AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Semi-audiophile

Does anyone have the measurements for the 2300 remote? I am in Texas for the holidays and received a remote caddy for a present. I need to know if the 2300 remote will fit. Thanks.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Semi-audiophile

The other day I finally, after weeks, played a record. I had Chicago V in my head so that was my choice. I am going through an Aragon 47k phono preamp to the 2300's line stage.

Realizing that recordings and recording quality vary, I was amazed at the weight of the bass. I'd complained early on about what to me was a less full, dynamic sound than I was used to with my AR LS3. Well, it showed up on Chicago V. The sound was a bit dark, but detail was nice and I got into the music. I then played a track from Sting's The Dream of the Blue Turtles, and that sounded good too although the weight I enjoyed before backed off some. Now I'm wondering about going directly into the 2300's MM phono section again, out of curiosity. I started that way but abandoned it because I don't play records that much and it made more sense to use the line stage for that. Plus, I declared war on my power cord and cable clutter situation (separate thread) so going into the 2300 directly would eliminate a power cord and a pair of interconnects. It would also mean the hassle of reconfiguring things and re-tubing the 2300's phono section.

I have to think about this.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Semi-audiophile

I bought some latex gloves on Saturday, and just ordered a matched set of the fabled Gold Lions and one set of Mullards to go with my NOS Amperex and JJ sets. I thought of getting two pairs of each, but didn't want to spend that money just now, as there are a couple of jazz shows coming up to go to.

This will be my "library" for the time being now. If I decide to use the 2300's phono input and the GLs or Mullards are in the line stage I will probably want another set of the winner for the MM section. I still plan, when I get a chance, to swap out the JJs for the Amperex (which the Tube Depot guy says is a very good tube). They weren't in the 2300 long, only about 20 hours, but I remember thinking they had a very clean sound.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Semi-audiophile

Last night, I had the urge to pull out an LP or two, being in the mood for some classic rock. My 301 is out for repair (no word yet) so I rely on other sources for now, though I could re-insert my Marantz DV8400 into the system temporarily.

I pulled out Led Zeppelin II and Close to the Edge and played them. I was mildly surprised to hear musical information and detail I hadn't heard before, and in the case of Close to the Edge, information I don't recall hearing from the standard CD. In both cases I heard deeper into the mix. This is all coming from a 22 year-old turntable with a relatively new cartridge (1 year, but very lightly used) going through a 20 year-old phono preamp to the 2300's line stage with JJ ECC803s gold pins. Makes me wonder if this is the cartridge, the 2300, or the combination.

Last edited by prepress; 02-16-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 AM
Semi-audiophile

Out of curiosity, how many C2300 owners use its phono section vs. a stand-alone phono preamp? And, what is the basis for your choice? I use an Aragon 47k phono preamp now and can't say I have real complaints (except the upgraded power supply is awkward to place), but visions of the Parasound JC-3 dance in my head from time to time.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Out of curiosity, how many C2300 owners use its phono section vs. a stand-alone phono preamp? And, what is the basis for your choice? I use an Aragon 47k phono preamp now and can't say I have real complaints (except the upgraded power supply is awkward to place), but visions of the Parasound JC-3 dance in my head from time to time.
Just a reminder that Parasound's latest phono is the JC-3+.

How the JC3+ improves on the JC3:

-Variable MC load adjust independent for each channel from 50-550 ohms with dual gang potentiometers specially made for Parasound by Vishay.
-Curl-Thompson tweaked circuits to further reduce the JC 3 silent background noise.
-24k gold plated copper traces on phono module boards for utmost conductivity and most transparency/detail in the music.
-47% larger low ESD power supply filter caps greater reserve for head-snapping dynamics.
-82% larger R-core power transformer greater reserve for more low end impact.
-Ability to turn off illumination of the front panel P logo.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Just a reminder that Parasound's latest phono is the JC-3+.

How the JC3+ improves on the JC3:

-Variable MC load adjust independent for each channel from 50-550 ohms with dual gang potentiometers specially made for Parasound by Vishay.
-Curl-Thompson tweaked circuits to further reduce the JC 3 silent background noise.
-24k gold plated copper traces on phono module boards for utmost conductivity and most transparency/detail in the music.
-47% larger low ESD power supply filter caps greater reserve for head-snapping dynamics.
-82% larger R-core power transformer greater reserve for more low end impact.
-Ability to turn off illumination of the front panel P logo.
And all for an extra $500, I believe. I knew about the upgrade, but would be fine with the regular JC 3 also, as I don't play records that much these days. I'm sure either the original or upgraded model is better than my 47K, a 20 year-old unit which sounds more than respectable even today. Still, thanks for the specs on what the upgrade actually involves. The power supply upgrade is attractive.

To invest in one of these would be to make a commitment to vinyl at a time when I'm not sure what I'll be doing. I hope to retire in 10 years, at which time I'd probably have to relocate (NY is really expensive and I'd be on reduced income). If my turntable dies within the next five years, I'll replace it; after that I'd be inclined to let it and the associated accessories go as a downsizing measure. My LPs, also.

But with my current setup, LPs have sounded good. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Semi-audiophile

Yesterday afternoon I went to the John Varvatos store in downtown Manhattan. I knew there was audio equipment and LPs in there. Also JV is a Mac fan. In fact, the store sells Mac's Soho 1 collection. My fantasy XR200s were there. The biggest seller in the system is the MT10 turntable, according to the sales clerk.

I bought a couple of LPs, Inner Secrets by Santana and Moving Waves by Focus. The Santana is an original 1st pressing, sealed, unplayed mint copy, and sounded like it. No noise, clicks or pops. I got it beacuse I wanted the original version of One Chain (Don't Make No Prison); mine was lost in a fire a long time ago and the copy I later bought has the disco-fied version of this track; I always preferred the original. The Focus LP isn't sealed but is marked as unplayed. I don't know. It's a bit noisy in the early going on the one side I played, and even skipped once during Hocus Pocus.

But I've got another idea swirling in my head as a result of this. I'm back to thinking of giving the 2300's phono section another chance. I would move the broken-in line stage Amperex tubes to the MM section and put my other pair of Amperexes in their place, removing the Aragon 47k from the system. I can remove two shelves from the system then. If I do decide I must have the JC 3 (or JC 3+) I can always return the configuration to its current setup with the JC 3 replacing the 47k. I'm going to think about this one more.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Semi-audiophile

AQ King Cobra arrived today, 3 pairs. I think I'll wait until Saturday to install them and reconfigure the system. Meanwhile, the tuner sounds good with the KC connection, using an on-hand pair.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, I indeed reconfigured my system yesterday (photo attached; the job is not quite complete). Part of that reconfiguration was moving the line stage Amperex tubes into the MM phono section, and inserting the other pair of Amperexes I have into the line stage, where they'll break in faster. The Aragon 47k has been removed from the system, and all source/preamp connections are now AQ King Cobra, except for the turntable.

I noted first with the VPI connected directly to the 2300, that the 2300's ground connection and the Van den Hul phono cables aren't a great match; the spades on the tonearm cable are too small to go around the 2300's terminal. I stick one spade of each leg into the hole and that seems to be good enough. The screw is turned tightly.

Preliminary findings are that the 2300's MM stage is as good as the Aragon, even with its IPS power supply. I've played only one record so far, and need to play more familiar ones to test things further; I hadn't played Santana's Festival in a long time. One other thing from last night is that, though I had to turn up the volume more than with the line stage, the bass was strong, as strong as the line stage's; with the MM it was flat (0), whereas with the line stage it's set to +3. I'll leave it set at 0 for phono and see what happens.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0135.jpg (80.2 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 04-20-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo.