AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Chinese High-End Audio

Chinese High-End Audio Doge, Eastern Electric, Jungson, Psvane, Yulong

Old 01-01-2022, 08:16 PM

Default Denafrips Terminator + DAC

I just received a new DAC to replace the Lumin X1 DAC/Streamer that I had used for the past several years.

The Denafrips Terminator + is proving to be a "Stradivarius" of a DAC with only a couple of hours on it providing a completely holographic soundstage from my modest system. As an aside, it is built like a tank coming in at pretty close to 20 Kg in it's "birthday suit" if that is of any value.

I'll come back after an appropriate break in period with any additional thought that I have.

Happy New Year folks!
Old 01-01-2022, 10:09 PM

Mine liked a better power cord.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
Mine liked a better power cord.
Usually the way it goes in this game.

OP. Congrats on the upgrade.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 01-05-2022, 12:02 PM

i just upgraded to a mac c1100 preamp and 462 amp. i play all vinyl but thinking of adding a streamer. need a DAC as well. was considering the lumen T2 as well as naim and bricasti. did you not like the lumin X1? there are so many options in this arena. thx.

ed
Mcintosh C1100 preamp, Mcintosh Mc462 amp, SF Amati Tradition, VPI prime 21, koetsu rosewood sig, oppo 105, marantz 8802A, sony projector, stewart screen, thiel in wall and ceiling, REL sub, Outlaw surround amps, shunyata 6000 v2, shunyata sigma V2 NR(X2), shunyata sigma V2 HC for denali, transparent ultra gen5 speaker and IC's, ultra gen 6 phono, MIT oracle matrix 50.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentlfly View Post
i just upgraded to a mac c1100 preamp and 462 amp. i play all vinyl but thinking of adding a streamer. need a DAC as well. was considering the lumen T2 as well as naim and bricasti. did you not like the lumin X1? there are so many options in this arena. thx.

ed
I have a Lumin U1 connected to a Bryston BDA3 DAC, playing through a PrimaLuna EVO 400 and McIntosh MC 462. I’m very happy with the overall soundscape. I would recommend buying a streamer with the option of adding on an outboard DAC.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentlfly View Post

ed
I liked the X1. It was brilliant! It was simply time to try something else. I just added the GAIA DDC to the front end of the T+ and am getting ready to do some critical listening in a day or so. So I go from the HTPC's USB to the GAIA and via I2S to the T+ DAC and then via XLR analog out to the rest of the system.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcardave View Post
I have a Lumin U1 connected to a Bryston BDA3 DAC, playing through a PrimaLuna EVO 400 and McIntosh MC 462. I’m very happy with the overall soundscape. I would recommend buying a streamer with the option of adding on an outboard DAC.
I'm doing something similar, my U1 goes to the dac in my K01x via Nordost coax. Recently I tried the X1 and did not like it as well. The U1/K01x combo has much better soundstage and bass.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:43 AM

BlueSky have you done any critical listening yet?
I was about to buy the lumin x1 tom my rig but maybe its going to be a denafrips dac =)

My system Pc Jcat usb -> C2700 -> Mc452 -> Amatia tradition
Old 04-25-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_brio1 View Post
BlueSky have you done any critical listening yet?
I was about to buy the lumin x1 tom my rig but maybe its going to be a denafrips dac =)

My system Pc Jcat usb -> C2700 -> Mc452 -> Amatia tradition
I think either setup would be a winner. Yes, I have done some critical listening and, although I don't have the command of the English language that a true audiophile reviewer seems to need to write a good review, I like the new-found holographic soundstage that the Terminator + / GAIA DDC gives me. I call it voluptuous. Like comparing Jane Mansfield to Twiggy or Gwyneth Paltrow. Truly three dimensional and the old B&W N801s have never sounded finer nor has their disappearing act ever been so good.
Old 02-25-2023, 02:02 AM

If using Roon in the chain to your Terminator+, and like the Terminator’s over sampling mode, I suggest turning the DSP over sampling in Roon to its max rate also (Sample rate conversion: Max PCM rate).

Presuming your Roon core has the cpu (the M1 mini I use run 12-15 processing speed with this running — I’ve not loaded any convolutions yet).