AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Vintage Audio

Vintage Audio Classic never goes out of Style

Old 03-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Retired

Default Tuners

As a long-term 'tunerphile' (about 2/3's of my listening is to broadcast FM - am fortunate to be within listening distance to a couple of excellent stations), I have three refurbished TOTL tuners from the early '80's. All have been recapped and aligned by a 'known good' tuner tech (they are far and few between). The Sony ST-J75 is the quietest (a very black background), the Yamaha T-85 is the DX machine and the Accuphase T-106 provides the best SQ to my ears. Just put a fresh set of meter bulbs in the T-106 and rotated it back into the system and have to say, it provides superb sound. Was thinking I would sell any two of the three if someone is looking for a great tuner at a reasonable price. But, that would be a mistake on my part. I'll be keeping the T-106 unless I happen across a reasonably priced T-107 in black (about half the height of the T-106 and I'm trying to downsize) or an affordable T-1100. Accuphase has done an amazing job with their DSP based tuners (of which the T-106 was the 2nd generation). Can't imagine spending money on anything else (I've probably owned 50 tuners over the past 40yr).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-05-2019, 04:51 PM

In dab soaked london, I can only wonder.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Retired

That is too bad. Learn so much new music from the excellent DJs (an archaic term these days). This morning, Jan Lisiecki played Mendelssohn in a live broadcast from the WRTI performance studio and yesterday it was Eugene Albulescu playing Scarlatti, Beethoven and Rachmaninoff with interviews by Kevin Gordon and Susan Lewis, two very knowledgeable DJs. The studio has a revered Steinway, so the sound is good.

Anyway, here is a pic of my T-106. It is considerably nicer than my poor photog skills show (those pesky reflections).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-106.jpg (139.6 KB, 106 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-05-2019, 06:27 PM

Wow, I never knew Accuphase made black components!
That's a nice looking tuner.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 03-05-2019, 08:44 PM
Retired

Thanks. (though can take credit for doing nothing more than owning). Believe the T-107 is from the last series where black was available. Accuphase went to the 'champagne'(?) finish after that, which must have been around 1990 and continues to this day.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:06 AM

I've read so much about the Yamaha that even though I'm already happy w/what I own today, if I ever come across a serviced unit I'd scoop it up and see what it's all about. It looks beautiful as well.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Omg -if you ever want to sell that black accuphase, please let me know. Too sweet.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Retired

Now that it has been mentioned, I've not run across another black T-106 or T-107 in quite some while. 10yr, maybe? Guess they are pretty rare. I found this one on the internet (A-gon) from a local (Trenton) seller. He had several high-end tuners listed and when I inquired about one he told me about the rest, including this one, which was not one of the ones he had listed. Was a lucky find.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I've read so much about the Yamaha that even though I'm already happy w/what I own today, if I ever come across a serviced unit I'd scoop it up and see what it's all about. It looks beautiful as well.
Here's a poor pic of my Yamaha T-85 with another TOTL tuner, the Sony ST-J75 (their first digital tuner effort).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4670.JPG (379.2 KB, 67 views)