AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Burmester Audio

Burmester Audio Art for the Ear

Old 03-29-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
I had a Porsche 911 Turbo with the Burmester Audio option in it and it sounded amazing. Much better than any other stock audio system I've heard. Right now I have a Mercedes C43 AMG with the Burmester option and in this car the Burmester system just isn't all that good. So it seems to vary by car or brand. I've never seen a Cayenne with the Burmester so I can't say if it sounds great or not. Good luck.
Thanks very much. It hadn’t occured to me that the Burmester package would vary that much by marque. All the more reason to try to find a few to listen to.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
There is a sanctioning body for racing SUV's? Can envision lots of upside-down vehicles from amateur drivers.

Another 'nuc'. I went thru Bainbridge and prototype at Combustion Engr'g in Windsor Locks, CT. Had a '65 356SC sunroof (quite rare) followed by a '73 911E. Wonderful cars for a young sailor.

With the sport exhaust on my BMW am afraid an upgraded sound system would be a waste of time. Would have to turn it up so much that it would be loud enough to drive me out of the car.
I had wanted to go through the east coast nuke pipeline but didn’t have that choice — all of my A school classmates and I went to Vallejo and then to Idaho. We were the last class through Mare Island and then they shut it down.

A 356SC with sunroof! I’m envious. My ‘70 had the self-leveling hydro-pneumatic suspension, A/C and the gasoline-fired auxilary heater, which was pretty scary to light off but essential in the Idaho winters. 5-speed with the “Nurburgring” tranny. 1st gear was down and to the left, the H pattern was 2-3-4-5. I guess on the ‘Ring you never touched 1st again once you got off the starting grid.

Those were the days.

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!
Old 03-29-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
One would be surprised just how capable the Cayenne and X5 are on the track with a skilled driver. When I owned the X5-M, I was blown away just how good an SUV can be given all that weight when properly designed and tuned for handling prowess. It is definitely way more capable than the skill level of the 98% of the owners of such vehicles.
The active suspension and rear-steering options let the Cayenne corner like it’s on rails. Heavy, yes but not heavy feeling.

Steve Z

Old 03-29-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetspirit View Post
I agree here too. I have a Cayenne Turbo with the Burmester and thicker glass option. Sounds pretty good to me especially compared to my old Audi A6 Bose...! No a shocker there but I think the Burmester system is worth getting.

Mitch
Thanks, Mitch. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Steve Z

Old 03-29-2019, 07:36 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettelsm View Post
I had wanted to go through the east coast nuke pipeline but didn’t have that choice — all of my A school classmates and I went to Vallejo and then to Idaho. We were the last class through Mare Island and then they shut it down.

A 356SC with sunroof! I’m envious. My ‘70 had the self-leveling hydro-pneumatic suspension, A/C and the gasoline-fired auxilary heater, which was pretty scary to light off but essential in the Idaho winters. 5-speed with the “Nurburgring” tranny. 1st gear was down and to the left, the H pattern was 2-3-4-5. I guess on the ‘Ring you never touched 1st again once you got off the starting grid.

Those were the days.

Steve Z
Indeed they were. IIRC, today, the only Nuc-school is in FL and only prototype is in ID. We used to put in an order at the Poquonock Giant Grinder Shop when on day- or swing-shift. For every 10 you got a free one. Always got the lobster grinder. The CE plant we certified on was much different compared to the GE & Westinghouse plants in NY & ID. Did spend 10wk at KAPL a few years later as part of the design crew for a new class of ships.

Kept the 356 until it dissolved (rust) while back in school. Not only was mine a sunroof, it was an electric sunroof, which was uber-rare. Got a good price due to the roof and other components. Shop that bought it moved the roof and chassis tags to a good body and I bought the '73 911 in Santa Monica. Clean, rust-free Targa with 21K on it. They were great cars. Put over 100K on each of them. As mentioned in another thread, don't we wish we had the foresight to have kept them? Did try out a 912 with the out-of-H 1st and that was the primary reason I did not purchase. Some folks complain about the next iteration 815 5-spd, but I only changed the syncro's in it once in 120Kmi and were fine when I sold.

Good luck finding your Cayenne. My friend traded in her 11yr-old Cayenne S (100K mi) on her new one and tells me she loves it even more than her old one, which was her "baby".
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM

I have a 911 Carrera S with the Burmester and my wife has a Boxster with the Bose both cars are 2018’s
The Burmester sounds far better then the Bose and actually has some imaging! Capable of playing DVD audio discs as well as high res through USB. Worth the extra cost.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:43 AM

I saw that Porsche vehicles now come with the ability to play SD cards. That’s good since most folks don’t want to carry a boatload of CDs (I personally haven’t played a CD in a car in years).

In my experience, Porsche has always been a laggard when it comes to audio technology in their cars. So I wonder if one can now play high resolution files stored in the card.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettelsm View Post
The active suspension and rear-steering options let the Cayenne corner like it’s on rails. Heavy, yes but not heavy feeling.

Steve Z
Not at all. I had the pleasure of owning an '08 Cayenne GTS. It felt very nimble and the bark of the exhaust was unreal for a street/stock vehicle. Sadly they just don't sound that way anymore.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Porsche Cayenne Burmester system

Have you been to subaru yet?? its still under warrenty?

Tomorrow im getting x2 new sensors as well as new amp installed back in mine, under warrenty
Old 04-14-2019, 02:50 PM

I ordered my 2017 Macan S with the noise reduction glass, and omitted the sunroof specifically to improve sound in the cabin. I listen to books on iPod constantly when driving. Or Sirius when the wife is with me. I went with the bose system as it was good enough for my needs.

My car does have 2 slots for SD cards, and a usb slot for the iPod. As I don't travel a lot in this car, I don't pay for the sim card and extended Porsche web services. The system does not see DSD files, but will play hires to 24/96 if not more. I have not been on the Macan site for a bit. I have redbook mainly on my 2 cards, to fit more music in.