AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-13-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
I was not at Robert's but have installed numerous XVX with and without Subsonics.

The bass driver combination in the XVX is well proven. It first appeared in the smaller ALEXX (+/- 3dB at 20Hz relative to 1kHz) and the WAMM (+/-0dB at 23 Hz relative to 1kHz). All are RAR and measured in the Wilson Music Room. Cabinet volume is different in all three. So is the construction/bracing on each, which is dictated by laser vibrometer analysis.

The ActiveXO Controller was set at 32Hz at 18dB/oct. The intent of the subs is to provide the sub bass cushion of air that adds dimension and body, particularly on live recordings, as well as linear extension down from 20HZ to 10Hz. It is not necessary to have Subsonics but what they add is quite compelling. I haven't had anyone suggest that Subsonics be removed once dialed in. I also have never had someone who did not purchase subs say he felt he was missing something.

The most recent pair I set up was in a room that is sort of two rooms. There's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway. The room has 10' ceilings in the listening area, slightly taller in the front. Speakers were positioned on the back of a 4" step from listening area to front of room. The owner is quite happy with the bass he is getting and he feels quite a demonstrable improvement from his previous ALEXX.. He has never suggested that he felt he wanted/needed Subsonics, though with the dimensionality and solidity of stage that he already has, I can only imagine what that next step would bring.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, yes it does.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Folks, I appreciate your comments greatly. However, 329,000 in absolute terms is not an expensive speaker. There are more than numerous loudspeakers over 300,000 dollars. Robert has been around the block. His gear and credentials are impeccable. He has been a proponent of Magico for years and I know for a fact he has always favored sealed bass. For him to state the bass of the XVX is the best he has heard is remarkable. I believe the XVX is now his reference speaker. I have avoided describing the sound of the XVX on AA because I don't know exactly what to say. I have been waiting on Robert's review. I totally agree with everything he has said. The XVX brings out the very best in your gear. Many speakers expose flaws. The XVX exposes the "good" in a system. That's the kind of loudspeaker I want to own. If you are really into high end audio, you should cut off your left arm (not your right if you are right handed) to own an XVX. It is that good.

Best Charles
You lost me there. I guess it’s not an expensive speaker.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:03 PM

metaphacts, what’s the company discount run at?
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 08-13-2020, 11:51 PM

The thing that drives me crazy is the trolls on the internet that laugh at speaker prices like this and say there is no way its worth it.

Well, perfection is never cheap, in any undertaking.

The trolls must think the speaker just gets tacked together and magically appears, but in fact there are countless hours of research and development behind these products, as well as many, many hours in the construction of each one. I've been to the Wilson factory and I've seen the effort, and that was years ago when their most ambitious product was the xlf. You can tell just by looking at the xvx that it's on a whole different level of craftsmanship.

While I can probably never afford it, I can take comfort in knowing that the advancements will trickle down to something I can afford. So I'll probably benefit, one way or another!
Old 08-14-2020, 12:30 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The thing that drives me crazy is the trolls on the internet that laugh at speaker prices like this and say there is no way its worth it.

The trolls must think the speaker just gets tacked together and magically appears, but in fact there are countless hours of research and development behind these products, as well as many, many hours in the construction of each one. I've been to the Wilson factory and I've seen the effort, and that was years ago when their most ambitious product was the xlf. You can tell just by looking at the xvx that it's on a whole different level of craftsmanship.

While I can probably never afford it, I can take comfort in knowing that the advancements will trickle down to something I can afford. So I'll probably benefit, one way or another!

Old 08-14-2020, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
I was not at Robert's but have installed numerous XVX with and without Subsonics.

The bass driver combination in the XVX is well proven. It first appeared in the smaller ALEXX (+/- 3dB at 20Hz relative to 1kHz) and the WAMM (+/-0dB at 23 Hz relative to 1kHz). All are RAR and measured in the Wilson Music Room. Cabinet volume is different in all three. So is the construction/bracing on each, which is dictated by laser vibrometer analysis.

The ActiveXO Controller was set at 32Hz at 18dB/oct. The intent of the subs is to provide the sub bass cushion of air that adds dimension and body, particularly on live recordings, as well as linear extension down from 20HZ to 10Hz. It is not necessary to have Subsonics but what they add is quite compelling. I haven't had anyone suggest that Subsonics be removed once dialed in. I also have never had someone who did not purchase subs say he felt he was missing something.

The most recent pair I set up was in a room that is sort of two rooms. There's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway. The room has 10' ceilings in the listening area, slightly taller in the front. Speakers were positioned on the back of a 4" step from listening area to front of room. The owner is quite happy with the bass he is getting and he feels quite a demonstrable improvement from his previous ALEXX.. He has never suggested that he felt he wanted/needed Subsonics, though with the dimensionality and solidity of stage that he already has, I can only imagine what that next step would bring.

Hope this helps.
Hi Bill,
I enjoyed very much reading your comments.
When I read RH's review, constantly I was wondering how much what he experienced with the XVX was not just the speakers alone, it was the magic of the combination XVX AND the Subsosonics.

I enjoy my XVX very very much in my music room for the last 6 months and my subwoofers are JL Audio F212V2 (x2) and CR-1. If I switch off the subwoofers, a lot of the "emotion of attending a live concert" magics are gone!

Personally, I feel that it is very important to invest the subwoofers to compliment your main full-range speakers.

(PS: Be warned, unless you are very patient and knowledgeable, it is best to leave the tasks to expert to fine tune the setup for you. With the wrong setting, subwoofers can bring more harm than good to your system!)

Best
Old 08-14-2020, 01:53 AM

I just finished reading the Harley article. I am seriously impressed with his writing skills!! To be able to gush this much hyperbole over so many pages and with so much text takes a tremendous amount of skill. It is quite amazing to me that not only has Mr. Harley managed to get this much adulation into his article, but that he can actually do this over and over with the various pieces of gear that he reviews, and make it seem like his latest writings are revelatory and independent.

What's even more impressive to me, is that in the near future, Mr.Harley will discover a new speaker or a new amp or a new ?? that will allow him to start anew with a future article stating how this particular piece is allowing him to have an epiphany..truly an impressive writing talent-- and I am NOT kidding!!

Last edited by daveyf; 08-14-2020 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post

I hope that wasnt directed at me.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:31 AM

Joey, I don't think it was. I have never thought of you as such. I think your opinions to the point and worthwhile. Other folks for some reason like to rain on a person's parade. I don't know why. I try my best to avoid negative comments about folk's gear. But saying you don't understand is not a negative but honest comment.

In my neck of the woods it's the middle of the night. The rest of the family is asleep. Years of being up all night in the ER has caused me to sleep solidly about 4-5 hours. Then I'm up, wide awake. I can lay there for 2-3 hours. I refuse to take sleeping meds or I can go up to my mancave and listen to wonderful music for those 2-3 hours. Then go back to bed about 5:30-6 when the suns coming up and sleep to 9.

When I wake up I'm refreshed and ready to go for the day. I can't put a price tag on that.

Other than the great synergy with Wilsons, my Macs allow me to monitor my watts. Right now I'm listening to Chet Baker Legendary Recordings at between .12-1.2 watts peak hold. It sounds plenty loud. Yet in the day I need 1.2-12 watts for the same effect. I have found my hearing to be variable but the meters don't lie.

My XVX is the only speaker I have ever owned where the bass is as natural at .12 watts as 12 watts. Loudness control is not needed with an XVX. You have to hear it on a regular basis to believe it. I can't put a price tag on this. The XVX has other amazing properties I can't mention. You have to live with it for an extended period and it's difficult to explain.

With an XVX it sounds like live music. Changing the volume doesn't alter the sound at all. It's really difficult to explain this and I am sure I am not doing a good job.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 08-14-2020 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:08 AM

I was Chief of a large ER for 22 years. I say Chief because I wrote all the checks. Much of the time someone else held that title. Why? because being "Chief" meant little to me. I wanted things to run correctly. It was my management style.

I think humility the most important human trait. When you think about Bill or Daryl or the other folks at Wilson, they are not elitist. There is not a trace of elitism at Wilson. Yet they make some of the best speakers in the world. This property is somehow carried into their speakers.

Best

Charles