AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-12-2021, 03:13 PM

Arrow Downsizing .... good bye home theater

Retirement and grand children - Looks like it's time to down size the house so good bye home theater room... on the bright side hello tee ball

With Covid in Florida getting to audition speakers is still a challenge so I am hoping I can get some of the usual excellent forum perspective

Looks like the new house will have an open floor plan 23 wide x 26 deep including kitchen - 9 foot ceilings - For an amp I'd use my Mc205 - The speakers would have to be placed close to a rear wall .... plenty of space to side walls - Any thoughts?

Last edited by Masterlu; 04-18-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Mentioning of any gear to be listed, or available for sale is not permitted on the open Forum. This is allowed Only in our Marketplace.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:54 PM
Listener in Training

We recently moved to Florida, downsizing, and have an open floor plan that opens into the kitchen and dining area. If you're building on a slab and haven't poured the slab yet, you could do as I did and put a conduit under the floor to accommodate rear speakers should you want the option. Why not keep the Revel's and the MC452 for stereo listening of music and your movie viewing?
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-18-2021, 03:49 PM

What is your current setup?

Headphone rig: Gustard X16, Topping A90, Hifiman HE6se, Audeze LCD2
2-Channel setup: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo, Bryston 4B³, Philharmonic Audio BMR Towers, Dual PSA S152 subs
Old 04-18-2021, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the replies - Currently I have a dedicated theater room but we are reducing the house size by 1,000 sq ft so in the "Retirement Home" the kitchen, dining room and "gathering room" are all open to each other so the actual distance from the TV wall to the back of the sofa is 12 1/2 feet - Behind that is a 2 1/2 feet walk way and then the kitchen island ... Surround speakers will have to be in the ceiling

Mu current set up is in a dedicated room - Upfront are Revel Ultima 2 Towers powered by an MC452, Revel Voice 2 Center powered by an MC301 and surrounds and zone 2 powered by an MC205 - For source components I have an MT10 Turntable, D150 DAC, Auralic Aries, Oppo Blu Ray etc etc.... all stacked up they come to 40" high which works in my current theater but I'll be sitting to close to use that setup in the retirement home

I plan to replace the three Revel Speakers, the MC452 and the MC301 and get three front speakers that can be powered by the MC205 - That reduces the stacked equipment height to 27" so I can put an 80" Television on the wall - That should be ok when the grand kids are over sitting on the floor and casting Minecraft from their iPads ..... priorities - LOL

The challenge is finding speakers that work with the MC205- Another few weeks covid restrictions will loosen so I can start auditioning candidates ... curious what other members might pair with that amp
Old 04-23-2021, 11:17 AM

80" TV? That'll surely dominate your wall. Why not an MC303 or MC255? Or, if you want to save even more space and don't mind class D amps, an MI254 might be your best bet. The new MX100 a/v processor would pair nicely with the MI254 because they both have the same compact dimensions. The only problem is you'd give up your turntable.

Last edited by jayvis1; 04-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:29 AM

I think you’ll like having a great system in the common area of your home. I went from separate HT and 2 channel systems to a combined system in an open area of our house. We use it a lot more than we did the dedicated rooms.

Your current speakers at 14” wide and 20” deep are not huge by any means. Maybe you could go to a stand mount setup, but anything really worthwhile will be about the same footprint anyway, so why not keep them? I sit 12’ away from my Amati Futuras and have no issues with being too close.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 04-23-2021, 11:45 AM
George

Great article in The Absolute Sound over last two issues about down sizing high end audio. Only great speakers they found made to be against the wall were ones from the Wilson family.

Also open plan can make for good acoustics... I guess provided your spouse leaves the house a lot.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:24 PM

AGH !!!! The turntable stays ... a man has his limits

I attached a photo of my existing theater room (the MC601 is gone and the Fosgate preamp is now an MP100 but you get the idea) - The empty space in the middle is where the Revel Voice 2 center goes .... I have it sitting on top of a 24" rack

What I need is a speaker that matches an MC205 amp .... I can get the speakers 8" to 10" apart and 2 1/2' off the back wall ..... anyway I'll start auditions week after next

PS --- I have no worries about the 85" monitor size (other than I will miss my 105" screen)- Here's the TV size vs seating chart in case anyone is interested

TV Size Seating Distance
65" ----- 8.19 to 9.11
70" ----- 8.82 to 9.82
75" ----- 9.45 to 10.5
80" ----- 10.08 to 11.2
85" ----- 10.71 to 11.9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home Theater 2019.jpg (69.3 KB, 57 views)