AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 12-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Lots of great tips and advices, thanks to everyone. I believe the only way to know for sure to find out if I will like it is to at least start with the Alpha AES/EBU. From my own experience with 5 different cables (USB and AES/EBU) between the BDP-2 & the BDA-3, this is where I can get the best bang for the buck, if I can put it this way.

From the Audio Beat review of the Sigma :

Before I dove into a full-system installation, I decided to try the Sigma AES/EBU cable just to hear how it would stack up to my reference Anaconda cable, no slouch at taming ones and zeros. Fellow TAB writer Mark Blackmore happened to be in the neighborhood, so we put Rickie Lee Jones’s Pop Pop CD [Geffen GEFD-24426] in my PS Audio PerfectWave transport and played a few tracks before the Sigma’s installation. Then we returned to those tracks after the new cable was in place. Blackmore shook his head and said, "You can hear the difference in three bars." The difference was a smoother, less grainy presentation of the high frequencies, meatier, weightier bass, and a more layered soundstage. All in all, the sound was far less "digital." Not bad for one cable. As accomplished as the Shunyata Anaconda AES/EBU cable had been, the Sigma lapped it-- twice.

After Blackmore left, I continued to listen and noticed more depth and space in Blossom Dearie’s delightful Soubrette: Sings Broadway Hits [Verve MG VS-62133]. The Sigma AES/EBU delivered a far more relaxed, natural and realistic representation of instruments in the Russel Garcia Orchestra. I could hear the internal resonances within a bassoon as it accented a line, more bell tone from a trumpet. When I returned to the Anaconda, it was clear that it was not conveying as truthful a version of those sounds, which resulted in a presentation that was less present and convincing.

The Sigma AES/EBU is the first digital cable I’ve heard that significantly narrows the gap between analog and digital.

Knowing this is the Sigma, one can extrapolate to the Alpha as it is said to be 85% of the performance of the Sigma (that's for the USB though). I am not totally decided yet but I think I will buy the Alpha AES/EBU to see if I like it. If yes, then I will go full Alpha loom. Stay tuned..
Sounds like a good plan.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:05 PM

[emoji106]
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-08-2020, 01:29 PM

FYI, there is a Sigma AES/EBU for sale here from a great seller for an excellent price.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 12-09-2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
FYI, there is a Sigma AES/EBU for sale here from a great seller for an excellent price.
Saw them.. Was window shopping too. Very tempting but out of my price range for now, and the whole sigma loop would be even more costly.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Saw them.. Was window shopping too. Very tempting but out of my price range for now, and the whole sigma loop would be even more costly.
You can mix and match, FWIW.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:10 PM

Just purchased an Alpha AES/EBU 1.5M. Can’t wait to hook this up in my system.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:46 PM

[emoji106]
Old 12-12-2020, 04:28 PM

I would gradually buy a v2 alpha loom instead of picking up a complete v1 alpha loom on the used market. Start with primary Source and Preamp.

I also think that if you are picking up used v1 I would focus on getting the Sigma level. personal preference on that one.

The V2 is so different in a good way that once you 've heard it there is no going back.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
I would gradually buy a v2 alpha loom instead of picking up a complete v1 alpha loom on the used market. Start with primary Source and Preamp.

I also think that if you are picking up used v1 I would focus on getting the Sigma level. personal preference on that one.

The V2 is so different in a good way that once you 've heard it there is no going back.
Before commiting in purchasing an Alpha v1, I have considered this option. Since I don't know if I will like it or not and also based on cost alone, I prefered trying first the v1. Basically, if I like it enough I see this a as stepping stone toward the v2. You may read all the reviews you can find, but there is nothing else than try it in your system.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:29 PM

I wonder if Delta v2 would be worthy of consideration over Alpha v1. If the plan is to ultimately get to Alpha v2 or even Sigma v2, the Delta v2 is cut from the same cloth as those specifically in terms of the conductors.
Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri power cords, QSA Lanedri Revelation XLR interconnect, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256