AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Default Amps that make Magico sing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1chen View Post
The magico Q series is too sensitive to the matching hardware and they demand some of the better gear include cables and even power source to sing. Yes, I understand not everyone have the luxury to own the source, amps n cable that cost higher than the speaker. So it voice down to pay for what you can afford and don't compare. But when you don't own it before, it is not fair to say don't sound good. After all most dealer can't afford to get the gears just to match with the magico. They are out for a living and they need gears that is universal to drive other brand speaker too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I've heard this before, or similar, with the conclusion being: if the Magico speaker does not "sing" (going with your description) then it is not mated with the right amplifier (or some other piece of gear.)

In a dealer display, I listened to the Q5 and S5 with a particular brand of amplifier. Without saying what that was or what I heard, could you please identify 3 or 4 amplifiers the Magico community generally agrees are units that enable the speaker to sing? I'm curious if what I heard was on the list.

Quote:
Suggest you start a new thread in magico.
At S1Chen's suggestion, here is a question: Which amplifiers are generally agreed to make Q5 and S5 Magico speakers sing?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM

I start the ball rolling at my side with the soulution new 711, 701 and the 530. I have also hear the VAC 300 and 450 with good result.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I start the ball rolling at my side with the soulution new 711, 701 and the 530. I have also hear the VAC 300 and 450 with good result.
Agree on 711, having owned 710 for a while, acknowledged that it is quite an improvement over its predecessor.
Prefer it even to old mono 700s for its sheer musicality and refinement ~ Not heard the 701s yet.

My vote from what I've heard with Magicos would be :
1- FM Acoustics 115 + 266 (Q3, Q7)
2- CH Precision M1 + C1 + PS (Q5)
3- Soulution 711 + 720 (Q7)
(*in order of preference)

Yes, heard few years back with VAC 300 as well older Renaissance + pre, which were also superb matching for those looking for tube partnering (M6).

Last edited by bvdiman; 08-25-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 PM

Constellation is the first one I heard that made Magico's sound like a upper tier product. I had previously heard them with Spectral, BaLabo, VTL, Bel Canto Black, and Electrocompaniet and they were always blah. I will probably hear them with Soulution in the next couple of weeks and I am guessing they will do the trick too.

Last edited by Still-One; 10-14-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvdiman View Post
Agree on 711, having owned 710 for a while, acknowledged that it is quite an improvement over its predecessor. Prefer it even to old mono 700s for its sheer musicality and refinement ~ Not heard the 701s yet. My vote from what I've heard with Magicos would be : 1- FM Acoustics 115 + 266 (Q3, Q7) 2- CH Precision M1 + C1 + PS (Q5) 3- Soulution 711 + 720 (Q7) (*in order of preference) Yes, heard few years back with VAC 300 as well older Renaissance + pre, which are also superb matching for those looking for tube partnering (M6).
Agree on the Soulution 711. Have direct, long term experience listening to the 711 and the stereo Dartzeel with the Magico M5s in my listening room. A sublime experience in both cases.

Also had an opportunity to hear the Magico S3 with the Absolare tube monos for several hours at a dealer's shop - a truly magical combo (pun intended).

I expect to be able to listen to the 711, Dartzeel stereo, CH Precision A1 monos and the Absolare monos with the Magico Q7s in my listening room by sometime in October. Will report back then.

And Jeff Fritz (Soundstage Ultra) declared the Gryphon Mephisto as the perfect match for the Magico Q7s.

I haven't personally heard Magicos paired with tube amps other than the S3 with the Absolares, but Myles Astor and Robert Hartley reported very positive results with the Conrad Johnson ART monos with the S5s, and the Absolare monos with the Q7, respectively.

Has anyone else heard tube amps that have made Magicos sing?
Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 AM

S5 with ARC ref 250's
Outstanding sound
Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 AM

on a complete different price level as equipment mentioned in posts above, Accuphase E-600 makes my V3's sing. So I imagine that it will also drive the S5 without any problems.

Magico's like amplifiers that can provide current (at low impedances), The E-600 will do 2 Ohm without any problems, even 1 Ohm load's are ok for music signals.
(V3's are dipping to a 2,5 Ohm load at certain frequencies)
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Well, I don't know because I have never heard the combo, but Jeff Fritz seems to report positively on a Devialet 120 & his Q7's, which seems both an unlikely and slightly absurd combination.

SoundStage! Ultra | SoundStageUltra.com (UltraAudio.com) | Devialet, SAM, and the Changing of the High-End Guard

Who would have thought?

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-25-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 AM

I love ths sound of the S5 driven by the ASR Emitter II amp. The Vitus RI-100 also drove my S5 excellently, although I would slightly prefer the ASR if I were forced to choose.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Well, I don't know because I have never heard the combo, but Jeff Fritz seems to report positively on a Devialet 120 & his Q7's, which seems both an unlikely and slightly absurd combination. SoundStage! Ultra | SoundStageUltra.com (UltraAudio.com) | Devialet, SAM, and the Changing of the High-End Guard Who would have thought?
Andy,

Incredible! And for $6,995 retail! I need to reread the "opinion"; but at first pass, I couldn't find any mention of a downside or any wavering in Fritz's praise either in the article or between the lines. Given the cost of admission, hard not to try it and see for yourself.