while I had some of the few friends who actually care for this stuff over. I have returned the Clear Audio to the dealer and then to Clear Audio to have that thing sorted (and sold by the dealer). That was the end of that one and I got what I really wanted.

What I really wanted was the J. Sikora Standard Max, in silver (with a brass insert). I heard the Initial (lower level) last year and I was struck by world class workmanship at something (not a lot) less than world class prices. I also wanted to end up with two arms (which I am maintaining with my wife are absolutely necessary to sonic purity). So, I located a demo copy here in the states and after much ado, it finally arrived last week and was installed last weekend.

I paired it with the J. Sikora Kevlar uni-pivot arm, which I really like. Given the current abysmal state of my audio bank account, I used my current Lyra > Kleos cartridge on that arm. Sikora originally paired their tables with Kuzma arms (before they made their own arms). That was my initial desire for a second arm, but for whatever reason, I went with an arm from a different manufacturer, which by all reports should have done just fine. Then, it shows up and the copy I received was NOT THE SAME as the one on the internet and, even worse, the documentation didn’t match the arm. Turns out it needed a lifter that did not ship with it, and after a hopeful trip to Home Depot on Sunday morning, that didn’t work, I ditched the whole thing. I have a Kuzma 4point11 on the way, so the second arm should be situated in the next few weeks.

Last fall, I had purchased the LampiZator MC2 phono pre (which made all of this fussing around even more painful, because I couldn't listen to a table with my new phono stage). The MC2 Silver (supports XLR and RCA and multiple arms) has that wonderful tube sound and was engineered by Lukasz Ficus (who also does their DACs). I heard the “alpha” version of it this time last year, so I was sure of the sound signature it would deliver. Like all of the Lampi stuff, the aesthetics are a few steps (but not too many) above DIY aesthetics, but that’s somehow part of what appeals to me. Basically, the sound of the phono pre was — in my unsophisticated mind as far as these things go — the analog version of the LampiZator Pacific, with which I am head over heels in love.

As to sound quality, the combination vastly exceeds my expectations. I really never thought I would get the system to this level. Relaxed, detailed, depth, breadth, just awesome. It only took about 7 months (from the time I put my Accuphase phono pre up for sale) to get it sorted, but it was worth the work. Now, I can just sit back and clean records and listen to all of the vinyl I purchased over the last couple of years while I had no way to listen to it!

Here's a picture of the J. Sikora, which really does weigh 180 pounds. It's a damn beast for sure, but the sound is incredible. I guess I have an all-Polish analog front end, which sounds great. Highly recommended:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 437c2e4f-4685-48b4-a3b7-d5d97f1a5edd.JPG (85.9 KB, 352 views)
Old 03-10-2021, 02:09 PM

I've never heard of this brand, that looks like a beast. Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I've never heard of this brand, that looks like a beast. Enjoy!
Several of us spent some time in the Joseph Audio room at RMAF a couple of years ago.....they were using a J. Sikora table....it looked amazing and sounded great too. Looking forward to checking out Jim's. Should serve him for years to come!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 03-11-2021, 04:09 PM
Life is beautiful

Congrats!
Beautiful piece of kit!

Wow, how did you get it on that rack?

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-11-2021, 04:39 PM

Congratulations Jim! What a beautiful TT.

Do you have any pictures of both racks showing Lampi DAC, Phono and new TT?
Old 03-11-2021, 07:27 PM

I am at our house in the mountains this week. Will post those this weekend.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:30 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Congrats!
Beautiful piece of kit!

Wow, how did you get it on that rack?
Most impressive piece of gear.
And, the Kleos is no slouch.
Will guess it came in 7 or 8 major pieces and is 'stacked' together, making it manageable (if ~30# pieces of slippery metal are considered 'manageable').
No doubt, a very 'substantial' rack it is sitting on.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-12-2021, 08:01 AM

Default Weighing in at a svelte 180 pounds ... my new turntable (and phono pre)!

Yes to all of that. The platter is like a home work out weight. The two plinths took two people to get in place, but once in place, it’s not going anywhere. It shipped all in one massive wooden box on a pallet, but I took it out piece by piece. The record clamp weighs five pounds! It can be separated, but I haven’t checked the impact on sound quality yet.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:30 PM

Congrats! I’m all for high moving mass turntables. They just sound right to me.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 03-13-2021, 05:36 PM
Penuriophile