AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Retired

Am guessing that with induction one must 'learn their pans' as each will heat differently.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I've had one for 10 years and really like it. Just take a magnet with you when you buy pots and pans. If the magnet doesn't stick to the bottom it won't work!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahug View Post
3) Cast iron is not recommended as it can scratch the glass. I have not tried it myself.

Cast iron is our go to for lots of things. That rules out induction cooktop.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Cast iron is our go to for lots of things. That rules out induction cooktop.

I've been using cast iron skillets on my induction without any problems. Cooks great steaks!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
I've been using cast iron skillets on my induction without any problems. Cooks great steaks!
Indeed. Only way to cook a steak is in a good, heavy skillet with butter, schrooms & garlic. Think I'll pick a couple of Porterhouse today.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-19-2019, 10:31 AM

https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stai...l+clad+braiser

I really like this pan for frying steaks (and many other uses; i have 3 of these). It's very wide (you can cook a couple of good sized steaks, not 2 porterhouses tho), sides that are high enough to reduce splatter and low enough that steak doesn't steam. You can also blast it really hot, it sits flat on induction, and thick enough to retain a decent amount of heat. Non nonstick but really useful.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Retired

I like the anodized non-stick All-Clad pieces. Use their square skillet with the ribs on the bottom for almost all my oven work unless cooking for more than it will hold.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahug View Post
We have a 30 inch gaggenau induction cooktop (as well as a wolf all gas range and a viking all gas range and a wood fired oven here and there). I'm a proficient hobby cook.

Induction works well and will boil a pot of water faster than gas. It's also easier to clean up. The glass surface on a high end unit does not get scorchingly hot as it only heats up the metal in pan. It's also less of a fire hazard (some apartments do not allow gas) and vs using bottled gas you don't run out.

The main negatives for me are 1) Heat level is much less intuitive, simply based on the numbers. I think there are some induction cooktops which include LED lights to simulate intensity. 2) In addition to not working on all pans (must be magnetic), your pan has to sit more or less flat on the cooktop. Some of my favorite and most used pans (thin blue steel french saute pans which are non stick when seasoned) warp or deform when heated. These don't heat up evenly with induction. Flat bottomed carbon steel woks or wide paella pans are likely not to sit flat. Also if you plan to season carbon steel pans, this incredibly difficult with an induction hob. This is not insurmountable, just buy all clad type cookware. 3) Cast iron is not recommended as it can scratch the glass. I have not tried it myself. 4) It's harder to flip food on a saute pan as I fear I will crack the glass if the pan bangs on it by accident.

Overall I prefer gas, but the induction is reasonably capable. If you like carbon steel cookware, it's somewhat of a bother. But a good cook never blames his tools.

I agree, when we refurbed out kitchen we changed from gas to induction (Bosch Serie | 8 60 cm Cooktop Induction)

Pros: very easy to clean, boils water fast, good for low heat simmering
Cons: less than a year old & control panel had to be replaced (under warranty), hopeless with a wok, heat levels below 4 have very little difference, need flat bottomed pots, control panel throws a fit if a hot pan gets close to it.

I still like induction cooktops, but would still have a gas ring next to it for wok cooking.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Whats best for you depends on what kind cook you are.

If you are a good baker, are very “clean” in your cooking space, follow recipes, and like precision and consistent results, induction is good for you.

If you cook by taste, experiment in ingredients, and generally make a bit of a mess, gas is a better choice.

Induction is clean, your pan bottom has to stay clean and perfect (no bits of burnt anything or it’ll keep pan from sitting flay and will make a mess of your nice glass countertop). Precision control and limited pan options mean you have to plan out your overall meal plan and timing. You put your pan down and cant movs it.

With gas you can use your cast iron pan (can’t use on glass cooktop), you can shake and move your pan around over the heat without loosing heat (like when I make risotto or stirfry or even sautee’ing anything). You can tilt off heat and collect juices to spoon over the top when searing proteins like chicken breast or a piece of fish. You can crank the heat for a quick sear, throw in the oven, then return to quick heat on the stove to deglaze and make a pan sauce. You can flambee. Cleanup is easier as alot of the messy splatter or spills burn up in the flame, but when you do spill a little oil, you dont have to cool the stovetop to wipe down clean before using the next pan (induction tops have to be kept just as clean as your pan bottom).

Basically, induction is a great choice for a home/hobbyist who cooks basic meals. Gas is a better choice for a more advanced chef who likes to get their hands a little bit dirty and use various techniques.

If you do go with gas, you’ve always got the option of a plug-in countertop induction plate you can dedicate to boiling water or long low temp simmers/reductions.

If you go with induction, invest in a multi-stage cleaner and use it everytime you cook. The second a bit of oil or food gets onto that glass top it gets onto your pan and creates a mess to clean up. My parents stove gets a spray clean/wipe, then a white carwax like paste that dries and then is buffed off with a microfiber cloth. Razor blade glass scraper kept on hand for anything burnt/stubborn on the glasstop. Barkeepers friend to the bottom/outside of every pan pretty much everytime anything is done other than boiling water. I hate cooking there...

On my gas range, my cast iron pans amd carbon steel pans are thrown about and abused with love while my copper pans have a lovely patina to them and take zero effort to clean after cooking. My kitchen def gets hotter (and noisier as pans are tossed around with little regard to the burner surface) but hey, if you can’t stand the heat lol...
Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM

Induction cooktops a breeze to cleanup. Any all purpose kitchen spray, paper towels and bingo.

We use a cast iron skilled every day on our induction cooktop. Breakfast. Cooking steaks, pork chops etc etc

I don't think you know as much about induction cooktops as you think you do. I've had one for 10+ years. Thermador.