AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-27-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb123 View Post
I wonder if Delta v2 would be worthy of consideration over Alpha v1. If the plan is to ultimately get to Alpha v2 or even Sigma v2, the Delta v2 is cut from the same cloth as those specifically in terms of the conductors.
This has come up to my mind too. My loss would be lower with an Alpha AES/EBU when going to a v2 I believe.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:12 PM

Well, it's been about 10 days or so that I have the Alpha AES/EBU inserted between my Bryston BDP-2 and BDA-3. There a lot to be loved about this cable here. I wasn't sure at first if it would pair well but I can say that now, yes it does, and I really like it. At first I felt the bass response to be too significant, kind of extra loudness. There is a lot of bottom end with this cable and I really like that. But I felt it was too much, until yesterday where I inserted a Kimber PK14 Ascent (rhodium) on my BDP-2 which replaced a Shunyata Venom V14. Now everything sounds really balanced. The PK14 provided some extra clarity that was needed in my system I believe.

The Alpha AES/EBU makes my system sounds BIG! Really. It even reminds me my McSetup I had 4 years ago. My last digital cable was a Kimber KS-2436 Ag USB. It sounded detailed with an excellent soundstage, but thin and light footed on the bass. The Alpha AES/EBU digs low, to the point where my speakers were begging for mercy. One of many nice attributes of this cable is how the music sounds real and believable. Another one, or two, veiled were lifted when inserting this cable. My system is less "noisy" now compared to my previous KS-2436 (still a 1600$ cable), which probably explains why I feel closer to the music. For a long time I haven't experienced the goosebumps moments when listening to music. I always felt that, altough my system was satisfying from a technical perspective, I was not really emotionnally moved when listening to music. This now has changed. There is a warmth now in the music compared to before with my previous cable. The Alpha AES/EBU is clearly more detailed and soundstage is expansive, but maybe not as much as the KS-2436 which was something really special.

My speakers (Totem Mani-2 Signature) are very picky about the upstream components and cables. With poor sources and cables, they can easily sound edgy which is quite annoying. For this reason, an all silver cable was probably not the best match. With the Alpha AES/EBU, the "edginess" is pratically gone. But after having inserted the PK14, no more edge. The refinement it brings over the Venom V14 is notable but in all fairness both cables are not in the same class. For the price paid with the Venom V14, it's a no brainer.

But after my inital disenchantement with the Alpha with the extra "loudness", I was looking for another cable that could be middle ground between the KS-2436 and the Alpha. I went quick and purchased a German made Inakustik Referenz Digital 2404 AES/EBU. Now I feel dumb a bit because after having inserted the PK14 on the BDP-2, it's no longer necessary it seems. I am really thrilled with the combo as it sounds so balanced. The cable is on its way so I will evaluate when it arrives. It may be better than the Alpha. In this case, I may be willing to sell both and go with either the Sigma AES/EBU or the newer Alpha v2 AES/EBU. Now that I know how the v1 sounds, it will be easier for me to have a basis for comparison. I just wonder how the v2 sounds differently from the v1. More clarity? Better soundstage? More bass? to say the v2 is better than v1 is one thing, but how better?

Anyway, I am quite happy with the Alpha v1 AES/EBU in my system as it stands now. It's meaty, organic, has some serious heft and sounds big. It really made my system better on all account, provided careful matching. I am not totally sure a complete Alpha loom would be advised in my system though. My speakers are darker sounding and my amplifier is on the warm/round type of sound. There might just be too much bottom end to my taste, and I want to stress about that, it's all about system matching and personal tastes in the end.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:42 AM

IMHO, V2 is more realness.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:28 AM

Hi All,

Just joined the forums, but initially looking for more on Shunyata lead me to this group. I recently added in the Venom NR 10 to my integrated and it was a surprisingly good experience. This has really made me consider a loom, as well. Right now would just be speaker cables but potentially new interconnects if I get a new streaming DAC this year. Anyway, I was very surprised about the improvement with the power cable considering I've heard advice like just using cheater plugs and avoiding ground loops as all I need.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd45123 View Post
Hi All,

Just joined the forums, but initially looking for more on Shunyata lead me to this group. I recently added in the Venom NR 10 to my integrated and it was a surprisingly good experience. This has really made me consider a loom, as well. Right now would just be speaker cables but potentially new interconnects if I get a new streaming DAC this year. Anyway, I was very surprised about the improvement with the power cable considering I've heard advice like just using cheater plugs and avoiding ground loops as all I need.
That's great - you've found the right place with lots of folks with excellent experience listening to a variety of cables. You can't go wrong with any of the Shunyata cables in my experience. I think you will notice a very positive change with any of them.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
IMHO, V2 is more realness.

+1
Old 01-01-2021, 07:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Hi All,

Welcome, cd!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:06 PM

Serge-

Great review on your AES. Of particular interest is its coming alive with a power cable change to you player.

I always viewed cabling as icing on the cake (at its best). It really appears to be more an adjustment and balance of main course spicing that challenges the "Full Loom" theory. Kinda' like a Brooks Brothers suit with a Jerry Garcia tie!

Ever onward to our pursuit of audio euphoria.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:17 PM

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
+1
Old 01-02-2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

Cables do make a fundamental difference.

The advice given to you as stated in your last sentence is IMHO bad advice.