AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
afridi's Avatar
afridi afridi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 31
Default

powering my 1028s with a Crown XLS802 fed by a Cary SLP05
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is offline
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 74,340
Default

afridi... Welcome!
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G1 RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TARGET RACK, WW SILVER CABLES
Vintage System
: LUXMAN CL-38u SE PRE-AMP, JBL L300 SPEAKERS, BRYSTON BDA-3 DAC, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15, 3B3 CUBED AMP, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, WW SILVER CABLES

Shunyata Power/Digital cables, HRS Damping Plates, Stillpoints throughout all systems
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 AM
nguyendot nguyendot is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Default

I'm powering my 716's with my Pioneer Elite SC-35. Not super high end but for HT usage it sounds great.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Msegal Msegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afridi View Post
powering my 1028s with a Crown XLS802 fed by a Cary SLP05
Welcome Afridi.
There are really good people here!

Mike.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Msegal Msegal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 457
Default

I am using MC275's monos to drive Utopia III Stelas. Not the best for the bass but great musicality. I am using a pair of REL G1's to fill in the bass. The best of tubes and solid state!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM
phunge phunge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 283
Default

4 Alto utopias & center driven by boulder 850 monoblocks. Amazing combo!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-10-2013, 11:55 AM
C2300MC275's Avatar
C2300MC275 C2300MC275 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
Thanks for your input. Was there any particular reason motivating your upgrade to the bigger speakers, i.e shortcomings of the Scala?

Having both in your system for some time. Was there any particulars strengths of the Scala over it's bigger brother as i they are not similar sounding at all.

"Maestro offers much bigger scale image, bass depth, and slightly more balanced overall" --- Does this apply to all recordings or more so on very good recordings as poorer recording may not show these strengths?

Don't get me wrong the pair share certain sonic traits, which are:

Fast and punchy bass
Ultra resolution
Precision imaging

The maestro delivers an overall darker presentation with bigger sound field and slightly more relaxed across the bandwidth. The bass is much deeper and potent. The advantage of the Scala IMO is only if you can't accommodate the Maestro. The maestro does everything the Scala can but with the ability to provide all recordings on a grander scale, more natural timbre and increased resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Rod#S Rod#S is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msegal View Post
I am using MC275's monos to drive Utopia III Stelas. Not the best for the bass but great musicality. I am using a pair of REL G1's to fill in the bass. The best of tubes and solid state!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunge View Post
4 Alto utopias & center driven by boulder 850 monoblocks. Amazing combo!
Very nice, have either of you posted pictures here on the site anywhere? I have heard a pair of Alto's and really liked them, silky smooth mid range and very good bass response. phunge, with the Alto's being a fairly big speaker, you must have a fairly large room to accommodate 4 of them.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM
justubes justubes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2300MC275 View Post
Don't get me wrong the pair share certain sonic traits, which are:

Fast and punchy bass
Ultra resolution
Precision imaging

The maestro delivers an overall darker presentation with bigger sound field and slightly more relaxed across the bandwidth. The bass is much deeper and potent. The advantage of the Scala IMO is only if you can't accommodate the Maestro. The maestro does everything the Scala can but with the ability to provide all recordings on a grander scale, more natural timbre and increased resolution.
It sounds overall you are happy with improvements in all areas from the maestro over the scala.

I have read in detail on your discussions on another forum.

Its seems at first this member found the maestro draker as well and not drawing any attention in any areas. I.e. more natural which i also find from the demo of the maestro.

However, from your now long ownership of the maestro, do you in anyway find less brilliance in the sound on maybe lesser or duller sounding material which is not audiophile quality recordings which allow the more tilted scala to excel in its own, in otherwords, maestro giving a less hyped but at the same time doesnt catch ones attention as much in say shorter listening sessions.

The scala can sound wonderful on better recordings but less grand and showing some etchiness and overemphasised highs on recordings which have been titled up by the sound engineer.

After months of ownership, are you totally knock by the improvement by the bigger speaker? Bass wise way punchier and deeper than the scale everytime. Worrying that a room not large enough will be overloaded with bass.

Thanks in miles for your opinion and view.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:34 PM
C2300MC275's Avatar
C2300MC275 C2300MC275 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 219
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
It sounds overall you are happy with improvements in all areas from the maestro over the scala.

I have read in detail on your discussions on another forum.

Its seems at first this member found the maestro draker as well and not drawing any attention in any areas. I.e. more natural which i also find from the demo of the maestro.

However, from your now long ownership of the maestro, do you in anyway find less brilliance in the sound on maybe lesser or duller sounding material which is not audiophile quality recordings which allow the more tilted scala to excel in its own, in otherwords, maestro giving a less hyped but at the same time doesnt catch ones attention as much in say shorter listening sessions.

The scala can sound wonderful on better recordings but less grand and showing some etchiness and overemphasised highs on recordings which have been titled up by the sound engineer.

After months of ownership, are you totally knock by the improvement by the bigger speaker? Bass wise way punchier and deeper than the scale everytime. Worrying that a room not large enough will be overloaded with bass.

Thanks in miles for your opinion and view.
I have not specifically ever felt that either speaker did not catch my attention. They always manage to catch my attention due to the fantastic resolution even on short listening sessions. I think the differences between them would definitely manifest more obviously pending on your preferred genre - if you like orchestral music and you have a decent room, then maestro is a must IMO. The Scala does have a beautiful balance overall and I would happily own either as long as I had a sub for the Scala.

When listening to music, there are certain aspects that I find important to knock me out / really excite me to keep listening. One of these is scale - there is nothing quite like having your room awash with sound in an enormous 3d field. The maestro just delivers this in spades and if it is important to you then the Scala will not suffice. I like impactful, fast, clean, deep bass - the Maestro has never boomed in my rooms. I have had them in 2 rooms. Tbh, one of the outstanding traits of focal IMO, is the ability to deliver clean, fast, punchy bass without timing errors. If you have a carpeted room, you must get the Stillpoints ultras instead of spikes - they are startling.

At the end of the day, in your position, I would go for the Maestro and be dine with it. Otherwise, you will lust after that scale and bass. Oddly, I don't lust for Stellas. I would love some but ultimately my room would not take them - they would over drive the room I reckon. Anyway - maybe go listen again if you can. Take lots of your material and take your time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2021 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase