AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 08-01-2021, 02:42 AM

Default Converting formats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Sorry. I never use Mac.

However, I did stumble on this: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...#post-27449397
Thanks for sticking with this thread, Kal.

I understand that you've used Sonore ISO2DSD to create one large "raw" ISO file from your SACDs. After you have said ISO file stored away, how do you go about converting it from there? As I like what I hear from FLAC files, I'd like to stick with that file type.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-01-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post

Impreza.... That's great news, but would mind elaborating on which set of instructions you had good luck with? At this point, I'm up to four sets of written instructions and they're all different. Needless to say, a computer has to be told exactly what to do, so any variations in the procedure will invariably cause a failure.

Thanks for your post
I have used the info on hifihaven.org, my Oppo BDP 103D connected to the network with a LAN cable.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I understand that you've used Sonore ISO2DSD to create one large "raw" ISO file from your SACDs. After you have said ISO file stored away, how do you go about converting it from there?
1. You use ISO2DSD in network mode to rip the disc to an ISO file.
2. You use ISO2DSD in file mode to convert it to DSF or DFF.

Quote:
As I like what I hear from FLAC files, I'd like to stick with that file type.
Converting DSD to FLAC is a (mildly) lossy process and, generally, I advice against it.

If you can play DSD (as DSF or DFF), there is only one reason to convert your rips to FLAC/PCM and that is to allow for DSP including roomEQ.

When I need to convert it, for that purpose, I rely on Jriver or Roon to do the conversion in real-time rather than use an app to create additional files.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:40 PM
Racing Hoopties

Default Time to rip high-def and multi-channel

I agree. The only reason to convert DSD to FLAC would be if your DAC could not handle DSD.

If you want FLAC, buy the best version of an album on a CD and save the extra money you would spend on SACDs or DSD downloads.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 08-01-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I agree. The only reason to convert DSD to FLAC would be if your DAC could not handle DSD.
I never considered that.
Quote:
If you want FLAC, buy the best version of an album on a CD and save the extra money you would spend on SACDs or DSD downloads.
But CDs have only 2 channels.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Default The Infamous DSD Click?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

If you can play DSD (as DSF or DFF), there is only one reason to convert your rips to FLAC/PCM and that is to allow for DSP including roomEQ.

When I need to convert it, for that purpose, I rely on Jriver or Roon to do the conversion in real-time rather than use an app to create additional files.
I've got JRiver MC28 for Mac, on a trial basis, and I've used it [so far] to rip redbook CDs to FLAC. The results are very nice, so I assumed that FLAC is the way to go.

On the other hand, I'm now employing Sonore ISO2DSD to process the SACDs that we already own into individual DSF files [which happened by accident, honestly]. So I went back to the JRiver forum to research converting said DSF files to FLAC and, in short, found a thread where JRiver users were complaining about what they refer to as the "infamous DSD click." In fact, it would seem that there are folks out there who've already ripped all of their SACDs and, for whatever reason, are having to go back and rip their SACDs to ISO again.

I'll link you to the thread, but I'd really like to avoid any issues down the road, so I'm hoping to find the simplest way to go about ripping both types of SACDs (stereo and MC). I see that you've posted to this thread, Kal, so would you mind typing some words about this phenomenon and, more to the point, how to best go about avoiding it?

CLICK HERE TO GET TO THE INFAMOUS DSD CLICK THREAD

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 08-01-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I've got JRiver MC28 for Mac, on a trial basis, and I've used it [so far] to rip redbook CDs to FLAC. The results are very nice, so I assumed that FLAC is the way to go.
For CDs, yes.

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm now employing Sonore ISO2DSD to process the SACDs that we already own into individual DSF files [which happened by accident, honestly]. So I went back to the JRiver forum to research converting said DSF files to FLAC and, in short, found a thread where JRiver users were complaining about what they refer to as the "infamous DSD click." In fact, it would seem that there are folks out there who've already ripped all of their SACDs and, for whatever reason, are having to go back and rip their SACDs to ISO again.
Old stuff.

Quote:
I'll link you to the thread, but I'd really like to avoid any issues down the road, so I'm hoping to find the simplest way to go about ripping both types of SACDs (stereo and MC). I see that you've posted to this thread, Kal, so would you mind typing some words about this phenomenon and, more to the point, how to best go about avoiding it?
2 ways.
1. Use the most up-date-version of SACD_extract or, instead of ISO2DSD, use the latest conversion methods from github.com.
2. Do the ISO to DSF conversion with Bogi's method:
ISO2DSF v1.2.2 - SACD ISO to DFF to DSF via context menu
Old 08-01-2021, 04:46 PM

Smile Okay, There's Newer Software

Thank you, Kal. I will definitely dig into this as soon as I get a chance to do so.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:53 PM

Smile Interstate One and Zero (I-10)

Quote:

As a digital rookie, I really don't know very much, yet, about which formats/codecs are best. We do own more than a few stereo and multichannel SACDs, though, so I suppose that I'm going to be learning a lot of new things as we continue down I-10, the Digital Highway.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:02 PM
Racing Hoopties

I forgot you had multichannel SACDs and are using a surround sound system.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack