AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 12-11-2015, 07:03 PM

Everything straight to the wall....The previous house we were in I was using a power conditioner as I could hear a difference, telling me the power was not "clean". This house sounds as the other did with PC....So I sold them.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:14 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
You should add a pair of Shunyata Hydra Cyclops v2 to each line. You will be amazed at the reduced noise and increased clarity of the sound.
Bud, you're killing me! Two more Cyclops and two more power cords is what I thought I was avoiding by buying Sigma HCs. Are you really going wall>power cord>Cyclops>power cord> amp times 2? Wouldn't I be better off with a Typhon plugged into my MPC-12?

Last edited by chessman; 12-11-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-12-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Bud, you're killing me! Two more Cyclops and two more power cords is what I thought I was avoiding by buying Sigma HCs. Are you really going wall>power cord>Cyclops>power cord> amp times 2? Wouldn't I be better off with a Typhon plugged into my MPC-12?
Can't comment on the Typhon, but when I sent my Cyclops off to be upgraded to v2, I was amazed at the grunge I was hearing plugged directly into the wall. When they were returned I was in heaven. Use the Sigmas from the amps to the Cyclops, and find a pair of used Zitron Anacondas from the Cyclips to the wall. I love my stereo now with the full Shunyata setup.

Of course, if you never hear it with Cyclops then you don't know what you are missing.

--------------------------------------------
Bud

Lumin S1
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:46 PM

Yes, I use Isotek Super Titan evo3. It sounds much better than directly from that wall socket.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
I have the Isotek Sigmas EVO 3. When auditioning the Isotek (I also had an Isol8 and 2 Transparent Power Isolators at hand) I found that the Sigmas was the best match for me and my system. It contributed with calm blackness. When connecting the amp directly to the wall outlet I get a somewhat "harder" and a more "restless" presentation.
Hey BigBlue - I'm looking at the Isotek Aquarius at the moment with my system and it seems to make an audible difference. Did you trial the Aquarius before choosing the Sigmas which seems to be a step up? Also interested in whether you are using any of the Isotek Power cables with your conditioner and if so, which ones?
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM

My amps go directly into my Consonance D-Linear 15. My Preamp/CDP, TT and Olive as well.......everything basically ........It does an excellent job of power conditioning and protection. Ive had 1200/1300 watts showing on the Mac meters and the sound/power was not choked in any way.....clean as a whistle.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 PM

MC452, MC501, and MC205 into a P-10 into dedicated 20A outlet.
The rest of my stuff spread into two P-5's also into dedicated 20A outlets.
Besides the clean power, I have witnessed at least three thunderstorms where All three Power Plants did their protective jobs, and reset uneventfully. Always wonder how much $$ they are saving me in unnecessary repairs/replacement...
Old 03-24-2016, 06:40 PM

Ayre MXR mono amps into High Fidelity Hemisphere power conditioner w/High Fidelity URR power cord.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:56 PM

It depends on the design of the conditioner; My Furutech Daytona 303 has 2 unfiltered outputs for HC power amps, so I have my power amp and sub connected to it, and it sounds great that way. I would have it connected to the wall if it only had filtered outputs.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Yes, I use Isotek Super Titan evo3. It sounds much better than directly from that wall socket.
+1 Another definite vote for an amp direct-connected into an Isotek EVO3 TITAN.

I've owned a lot of different types and brands of power conditioners over the years; Monster, Richard Gray, Shunyata Hydra8s, Tara AD6C, Furman (Elite 15PF, IT-Reference20 and IT-Reference20i), ExactPower EP15A, Purepower 2000, Bybee Stealth v3) and now a combo of the Isotek EVO3 SIGMAS and EVO3 TITAN....

With the Monster, Gray, Shunyata, Tara, Furman and Exactpower, while I did run with my Edge NL series amps into the conditioner for quite a while, once i had a good dedicated 20-amp circuit with good grounding, etc...those amps sounded much better and had much more dynamic range when direct-connected into the wall. With the Purepower it seemed to be a toss-up, so I left them plugged into the conditioner so I could run off battery power when desired and have peace of mind of safety through a brown-out and all the things the PP2000 brought to the table before the unit's batteries started to have issues and I started to have significant issues with PP customer service and integrity.

With the Bybee Stealth v3 and an Edge NL12.1 and later Maker Audio NL14, it was a very close race sonically. Left these amps plugged into the Bybee very happily but their dynamics improved on the "biggest" material (large scale orchestral, pipe organ, etc...) when put direct into the wall.

My latest conditioner config is a dual-config recommended to me by the then US distributor for Isotek (Kevin from Vana Ltd); I have the Isotek EVO3 SIGMAS "tethered" directly into the back of the Isotek EVO3 TITAN and ran my Maker Audio NL14, and now my Esoteric A-02 directly out of the TITAN along with the bespoke HDPLEX power supply for the Legacy Wavelet processor with great results. The added bonus is that all my other equipment, including the 1000w ICE amps in the Legacy Aeris towers are direct connected into the back of the EVO3 SIGMAS. The SIGMAS being tethered directly to the TITAN is fantastic combination, works as one unified power conditioner, same ground reference, etc....best I've ever heard and I'm not looking back. If I could ever afford a couple of their Super Titan or other top-line units, I might upgrade but the TITAN and SIGMAS are here to stay tethered together until that day. The super black backgrounds and overall performance of the system took a big leap when I moved to these Isotek units....