AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 10-16-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
As I already mentioned in my previous post, going for a new (or used) Accuphase integrated might be an option.

Please keep in mind, that the Accuphase sound character has changed considerably in the past few years from somewhat reserved ('applied handbrake') to much more open and transparent.

IMHO an E-600 will outperform your current combo. However I cannot tell you, whether you will like its different sound character.

You will need to go out and listen for yourself.

I'd suggest you take your combo to an Accuphase dealer and start there to compare with an E-280 ( if this unit would be within your budget).

Martin
Hey Martin, thanks a ton for the help. It's difficult to get deep Accuphase experience and knowledge through the years. I don't believe there are any dealers in Houston, Tx to listen to their new sound signature which i have not heard. Keeping in mind i use Klipsch speakers, and likely to return to using Klipschorns soon enough, i was expecting any Class A Accuphase would work, but never thought the sound signature might have changed.

My only experience with newer Accuphase sound could be with going from the DAC-10 option board which i really liked with a laid back sound and a nice little bloom, to the DAC-50 which i found too forward and fatiguing at first. The DAC-50 came out sounding better once i added the P-360 amp and upscaled everything to DSD. Rich in detail and i have not had listening fatigue since.

I do search Japanese auctions daily and prices are just a tad bit better than what i see pop up in the US, but there is far more variety of choices from vintage to current models. One of the main draws other than lower price point for me to buy vintage Accuphase is the easy ability to rewire the voltage at the bottom of the unit via color coded wires. I have heard newer Accuphase models do not have any markings or coloring of their wiring therefor making it impossible for you or a tech to rewire for your appropriate voltage? In that case i would need a voltage transformer which i've also read can severely degrade the sound quality.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:48 PM

Try the e-600 or 650. You can get them used and they would make a set of klipsch just sing.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Try the e-600 or 650. You can get them used and they would make a set of klipsch just sing.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4STR0 View Post
I do search Japanese auctions daily and prices are just a tad bit better than what i see pop up in the US, but there is far more variety of choices from vintage to current models. One of the main draws other than lower price point for me to buy vintage Accuphase is the easy ability to rewire the voltage at the bottom of the unit via color coded wires. I have heard newer Accuphase models do not have any markings or coloring of their wiring therefor making it impossible for you or a tech to rewire for your appropriate voltage? In that case i would need a voltage transformer which i've also read can severely degrade the sound quality.
Since servicing must be provided by the distributor of the corresponding country, Accuphase did set up a policy, that units bought in other countries would not be serviced at all.

Buying from Japan is therefore a bad idea.
(Apart from the shipping and import costs.)

Only look for used equipment in the US and get the complete serial number from the seller. You can then ask the US distributor, whether the unit was a legal US import. (Accuphase keeps track of every single unit ever built.)

Martin
Old 10-18-2021, 11:58 AM

Thank you both kindly. I'll be on the lookout for an integrated from US markets, but i do really like the cx260 and p360 quite a bit for my tastes and budget. I can see among Accupase regulars, something like the cx260 never entered your radar, and it having multi channel function would give it a bad rep as well. It's impressively built, more impressive than newer pres i see costing much more than i paid. The triple parallel line configuration for stereo(MCS) may sound like a gimmick but i trust Accuphase and i trust my ears. I do trust Accuphase made leaps through the years so the E600 is on my radar and i got a bunch of McIntosh units collecting dust that will help me fund more Accuphase (jk i still love macs)

Side question:
How much is it tech jumps and how much is it tired capacitors? You take a 20 year old flagship preamp from Accuphase and you put all the same "newly developed filtering capacitors" that their current model uses and would it not compete?
Old 10-18-2021, 01:21 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Side question:
How much is it tech jumps and how much is it tired capacitors? You take a 20 year old flagship preamp from Accuphase and you put all the same "newly developed filtering capacitors" that their current model uses and would it not compete?
It would not be remotely close.

Disclosure; I am an Authorized Accuphase Dealer in the USA.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-18-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
It would not be remotely close.

Disclosure; I am an Authorized Accuphase Dealer in the USA.
Would certainly be an interesting demo, since auditory memory isn't reliable. It is believable though considering the cost of these current production flagship units which also means they are putting more money into building them.

As an experienced Accuphase dealer, do you have a recommendation for interconnect material? Copper? Silver? I see you have Shunyata power cables throughout, i do have a friend i can borrow some to try out that match, but what about DIY power cables such as Dueland cable?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2021, 04:03 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Would certainly be an interesting demo, since auditory memory isn't reliable. It is believable though considering the cost of these current production flagship units which also means they are putting more money into building them.

As an experienced Accuphase dealer, do you have a recommendation for interconnect material? Copper? Silver? I see you have Shunyata power cables throughout, i do have a friend i can borrow some to try out that match, but what about DIY power cables such as Dueland cable?

Thanks
I use all Solid Silver IC’s; no DIY for Accuphase gear.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-18-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
..., but i do really like the cx260 and p360 quite a bit for my tastes and budget....
When you are satisfied with what you got, why bothering about changing?

Martin
Old 10-18-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltemi View Post
When you are satisfied with what you got, why bothering about changing?

Martin
That's part of the addiction i suppose. Chasing after something. I was floored from the moment i first listened to my new to me Accuphase preamp taking a chance solely on reputation and never listening to anything Accuphase before. Shortly after spending 4k on a McIntosh too. From there i knew i had to move up the Accuphase ladder as best i could. I ended up with this multichannel piece because i don't have space to do separate rooms so i wanted best of both worlds with main focus on stereo. I went with this over a Pathos Cinema Integrated with a tube preamp section that sounded phenomenal to me and they had NOS telefunkens. It was just way too hot for me to realistically use it as much as i was going to doubling as music and HT. I'm also just not interested in tube rolling and having to worry about tube life.

So basically i went into this brand blind. I'm just now starting to put together what the model #'s mean and their tiers such as the cx-260 looks nearly identical and has the same tech as the c245 released same year which was meant to be paired with the p370-10 years prior was the p360 which was paired with the c260 of the same year 10 years prior to cx260(so i somewhat can see why my set up sounds good together). There was a flagship pre prior to the c260 and a flagship pre right after the c245 and cx260.

Now in understanding the daunting amount of model numbers, i see an E600 would be a good approach toward being floored again and grin ear to ear. That's all it's really about. Even now at low volume i'm smiling at how it's supposed to get even better with Class A, but this combo is so rich and detailed at low volume already. So i chase.