AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Member System Forum

Member System Forum System Pictures and Descriptions

Old 09-10-2023, 03:33 PM

Let's recapulate since it was almost two years since I started tri-amping my speakers.
This is around the end of 2021

Last edited by Apexorca; 12-28-2023 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:10 PM

At this point I'v got some trouble.
I needed one more Nordost QB4 to the two QB8 HQ I already use.

These Krell blocks, 350mc, 450mcx and 400cx needs a lot of current. My fuses blew up all the time as soon I started to play a bit loud. Boring!!!.
I added two HiFi-graded powercords from the fusebox to Furutech Rhodium wall sockets my HiFi and with HiFi-fuses in the fusebox.

Now I could play with a lot of headroom.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:45 PM

As I have been a bit curious about streaming I bought a Bluesound Node to try this concept.
It's nice to explore music this way but I it was to far away from my MSBCD/DAC player to be able to enjoy it. Therefore I decided to really explore this part of digital music and compare it to CD.

I started with bluesound Node and tried many different stereamers, Auralic, DCS Bartok and musicservers all the way up to Innous Statement and Antipodes K50. One of the first very important thing I immediately discovered was the big importance of a really good switch. It was as important as the streamer. Therefor I bought Innous Phoenix NET that I thougt was one of the best. My take on this is that it's not any Idea to compare streaming without a very good switch.

All tests always compared to CD that was my goal to surpas.

Innous Phoenix NET

My goal was to reach my CD-quality of music reproduction. When Innous Statement was used I thougt that it was quite near and with Antiopdes K50 it was one step further. K50 was cleaner, faster and more open than Statement. It got the rhythm better.

So I chose Antipodes K50. It's a perfect musicserver and streamer for me.
It was nice to compare all this side by side to really se what difference it was.

At the same time I just had to se what has happened with the new DAC's from MSB.
Fore sure they ar better than my at least 10 years old MSB. I tried some and thought MSB premier DAC did what I wanted.

Cables are important and Nordost Valhalla 2 interconnects had to came here as well.

All this was actually a great uppgrade. Now I listen to digital music from K50 server and streaming in a way I never enjoyed digital music before. Now I can say that it's way past good enough. Never thougt so before.
I listen to a much bigger part of digital music than before.

dCs Bartok is not my kind of sound. A bit sterile and... and... and digital sounding. It does not give me the love from the music that I need an like a lot. Innous Statement and above all Antipodes K50 together with MSB does that much better. (Due to my taste, this is not the truth... only my taste and i my room with my system)

I ripped allmost all of my 4000 CD into the Antipodes K50. Works as easy as a walk in the park. Roon is a fundamental part of it all. It works really well.

The Antipodes Ripper...

Due to my taste of reproduced digital music, this is good.

This big test needed help from a handfull of friends and it took a month or two. It was very interesting and I learned a lot.

Last edited by Apexorca; 11-20-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:11 PM

The streaming/musicserver/DAC - test took place in the beginning of 2022.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:35 PM

Prior to this I have for a longer time thought and heard in other systems that I could get more out of my Brinkmann Balance with a Lyra Atlas Lambda pickup. There are a lot of good pickups out there. The air, control, speed and dynamics that Atlas Lambda provide is perfect in my system. It took a while to get it after i ordered it but it was worth waiting for. It was during this wait I went through the massive digital/streaming server test.
One ofe the idea and goal with that was to be able to like the digital sound better so that I don't have to run the nice Lyra Atlas Lambda all the time. I wanted it to last longer an don't use it when I cook and listen not so focused. The digital test succeeded both in that perspective and raised the sound to my liking over all. Is that not a win win situation?

The old one... Brinkmann EMT-ti

The new Lyra Atlas Lambda

I was quite thorough with all the settings. I took pictures during playing a record on the stylus to get it in the right and optimal position. And the ears made the verdict.

Suddenly thougt of this pic i took with my iPhone in Val Gadena in The Dolemites.

Some more just because I started to long for skiing again.

Last edited by Apexorca; 09-12-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:31 PM

Hi Carl, it's great to have my ole buddy back on AA. Folks that don't know you are in for a treat. Have you noticed my new MC 3500's Best tube amps made in the world today. My XVX woofers are in love with my 3500's. Also my new hobby which is roller skating. I'll be placing my 3500's on Wilson Pedestals soon.

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes

Last edited by Charles; 09-11-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 03:41 PM

One comment on the settings for a pickup. It's good to look at it when it's playing a record. Due to varying forces when it's playing the position changes and is not the same as when no forces from the vinyl is effecting the stylus, cantilever and suspension. How it sounds is whats important but to get it right due to geometry first is a very good help.

To clean the stylus is good for sound an pictures.

Old 09-11-2023, 03:56 PM

So during the spring 2022 I'v got both my vinyl and digital setup a quite substantial upgrade.
The start was that the digital setup got closer (but not that close) to my vinyl setup. After the upgrade with Lyra Atlas Lambda the margin was bigger than before. Everyting is better but as a fairly clever guy said: "Everything is relative"

The (silver) MSB Dac (up right) in this picture is the one I tested. My own is black.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:09 PM

When the dust has settled it was time to think about were I could help the signal to be even better.
As I had experienced before the signal grounding is an important thing. Therefore used QKore to both Antipodes K50 and MSB Premier., This was good. But after a while I thought about what would happen if Innous Phoenix NET Switch could get o ground cable as well. Nordost had one with CAT connection. I bought one and this was a hit. The switch signal just love to be grounded...

I bought the best ground cable Premium from Nordost. It's black.

Last edited by Apexorca; 09-11-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:33 PM

Ground cables can imply a problem with hum or noise. Also, how are your Krells performing?

Best

Charles

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII (2); McIntosh MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1); Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables; balanced IC (preamp to main amps); WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/MCD12000; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes