AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 01-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Default No love for the B&W DB1?

Are there no DB1 users on here? JL and rel seem popular, but I'm surprised I can't find anyone using a DB1 or a Velodyne?

In reading reviews I can find on F113 and F212 the DD-18, G1, and DB1 are all compared. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 AM

Hi redm - I use a DB1 with my 802D2's and have thoroughly enjoyed its synergy with my speakers for the past few years until a few weeks ago when it suddenly stopped working, I am waiting to hear from the dealer as to what the issue is but apart from this one issue, it has been excellent and easy to configure with the user-interface option.

Regards,
Jamie
Old 01-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Greetings from NC

I have a Rosenut DB1 that I really enjoyed but I decided in early 2016 to add two JL Audio F113v2s (thanks Ivan). I liked the look and sound of the DB1 in how it complimented and integrated with my speakers. There are software settings specifically for the B&W speaker line and the software also has the ability to tailor to any other speaker. The DB1 allows for a really good foundation, the software is easy to use, and you can take a microphone reading of the room for the peak correction (similar to other sub manufacturers). The reason I changed to a pair of the Fathoms? The do make for an "oh wow" moment

I have the DB1 in a guest bedroom and plan on using it if I decide to add an integrated amp, speakers and streamer to our bedroom.

I can always pick up another sub and this one will be a bit more than needed in a bedroom so if anyone is interested in my DB1 please PM me. I have the original boxes and all that came with the sub.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitator View Post
Hi redm - I use a DB1 with my 802D2's and have thoroughly enjoyed its synergy with my speakers for the past few years until a few weeks ago when it suddenly stopped working, I am waiting to hear from the dealer as to what the issue is but apart from this one issue, it has been excellent and easy to configure with the user-interface option.

Regards,
Jamie
Oh no, do you still have power and no sound, or completely dead?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
I have a Rosenut DB1 that I really enjoyed but I decided in early 2016 to add two JL Audio F113v2s (thanks Ivan). I liked the look and sound of the DB1 in how it complimented and integrated with my speakers. There are software settings specifically for the B&W speaker line and the software also has the ability to tailor to any other speaker. The DB1 allows for a really good foundation, the software is easy to use, and you can take a microphone reading of the room for the peak correction (similar to other sub manufacturers). The reason I changed to a pair of the Fathoms? The do make for an "oh wow" moment

I have the DB1 in a guest bedroom and plan on using it if I decide to add an integrated amp, speakers and streamer to our bedroom.

I can always pick up another sub and this one will be a bit more than needed in a bedroom so if anyone is interested in my DB1 please PM me. I have the original boxes and all that came with the sub.
Interesting info. Since you switched from 1xDB1 to 2xF113v2, do you think its the addition of a second sub or just that the F113v2 is just better?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Greetings from NC

A couple of considerations were made. I already had two Fathom F112s in the home theater (family room) so was familiar with JL Audio and their A.R.C. Also in the HT we learned about room nulls and how two subs balanced the room. I had one DB1 in the 2 channel room and one day I saw Ivan helping someone sell an unopened F113v2. The F113v2 is the new version that compensates for multiple room nulls (at least that is what I recall and am at the moment too preoccupied to look up the specifics and what the new calibration is called - look it up and you will see) so I bought it and immediately decided to order an additional one. Pricing was great (as we subscribers know) so I took the plunge including cabling and sound anchor stands. So yes with two subs now balancing the room and with the F113v2 software with more calibration points it turned out great. Now consider also that I use the MEN220 to handle the crossover and Barry Ober of Soundoctor fame lives not far away so I had the guy who was one of the engineers who was part of the design with JL Audio come to the house to set it all up. So yes I am very happy with the result but if I had added a second DB1 I likely would have been happy as well. I just beleive I took it up to another level when you consider all that occurred. The DB1 is an excellent musical sub and they integrate well with most any speaker system but especially with the B&W line. And it is a beautiful sub to look at too in the rosewood and the way the drivers catch the light and the silver ring. It is really handsome. It is now laying in wait for my next project. My wife asks if I will sell it as she would rather it not be in the corner of one of the guest rooms. I am really hesitant but I probably should and when the time comes I can always find another.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslrock View Post
A couple of considerations were made. I already had two Fathom F112s in the home theater (family room) so was familiar with JL Audio and their A.R.C. Also in the HT we learned about room nulls and how two subs balanced the room. I had one DB1 in the 2 channel room and one day I saw Ivan helping someone sell an unopened F113v2. The F113v2 is the new version that compensates for multiple room nulls (at least that is what I recall and am at the moment too preoccupied to look up the specifics and what the new calibration is called - look it up and you will see) so I bought it and immediately decided to order an additional one. Pricing was great (as we subscribers know) so I took the plunge including cabling and sound anchor stands. So yes with two subs now balancing the room and with the F113v2 software with more calibration points it turned out great. Now consider also that I use the MEN220 to handle the crossover and Barry Ober of Soundoctor fame lives not far away so I had the guy who was one of the engineers who was part of the design with JL Audio come to the house to set it all up. So yes I am very happy with the result but if I had added a second DB1 I likely would have been happy as well. I just beleive I took it up to another level when you consider all that occurred. The DB1 is an excellent musical sub and they integrate well with most any speaker system but especially with the B&W line. And it is a beautiful sub to look at too in the rosewood and the way the drivers catch the light and the silver ring. It is really handsome. It is now laying in wait for my next project. My wife asks if I will sell it as she would rather it not be in the corner of one of the guest rooms. I am really hesitant but I probably should and when the time comes I can always find another.
How are you integrating the f113's with your 802's? Do you run the 802's full range and the subs below 34hz or cross them over higher?
Old 01-14-2017, 01:42 AM
Greetings from NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
How are you integrating the f113's with your 802's? Do you run the 802's full range and the subs below 34hz or cross them over higher?

Out of town but have an answer in a day or two.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
I’d love to know this as well. Adding an F113V2 to my 802D speakers next week.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:09 AM

I don't own the DB1, but one DB2D which runs with my beloved white 802D3.
I deeeeply love it and you can't find virtually any reviews of that one. So... You're not alone.
Really love the App to control it, but noone can answer me that question:
In the App, switching the profile from music to film (or vice versa) - what REALLY happens? Nothing to read in the manual or elsewhere. Does anyone of you know what changes then?