AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:29 PM

Default Streaming MQA

While I’m not new to digital streaming, a lot of things have changed since my Squeezebox days in 2007. While I enjoy vinyl and R2R recordings, the world is at your fingertips when streaming endless possibilities with a lot of streaming service options. I have had higher end DACs(MDA 1000), but as I venture back into streaming, I want to make sure my components are working together and I’d like to reduce the number of boxes in my system. Right now I am streaming both Qobuz and Tidal from a Bluesound node 2i Into my C-2200. My desire is to make sure I am able to get MQA quality streams since that is now available. The Node says it decodes MQA, and it has a built in DAC, but that seems easy for the small investment of the Node. I have a C-2700 on order that replaces the C-2200, and it has a well regarded DAC built in and upgradeable. But it doesn’t do MQA. I doesn’t seem correct that the Nodes DAC does, the Mc DAC does not. So does that mean that my stream gets dumbed down if I run it through the C-2700? That doesn’t seem correct. So what am I getting wrong? And btw, the node was really an attempt to get my system back up and going. I’ve been looking at other devices such as Auralic and Lumin.
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 01-25-2021, 03:52 PM

You could have the Bluesound Dac output to one of the analog inputs on the 2700. You would then get the MQA you desire.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:10 PM

That’s pretty much what I do now into the C-2200. So if I can stream the best quality file through an inexpensive streamer with an internal inexpensive DAC, why would I spend 6-8-10k or more for a streamer with expensive DACs. The quality of how that file is “reproduced”? Even more simple, the reason the same album sounds different with different TT or cartridge.
Main System MC-2102--C-2700--HiFi Rose 150B--MVP-901--Revox PR-99mkiii--Klipschorns- - Shunyata Denali 6000v2 --Sota Star Sapphire Turntable with vacuum—SME series iV.Vi—Sumiko Blackbird— WireWorld power and interconnect cables MC-205–MX-100
Old 01-25-2021, 05:40 PM

You make a good point. You will not get the same results playing a MQA file thru devices from different manufacturers. Just like your example with analog it depends on what you are willing to spend to improve MQA reproduction. I am sure you can find something you will like under the $140k if you go with WADEX.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCheek View Post
While I’m not new to digital streaming, a lot of things have changed since my Squeezebox days in 2007. While I enjoy vinyl and R2R recordings, the world is at your fingertips when streaming endless possibilities with a lot of streaming service options. I have had higher end DACs(MDA 1000), but as I venture back into streaming, I want to make sure my components are working together and I’d like to reduce the number of boxes in my system. Right now I am streaming both Qobuz and Tidal from a Bluesound node 2i Into my C-2200. My desire is to make sure I am able to get MQA quality streams since that is now available. The Node says it decodes MQA, and it has a built in DAC, but that seems easy for the small investment of the Node. I have a C-2700 on order that replaces the C-2200, and it has a well regarded DAC built in and upgradeable. But it doesn’t do MQA. I doesn’t seem correct that the Nodes DAC does, the Mc DAC does not. So does that mean that my stream gets dumbed down if I run it through the C-2700? That doesn’t seem correct. So what am I getting wrong? And btw, the node was really an attempt to get my system back up and going. I’ve been looking at other devices such as Auralic and Lumin.
I have not spent much time streaming but I have a Node for my second system. I think your excellent amps and speakers will leave you disappointed with the Node. You should probably invest a bit more here

Last edited by PeterMusic; 01-26-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I have a Node 2i but I've since switched to Qobuz because I thought it sounded better than Tidal.
If I'm not mistaken, even if you use the coax digital output (which sounds better than the optical), the Node 2i can still "unwrap" the file to either 96/24 or 88/24; what you miss out on is the software manipulation in the form of upsampling and filtering which is the second part of the MQA chain as I recall.
But you might be able to set up the dac in the 2700 to upsample and choose a filter that you like the sound of - not the MQA way but perhaps satisfying. Or you might just enjoy the 96/24 or 88/24 file decoded as is.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 01-26-2021, 07:49 AM

I appreciate the comments...very helpful. I think in the end, it’s not whether it’s MQA or not, it’s what’s sounds the best on the equipment you have. I believe that a much better streaming device, preferably one with a very good DAC, is the way to go. And then I can play with how that is connected to my C-2700, RCA, coax or digital. There are a couple threads on streamers that will help. I really like the look of the Lumin T2. Unfortunately, I don’t have a dealer close to me, so end up having to trust the reviews and advice of others.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:01 AM
Retired

Quote:
I believe that a much better streaming device, preferably one with a very good DAC, is the way to go. And then I can play with how that is connected to my C-2700, RCA, coax or digital.
Isn't the DA2 module in your new C2700 "a very good DAC"? Purchasing a streaming device with DAC built-in would be redundant.

I've whined at Charlie Randall that McIntosh should offer the DA2 in a dedicated streamer so one can upgrade to the DA3 (4, 5, 6, etc.) when it comes out. Would be an even better device if the streaming portion was also a 'plug-in' module like the DA2 so could be upgraded.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-26-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Isn't the DA2 module in your new C2700 "a very good DAC"? Purchasing a streaming device with DAC built-in would be redundant.

I've whined at Charlie Randall that McIntosh should offer the DA2 in a dedicated streamer so one can upgrade to the DA3 (4, 5, 6, etc.) when it comes out. Would be an even better device if the streaming portion was also a 'plug-in' module like the DA2 so could be upgraded.
That makes sense to me, but that’s assuming that any streaming device that converts MQA signals doesn’t get that signal “dumbed down” in the DA2. I love my C-2200 and only did the upgrade for the DAC, Phono and Headphone amp upgrades.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:58 AM
George

A note on streaming that I have learned over the last few years. The streamer in an audio chain maters... big time. It is very analogous to the analog system. The further up the chain the more important the device. I was formerly of the opinion that the thing that spits digital bits... which are then retimed (in the case of USB) and changed to analog in the DAC was not important. Wow, that is so not true. Now the most expensive component I own is my streamer (no DAC) and it was worth every penny of the $22K. So matching the quality of the streamer to your system is really important.

Anyway looking at your system I am guessing if you want to improve the sound you will want to be looking at upgrading your streamer when you can... then all the MQA stuff will go away. Personally I like Aurender... I have owned a number of streamers, including Auralic, and several Aurender.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 01-27-2021 at 02:06 AM.