AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 05-28-2021, 02:52 PM

The Senn HD560S cans are not an open back. The mesh design of the back may be deceiving you. The ear cups are large, to insure that the entire ear is enclosed within them, but the cups are closed.

This is a good design under $200.

I have a pair of wired Momentum cans and i really enjoy them, especially on the go paired with my Astell & Kern hi-res portable player.

Last edited by Yamaki; 05-28-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:08 PM

Smile Sennheiser Momentum Series Cans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
The Senn HD560S cans are not an open back. The mesh design of the back may be deceiving you. The ear cups are large, to insure that the entire ear is enclosed within them, but the cups are closed.

This is a good design under $200.

I have a pair of wired Momentum cans and i really enjoy them, especially on the go paired with my Astell & Kern hi-res portable player.
Yessir, your words about "Momentum" cans is what lead me to concentrate on them in the first place.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 05-28-2021, 05:13 PM

Talking Thanks for hanging in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
You can check the reviews but at this point I just wouldn't get wireless, wired is still much better. Others may chip in but I don't know any closed backs at your price range that can match the sadly a bit open 560s. It's the Modi and Magni Schiit combo of dac/amp I was referring to, small boxes that stack. The Sony XM4 is a good pair but it's well north of your budget. There might be a good pair of closed backs under $200, it's worth researching. Hi Fi man I think do a pair but I'm not sure of their build quality, and they may be open. Also 'phones need burn in, at least 20- 40 hours so don't judge on initial listen. I own a pair of Sony closed backs and they are creamed by the 560s at around the same price, but it may be possible.
That you for sticking with me, Radio Times. I'm finding the reviews to be a bit confusing -- especially the technical bits. Coming from an engineering background, a reviewer referring to input Z as "im-puh-dense" leaves me a bit dubious. This is why I greatly prefer hearing/reading from folks who appreciate the finer things in audio.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 05-28-2021, 05:33 PM

Default Nice Cans?

If you would opt for a wireless option…make sure your source and headphone support the same codec. For instance I cannot use my Sony wireless IEMs with my Sony TV as they do not support the same codec.

BTW…I don’t think your Oppo has Bluetooth at all, neither does the McIntosh. Cheap Bluetooth bridges do exist but will add to your budget.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:42 PM

Arrow Great Catch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
If you would opt for a wireless option…make sure your source and headphone support the same codec. For instance I cannot use my Sony wireless IEMs with my Sony TV as they do not support the same codec.

BTW…I don’t think your Oppo has Bluetooth at all, neither does the McIntosh. Cheap Bluetooth bridges do exist but will add to your budget.
Wow, I'm also getting old! You're right, I didn't even think about that. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we're very old school stereo listeners who've been trying -- for a couple of years now -- to break into the modern A/V/D world. We still love our MX130/MX300 combination, for example. so there you go.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:46 PM

Like me the chaps here all go from personal experience, which tends to cover the extreme hi end of hi fi. I've only recently escaped mid fi, of which I was the unchallenged king, and not before time. Don't go too much on 'open backed' I can't really hear the 560s when I take them off, what I can do is watch 'tube vids while listening, or if I prefer put the subtitles on, so it's not like their sounding like an orchestra while your better half is sleeping. Some do make a noise, like the upper end Audeze phones for instance, but the only outside issue with the 560s is they let sound in, rather than out. I haven't heard the Momentum Senn's but I am really digging the 560s in a very real and meaningful way and I feel you would too. $2-300 for phones and dac; you already have the amp, and you'll be smiling. you don't need to over think it, and you'll get a much much better SQ than just plugging the phones in to your hi fi system.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
Like me the chaps here all go from personal experience, which tends to cover the extreme hi end of hi fi. I've only recently escaped mid fi, of which I was the unchallenged king, and not before time. Don't go too much on 'open backed' I can't really hear the 560s when I take them off, what I can do is watch 'tube vids while listening, or if I prefer put the subtitles on, so it's not like their sounding like an orchestra while your better half is sleeping. Some do make a noise, like the upper end Audeze phones for instance, but the only outside issue with the 560s is they let sound in, rather than out. I haven't heard the Momentum Senn's but I am really digging the 560s in a very real and meaningful way and I feel you would too. $2-300 for phones and dac; you already have the amp, and you'll be smiling. you don't need to over think it, and you'll get a much much better SQ than just plugging the phones in to your hi fi system.
Reads like some sound advice, mate.

Just out of curiosity...have you compared the Senn 560S model to the much-lauded Senn 6XX cans that I keep hearing about in the video reviews? They also seem to be in our present price range; hence, the question.

Cheers!

P.S. - Do you follow the EPL?

Old 05-28-2021, 06:08 PM

Default Nice Cans?

Don’t over think it indeed. As this is all new to you…whatever you choose…it will establish a personal baseline…you will learn what you like…and what you do not like…you can build and develop from there…but you will have first hand experience…and that beats any recommendation.

Last edited by JemHadar; 05-28-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:03 PM

No. The 560s give a reference of sort sound with large soundstage for the price. Try either really. You won't be crying in to your pillow with a tinny sounding pair of either cans. The 560s will be easier to drive but that's not really important with the recommended Dac/Amp combo.
Old 05-29-2021, 02:26 PM

Talking Need the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
....or their Drop iterations come to mind.
Jem666..... Once again, we're old mountain folk, so please explain what a Drop iteration is. I understand what the word "iteration" means, but the "Drop" part? Not so much.