AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 09-10-2019, 10:53 PM

Default Anyone Running MC275 Monoblocks with SHL5s?

I am looking for opinions on anyone that has used an MC275 monoblock set up with SHL5s. I have been wanting more power for sometime, I have even considered the MC312 or MC462 to prepare for a speaker upgrade in the future. I am just not sure about how the change in amps will affect the overall sound.

My system make up is VPI Scoutmaster, DV XX-2, C2300, MC275 and Harbeth SHL5.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Merry Christmas to all

MarSanz.......Look for a clean pre-owned MC452. The C2300 and the MC452 are wonderful together. That will provide you with all the power you will ever need no matter what speaker you wish to drive.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 09-11-2019, 01:10 PM

I've just purchased a 275/vi to use with a pair of DeVore O/96 I have on order.
While I wait for the speakers, I am breaking it in by swapping out a pair of MC301s I have for sale and using it with a pair of Sonus Faber Elipsa and a C70.

I found the sound of the 301s and 275 to be very similar. The 301s seem to have a bit more controlled bass but that could just be the additional power on tap.

I only have experience with autoformer based MC amps, can't say how the other MC amps compare.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
MarSanz.......Look for a clean pre-owned MC452. The C2300 and the MC452 are wonderful together. That will provide you with all the power you will ever need no matter what speaker you wish to drive.
Is there much of a difference between the MC452/MC462 in terms of how they sound? Maybe I need to do an in home demo or take my C2300 to a dealer that sells both and do some listening.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarSanz View Post
I am looking for opinions on anyone that has used an MC275 monoblock set up with SHL5s. I have been wanting more power for sometime, I have even considered the MC312 or MC462 to prepare for a speaker upgrade in the future. I am just not sure about how the change in amps will affect the overall sound.

My system make up is VPI Scoutmaster, DV XX-2, C2300, MC275 and Harbeth SHL5.

Any opinions are welcome.

Thanks.
Yes I am running this combination, if more power is your goal I do not recommend it. The amps you mention would be a better choice and you may just end up keeping the Harbeth, I believe that you will not feel the need to upgrade the speakers unless you have a very large room. I’m very happy with my system but I don’t play at very high levels and I also run dual subwoofers.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Yes I am running this combination, if more power is your goal I do not recommend it. The amps you mention would be a better choice and you may just end up keeping the Harbeth, I believe that you will not feel the need to upgrade the speakers unless you have a very large room. I’m very happy with my system but I don’t play at very high levels and I also run dual subwoofers.
Thanks ATC2, the goal was to create more headroom, 95% of my listening is classic jazz and classical, if I really want to jam out I listen to my HT system. I think I will start looking for another MC275 MK IV.

Thanks!
Listening Room – MC2301s, C2300, VPI Prime Sig. Rosewood, w/Fatboy 10” Tonearm, SDS, Periphery Ring, Dynavector DRT XV-1s, Sutherland LittleLOCO Mk2, Harbeth SHL5, Skylan Stands, Synergistic Research: Record Clamp, PowerCell SX, Active Ground Block, Galileo Discovery PCs, Atmosphere X Euphoria ICs, Phono and Speaker Cables, GIK Impression Series Diffusers and Acoustimac DMD Panels, CA Double Matrix Pro Sonic RCM

Theater Room - 7.2.4, Marantz SR7012 & MM7025, Klipsch: RF-7 III, RP-450C, RP-160M, R-112SW Atmos: CDT 5800-CII, Sunfire True EQ Sub, Samsung 75” Q60R QLED 4K UHD TV, Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray, VPI Scoutmaster, Clearaudio Maestro, Cambridge Audio 640P, PS Audio PPP

Office - Fisher 500C, Denon DP-59L, Audio Technica AT14S Cartridge, Bluesound NODE, Acoustic Research AR-3a, Technics RS 1500

Vintage System - Pioneer SX 1980, Jolida JD100 CD, JBL Studio Monitors 4425

Semper Fidelis Teufel Hunden
Old 09-21-2019, 12:59 PM

I think you’ll be okay, that is one of the reasons I also acquired a second amp. Plus I’ve always wished to one day have a dual amp system now I’m glad I did. I believe you will also.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Default McIntosh + Harbeth 40.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I’m running MC501 monos and C48 preamp into recently purchased Harbeth 40.2s, (used) and the combo sounds awesome. The Harbeths replaced Wilson Sashas in my 2 channel system and so far I prefer the Harbeths. The Sasha’s are now being used in a separate home theater system.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:48 PM

Nice setup hdbc, with two 501’s has to sound “sweet”. Thanks for the comparison information, When I heard 40’s for the first time I remember thinking “this can easily be an end game speaker” My SHL’s have recently passed on to another lucky person and I miss them already. Not sure what the future will bring but Harbeth will definitely be on my radar. Probably the best sounding speaker I’ve owned.