AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 01-23-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Review - Furutech Flux 50 NCF

Last week, I installed a single Furutech Flux 50 NCF between my Statement SE power cord going from my wall outlet, to my Statement SE power distribution box (which provides power to my main equipment rack consisting of my pre-amplifier, DAC, and all of my source components). The result? All I can say is that it was astonishing...

I am amazed by what this little device can do. The effect is immediate, and very noticeable! On a very well recorded and most recent album by one of my favorite French Canadian rockers (Jean Leloup - Paradis City) - that I had been enjoying tremendously prior to installing the Flux 50 NCF - I noticed the following differences with the Flux 50 now installed:

1. The depth and width of the sound-stage improved dramatically. Guitar licks that had previously stood out, causing the speakers to disappear, were now literally almost jumping out behind me and were landing even deeper within the sonic landscape.

2. More space and air could be perceived around each of the instruments, and/or vocalists allowing complex musical passages to better shine through.

3. Transients and decays. The beginning of notes or the striking of a chord on an instrument was more apparent, and with an increased amount of "attack". I became much more aware of the nuances of the decay of notes, and hearing that decay seemingly go on for much longer than I had previously noticed.

4. Coherence/imaging - it became much easier to localize and place where certain instruments were coming from in the presentation, and any delicate shift or movement within the sound-stage was more evident.

5. A "blacker" sonic background. Little details in the recording that I had previously missed became more apparent.

These results have been so awe inspiring that I am now wondering whether I should purchase 2 more Flux 50 NCF's and try installing them between each of my Mcintosh 2301 monobloc amplifiers to see what happens...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flux.jpg (88.6 KB, 645 views)
File Type: jpg Flux1.jpg (87.7 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg Flux2.jpg (82.2 KB, 667 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 01-23-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: enlarge photos
Old 01-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Andrew.......You wrote a nice review. The Furutech Flux 50 power line filter is an astonishing product. My experience with two of them parallels your findings. For me, it was like flipping on a 3D switch when the Flux 50's were installed. One on each of your MC2301's should elevate your system performance even more.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-24-2018, 08:27 AM

I agree. It's quite impressive to see what these devices can do. I have 4 in my rig!
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 PM

I realize this thread is from a few months ago, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on using the Flux 50 NCF in the following application:

For starters, I currently have one Flux 50 NCF between my Furman Reference 15 (one of the symmetrically balanced outlets) and my Audio Sensibility power distributor, which feeds my sources, plasma, and surround controller.

I should be receiving a second Flux 50 NCF this week, and one place I'm planning to try it is on the Furman's IEC.

So that means that the components getting the symmetrically balanced current from the Furman will be "seeing" two Flux 50s in their path: one on the Furman's input and one on the Furman's symmetrically balanced output.

I realize there's no real substitute for seeing how it actually works out in my own system, room, etc., but I'm wondering if there's any obvious (or at least plausible) downside to using two Flux 50 filters in series like this? (Could it result in filtration overkill? Or would it merely be redundant, and not detrimental, for those components already on the first Flux 50 NCF, while benefiting the amps? Observation 4 below provides a bit of specific context for this question.)

Some background observations, in case they're of interest:

1. Even without the Flux 50 NCF, plugging components into the Audio Sensibility is much better than plugging them directly into the Furman's outlets. This was true as well with my old Oyaide MTB4 power strip, but the AS Statement SE is a big step up from the (very respectable) Oyaide.

2. Not surprisingly, adding the Flux 50 NCF between the Furman and the AS distributor provided a huge boost for sound and picture. Previously, my old F-tech Flow 28 filter worked well between the Furman and the Oyaide, but there was a marked improvement when I replaced the Flow 28 with the Flux 50 in that setup. (I wonder to what extent that's due to the narrower conductors on the Flow 28, which, unlike the Flux 50, are narrower than my PCs' conductors.)

3. I first tried out the Flow 28 on the IEC of my older Furman 15PFI. That worked well for sources and controller, but I quickly noticed that it killed the bass from my amp...again possible due to the Flow 28's narrower wire compared to my PCs'. So that's how I got the idea of using the Flow 28 and Oyaide to daisy chain sources, plasma, etc. from the Furman.

4. Using PS Audio Noise Harvesters, I noticed a while back that just powering the Furman on (I normally leave it on all the time) reduces the noise elsewhere on the line, not just via the Furman's outlets. But with the components downstream of the Flux 50, a Noise Harvester doesn't blink at all, even when Noise Harvesters plugged into the Furman's A/V (LiFT) outlets are blinking a little. So the Flux 50 is clearly removing a lot of noise!

Finally, FWIW, I have a High Fidelity MC-0.5 in the second symmetrical AC outlet, where it adds some extra liveliness to the daisy-chained components. And the Furman is a completely different beast with the topline Rollerblocks. And the Furman has an FI-09 NCF machined in plus a bunch of added internal EMI/RFI shielding, resulting in much better grip and depth than the stock unit, though I wouldn't call the difference night and day.)

Ok, I realize this got longwinded, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts besides, "Let it rip and see what happens." Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:32 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Tylester... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Tylester.......Great first post. Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Piling on to another trail in the audio journey (I’m getting postcards in the gift shop now). Sometimes repetition helps one learn, it does for me, so here goes:

I’ve been wondering why my system seemed more engaging at some times than others. Usually late night. I had chalked it up to not wanting to face the work week, warm up from the system being on all day/weekend, warm up of myself rested and disengaged from work. I’d read about power but-- could that make a big difference? I don’t have the setup some of our friends here do that can take advantage of fine adjustments. Well serendipity struck. The system sounded more engaging the other weekend all the time. I realized while walking the dog that the duplex next door had moved out (all dark) and the neighbors on the other side were away on vacation (all dark). Hmmm, same transformer. Its usually daytime/early evening that it isn’t as engaging. With them gone it sounds better daytime and early evening. Next week Dan posts about getting the PS Audio P10 regnerator, so I go researching the forum. At this same time Greg offered the opportunity to explore power cords on the market place. Color me skeptical, but folks here are saying this Furutech cable does stuff, and they’ve got a really good track record, so why not give one a try? Just one, I could always sell it. I don’t want there to be much difference, I can’t afford fufu power cables and it really seems silly.

The test: macmini/audirvana->gumby->c2600->mc452->xr100. Mc452, c2600, gumby on a dedicated 20amp. Macmini on a different dedicated 20amp through a panamax conditioner. Older dense neighborhood in a metro. Furutech Flux-50 NCF tested on the mc452. Music via Tidal, Fleetwood Mac Rumours MQA/1987. Listened one night after warmup, sampling album on stock cable, then sampling album with Flux-50 and ended up listening to the whole thing way past bedtime not sampling. Waited for the weekend. Then the whole album with Flux-50, then stock cable, then back on Flux-50. Then all afternoon. I know the album well again and have my fill of it for a while.

Summary: I hope no one takes my STEM card away… The mc452 on the Flux-50 is noticeably different. Not as big a difference as a new amp. Like the later focal lenses in an eye exam (5 or 6, 7 or 8). I don’t understand how a power cable could do this for a quality amp (transformers and capacitors obviate all that—right?). Of course everyone’s system and power situation is different (I’d recommend room treatment for more bang). I also tried it on a MC275 in a different room to lesser impact but still impact.

Subjectively: the stage got bigger. Singers and instruments moved further apart allowing more details of them individually (just like Lindsey and Stevie were doing at the time). I could hear backing vocals more clearly. More layering. In Never Going Back Again, guitars moved further left and right—plucks higher pitched and more decay; Lindsey sounds airier. Go your own way, its more clear there are differently tuned electric guitars floating around that sound sweeter instead of one – obvious now that I hear it this way but never noticed it before (I often don’t like that overloaded guitar amp sound but do with this treatment), and I guess I heard the maracas before but they seem more real now, drums have more strike smell. The Chain, that wonderful bass at 3:10. Gold Dust Women, more echo in Stevie’s voice, more electric guitar twang, more space/dimensionality, is that sitar? Now. The lower mid seems a little leaner—not sure if that is the singer/instruments no longer being bunched in the center, or the cable doing something else to performance of the amp. The bass seems the same and a little tighter. It sounds different and I’m adjusting for sure. That silk is just a little worn and fuzzier without the Flux-50.

Objectively: Sorry, I don't think there is anything objective. I tried to take some measurements (see image), but not sure it means anything other than difference in calibration between the two sets. Perhaps y'all can tell me.

Thank you to everyone here who talked about all these issues, options, and reviews. This is a great forum. Oh, and if you thought you’d go buy Greg’s other two used ones, “Thpttttt!”, he only has the new one left now.

Placebo? Maybe. Let me quote Star Trek, The Cage. “She has an illusion, and you have reality. May you find your way as pleasant.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stock v furutech 20180623.jpg (25.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM

I too wish that the Furutech Flux 50 NCF filters did little to nothing.

Unfortunately, some 85 Flux 50’s later they are on every single component I own.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-23-2018, 08:30 PM

BTW... if there is enough interest, I could put together a Special Group Buy for these.
CAPE COD

Old 11-30-2018, 06:17 PM

So I just ordered one Furutech Flux 50 NCF filter from our fearless leader. Really looking forward to what it can do in my system.

Just to play devils advocate here but what about those power conditioners that some of us pay thousands of dollars for. Aren’t they supposed to take the dirty electricity and make it all better?

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.