AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 11-26-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
A major move is coming tomorrow. I've taken the plunge on a Sony A9G 65" OLED, and it's scheduled to be delivered and set up tomorrow. Today, I plan to work on getting the apartment ready for its arrival. Since the A9G is the same width as my Kuro with its speakers attached, it fits the space, so no worries there.

Four factors made this happen: 1) Sony lowered the price; 2) Bank of America offered me a deal allowing me to do a balance transfer and pay over time with no interest; 3) I won't be traveling for Christmas, so that's money I won't spend; 4) the store I'm buying from has a program which donates TVs to families in their area who can't afford to buy one. If I had room I'd have kept the Kuro, but this way someone will be getting a very good TV.

I've also got a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 in house, haven't set it up yet. I'd think it will be an improvement since it's omnidirectional. We'll see.
Enjoy! Really nice that someone is getting a great tv.
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 11-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkoz View Post
Enjoy! Really nice that someone is getting a great tv.
Ed
Thanks. It'll take getting used to, just as the 50" Kuro did when I first got it. The Sony came yesterday and was a bit overwhelming and I got headaches after a bit of watching, almost to the point of nausea. If it's anything like my experience with the Kuro the negative effects will fade as I get used to the TV.

I am trying to determine the best way to connect my Pioneer Elite DVL-91 laserdisc player to the TV. Right now I have an s-video cable going to a DVDO VP which goes to the TV. There is a composite input on the Sony, but it's for a mini-jack; my regular composite cable didn't sit well in the connection and so I think the TV didn't see it for that reason.

I could leave the s-video/DVDO setup in place, or get a composite-to-HDMI adapter, but if I get the adapter I'd then have 4 devices to connect since the Sony has only 3 HDMI inputs (not counting the e/ARC one), and would need to use the DVDO anyway, or get an HDMI hub. Is there a composite-to-mini jack adapter out there, or a composite-to-mini jack cable? I'd wanted to remove the DVDO from the setup, but maybe that isn't the way to go.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 12-18-2020, 08:16 AM
Semi-audiophile

UPDATE: I've configured the new Sony and the picture, even with non-4K material, is really good. I have my cable box, two BD players, and my LD player going to the HDMI inputs on the Sony. The LD goes to my DVDO, which goes to the Sony.

I've seen reports on another forum about audio dropouts with the Sony, and I'm experiencing that now, too. But sometimes there is a slight pixelation of the video when that happens, so I don't know if this is a cable feed/box issue or the TV. I have one BD player's audio and video going to the Sony, so I'll try that out and see what happens.

On another note, a Furman IT-Reference 15i is on the way, with delivery scheduled for tomorrow. It will be a perfect visual compliment for the SPR-20i I have already. It was an open box item, so I got a really good price. It replaces a Furman Elite-15PFi; not sure what to do with that yet.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-20-2021, 04:45 PM
Semi-audiophile

Default I need to stop!

I got it into my head to explore one more system change. This coming Tuesday I have an appointment to audition Transparent Plus speaker cable, and I'll be taking a pair of my Kimber 12TC in so we can do a direct comparison. I'll take some of my "audition" CDs and see what happens.

Part of this is I'm having a very good friend over in October and I'm trying to get the place in order for her visit, and I want the system to be the best it can be, as this is to be a "music night." The other piece is sheer curiosity as to whether the Transparent makes a difference. The Plus cable is 10 gauge, the 12TC is 8; but the Plus has a network module, and maybe that offsets the 12TC's gauge advantage. We'll see.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:01 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quick follow-up to the above. I went to the dealer yesterday, and listened to the Plus speaker cable. The source was a DCs streamer with a Rega (I think) CD transport. It was connected to a Mac tube integrated by Transparent Super IC. Speakers were Sonus faber, which lean to the warm side.

The Plus cable and the Kimber 12TC were pretty much neck and neck. The Plus was a bit smoother on top, which made enough of a difference for me to order it. This is consistent with previous experiences listening to Plus ICs versus Kimber Hero at home; the only real difference was the Plus being a bit smoother on top. The order is for a 6-ft, bi-wire pair. Due to demand it will be about a month before I get the Plus. I got a modest trade-in value on the 12TC, so that helps.

We tried a Super vs. Plus interconnect comparison, and other than a slight improvement in dynamics with the Super perhaps, the sound was the same.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Semi-audiophile

Got my modest Transparent Plus speaker cable on Saturday. It's hooked up and I'm trying to give them some hours. Using the tuner for that, mostly; only about 4 hours so far. We'll see how much the sound changes over time. I'm giving up 2 AWG by moving to these (the Kimber 12TC was 8 AWG; Plus is 10 AWG) so I hope to hear something that persuades me this wasn't just a lateral move. In the store they did sound a bit smoother than the Kimber, but that was with a warm speaker and different electronics than I have.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:01 AM
Semi-audiophile

I am thinking my "curiosity" may be over. After the speaker cable, two Shunyata Venom V10 NR power cords came in (courtesy of MasterLu), which I replaced Venom HCs with. Not thinking about tracking the source of any changes in sound, I plugged them in and started playing music, mostly blu-rays, eventually some CDs.

Because I was using only the tuner with the Plus speaker cable, I have no idea to what extent the Plus or the V10 NRs are responsible individually for the improvements I hear. What I do know is that while playing familiar material improvements have emerged: decay of the tympani is more extended on "Fanfare for the Common Man;" instruments in general sound a bit more like themselves, while attack and decay overall, especially with acoustic instruments, is more noticeable; and I hear details here and there I hadn't before. So far, everything sounds better, and I'm not struck with any major urges to go after anything else. If I see something in TAS that would be within my range I don't think, "I wonder how that would work in my setup"? Interest in a MP100 has waned, as has the idea of replacing my Plus ICs with Super. I think I may be set, at least for the foreseeable future!