AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 08-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Yes it is. Out of every model consumer loudspeaker available, it is most likely in the top 1 to 2 percent of models available for purchase.

- Buck
Buck I can certainly understand Charles' viewpoint.

However, $329,000 is indeed expensive. Hence the reason to leave no stone unturned in XVX's design and construction. You are correct when you said above "It had better be that good.." Robert seems to think it is. Just one of the wealth of quotables from the review "The XVX isn't just a milestone for Wilson Audio; I believe it is a landmark achievement in loudspeaker design."

Certainly the buyers' acceptance of the XVX points to the belief that it is special. By Labor Day, there will be 12 brick and mortar dealers in North America who have purchased and are displaying XVX demos. Further, the sell through has outstripped all of our most generous expectations.

ymmv
Old 08-12-2020, 03:29 PM

https://www.wilsonaudio.com/media/91..._5puCCGXKGcYdk
Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Buck I can certainly understand Charles' viewpoint.

However, $329,000 is indeed expensive. Hence the reason to leave no stone unturned in XVX's design and construction. You are correct when you said above "It had better be that good.." Robert seems to think it is. Just one of the wealth of quotables from the review "The XVX isn't just a milestone for Wilson Audio; I believe it is a landmark achievement in loudspeaker design."

Certainly the buyers' acceptance of the XVX points to the belief that it is special. By Labor Day, there will be 12 brick and mortar dealers in North America who have purchased and are displaying XVX demos. Further, the sell through has outstripped all of our most generous expectations.

ymmv
Hi Bill.......look forward to hearing a pair someday! Tell Alan and David to get off the checkbook and order a pair for Hifi Buys!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Hi Bill.......look forward to hearing a pair someday! Tell Alan and David to get off the checkbook and order a pair for Hifi Buys!

- Buck
I'd have to make the trip down to Atlanta if they do. I'd love to give a pair of XVX a listen. Plus, it's been a while since I visited them.

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4Bł, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
I'd have to make the trip down to Atlanta if they do. I'd love to give a pair of XVX a listen. Plus, it's been a while since I visited them.
They just keep taking my money.......but I’m so done after the Brinkmann/Lyra analog front end. Done I say! They have the Alexia 2s, the Sasha DAWs and a pair of Yvettes on display. I really like the Yvettes for the size and price.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-12-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:

- Buck
If you come to Seattle, we'll go to Definitive. One more reason to visit when we can travel more freely.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:50 AM

With respect I will agree with Buck and others and say that yes, $329K is very high price for any speaker, or anything for that matter as it IS alot of money, absolutely, not relatively.

If anyone doesn't think so, then please feel free to get a certified check for that "negligible sum" and send it my way, I'll appreciate it as will others, I am sure, for what it is, a lot of money [emoji2]

For the record, I also think 80K and 100K is alot of money. It IS...ever not have it? You'll see what I mean. Note I don't say "for a speaker", even though it does happen to apply to my system and others..it's a lot of money, period. I tend to think that anyone who would debate that statement is simply trying to brag or show off with a wallet, not address the point itself.

Price is not value and is built up including dealer and distributor margin, some of whom deliver less value than others in the audio chain in some cases, so we should not use price to infer quality or value for the money, it's simply that, price.

The review of the XVX was exemplary and nothing short of glowing. We did however stand zero chance IMHO of seeing anything even slightly less than that level of praise. It simply does not seem to happen in this industry in certain situations. The only point I would call out as questionable after reading it top to bottom is they talked in great detail about how the bass response essentially plumbs the depth of hell and back, yet didnt they run it with subs and crossover at all times that essentially extend to 10Hz plus or minus? The XVX spec and performance are reported to be very impressive so not disrespecting the speaker or manufacturer. ,

This writing style on that last point just struck me as reviewer slight of hand to further achieve their end result if you will.

On the last point I will read again to ensure I read the material correctly.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 08-13-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
With respect I will agree with Buck and others and say that yes, $329K is very high price for any speaker, or anything for that matter as it IS alot of money, absolutely, not relatively.

If anyone doesn't think so, then please feel free to get a certified check for that "negligible sum" and send it my way, I'll appreciate it as will others, I am sure, for what it is, a lot of money [emoji2]

For the record, I also think 80K and 100K is alot of money. It IS...ever not have it? You'll see what I mean. Note I don't say "for a speaker", even though it does happen to apply to my system and others..it's a lot of money, period. I tend to think that anyone who would debate that statement is simply trying to brag or show off with a wallet, not address the point itself.

Price is not value and is built up including dealer and distributor margin, some of whom deliver less value than others in the audio chain in some cases, so we should not use price to infer quality or value for the money, it's simply that, price.

The review of the XVX was exemplary and nothing short of glowing. We did however stand zero chance IMHO of seeing anything even slightly less than that level of praise. It simply does not seem to happen in this industry in certain situations. The only point I would call out as questionable after reading it top to bottom is they talked in great detail about how the bass response essentially plumbs the depth of hell and back, yet didnt they run it with subs and crossover at all times that essentially extend to 10Hz plus or minus? The XVX spec and performance are reported to be very impressive so not disrespecting the speaker or manufacturer. ,

This writing style on that last point just struck me as reviewer slight of hand to further achieve their end result if you will.

On the last point I will read again to ensure I read the material correctly.
I was not at Robert's but have installed numerous XVX with and without Subsonics.

The bass driver combination in the XVX is well proven. It first appeared in the smaller ALEXX (+/- 3dB at 20Hz relative to 1kHz) and the WAMM (+/-0dB at 23 Hz relative to 1kHz). All are RAR and measured in the Wilson Music Room. Cabinet volume is different in all three. So is the construction/bracing on each, which is dictated by laser vibrometer analysis.

The ActiveXO Controller was set at 32Hz at 18dB/oct. The intent of the subs is to provide the sub bass cushion of air that adds dimension and body, particularly on live recordings, as well as linear extension down from 20HZ to 10Hz. It is not necessary to have Subsonics but what they add is quite compelling. I haven't had anyone suggest that Subsonics be removed once dialed in. I also have never had someone who did not purchase subs say he felt he was missing something.

The most recent pair I set up was in a room that is sort of two rooms. There's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway. The room has 10' ceilings in the listening area, slightly taller in the front. Speakers were positioned on the back of a 4" step from listening area to front of room. The owner is quite happy with the bass he is getting and he feels quite a demonstrable improvement from his previous ALEXX.. He has never suggested that he felt he wanted/needed Subsonics, though with the dimensionality and solidity of stage that he already has, I can only imagine what that next step would bring.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
I was not at Robert's but have installed numerous XVX with and without Subsonics.

The bass driver combination in the XVX is well proven. It first appeared in the smaller ALEXX (+/- 3dB at 20Hz relative to 1kHz) and the WAMM (+/-0dB at 23 Hz relative to 1kHz). All are RAR and measured in the Wilson Music Room. Cabinet volume is different in all three. So is the construction/bracing on each, which is dictated by laser vibrometer analysis.

The ActiveXO Controller was set at 32Hz at 18dB/oct. The intent of the subs is to provide the sub bass cushion of air that adds dimension and body, particularly on live recordings, as well as linear extension down from 20HZ to 10Hz. It is not necessary to have Subsonics but what they add is quite compelling. I haven't had anyone suggest that Subsonics be removed once dialed in. I also have never had someone who did not purchase subs say he felt he was missing something.

The most recent pair I set up was in a room that is sort of two rooms. There's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway. The room has 10' ceilings in the listening area, slightly taller in the front. Speakers were positioned on the back of a 4" step from listening area to front of room. The owner is quite happy with the bass he is getting and he feels quite a demonstrable improvement from his previous ALEXX.. He has never suggested that he felt he wanted/needed Subsonics, though with the dimensionality and solidity of stage that he already has, I can only imagine what that next step would bring.

Hope this helps.
The price someone is willing to pay for the illusion of a recreated musical moment in their listening room is obviously highly personal and unquantifiable but like every other hobby out there, if it tugs hard, the wallet will open.

I have no doubt the XVX is more than capable of recreating every last ounce of dynamic contrast, the visceral impact and to solidify and anchor images that would be fully fleshed out and grounded properly within the boundaries of the listening space, exhibiting proper separation, width, depth and ambiance that was captured in by the recording.

Obviously the listening space has to allow speakers of this caliber to breathe... They are akin to a Formula 1 car and you don't want to drive a car like that on unpaved roads to your mountain cabin.

If all the stars are in alignment and speakers of this calibers are given a chance to strut their stuff, well, moments like that are unforgettable. Not that I would personally ever spend that kind of coin on a pair of speakers but I completely understand the desire to do so, even if 99.9999% of the population would never get it. It's good to be KING.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The price someone is willing to pay for the illusion of a recreated musical moment in their listening room is obviously highly personal and unquantifiable but like every other hobby out there, if it tugs hard, the wallet will open.

I have no doubt the XVX is more than capable of recreating every last ounce of dynamic contrast, the visceral impact and to solidify and anchor images that would be fully fleshed out and grounded properly within the boundaries of the listening space, exhibiting proper separation, width, depth and ambiance that was captured in by the recording.

Obviously the listening space has to allow speakers of this caliber to breathe... They are akin to a Formula 1 car and you don't want to drive a car like that on unpaved roads to your mountain cabin.

If all the stars are in alignment and speakers of this calibers are given a chance to strut their stuff, well, moments like that are unforgettable. [emoji106] Not that I would personally ever spend that kind of coin on a pair of speakers but I completely understand the desire to do so, even if 99.9999% of the population would never get it. It's good to be KING.
Great post....