AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 06-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I like both. Obviously Hahn is the "one to beat" according to reviews, accolades, audio magazines, etc, but I really like this Fischer recording. I especially like her music selections and The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

If you didn't look when you ordered the disc, look at the little video on the Amazon page you went to. . Amazon.com: Bach: Violin Concertos: JS Bach, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Julia Fischer: Music - Scroll down to "Check Out Related Media"

She is quite a lady, and the video is interesting.

I just ordered this as well, she plays with such precision combined with passion. Looking forward to it's arrival. Thanks for the recommendation!
Regards,
Jim
Old 06-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Life is beautiful

Anne Galowich with Jos Van Immerseel and Anima Eterna play
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
Hugo Distler
Johann Sebastian Bach

For lovers of the harpsichord!
Brilliant performance, excellent sonics.
I have seen this orchestra a couple of times. Always good.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Anne Galowich with Jos Van Immerseel and Anima Eterna play
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach
Hugo Distler
Johann Sebastian Bach

For lovers of the harpsichord!
Brilliant performance, excellent sonics.
I have seen this orchestra a couple of times. Always good.

Yo Bart, you're really into these Turtle Records aren't you? I've got this one and it is good, even for an avowed harpsichord hater.

All of the Turtle records I've heard are really special!

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 PM

Listening to . . . Mozart Symphonies 29, 31 (Paris), 32, 35 (Haffner) & 36 (Linz)

A Linn SACD

Scottish Chamber Orchestra - Sir Charles Mackerras, Conductor

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 06-12-2011, 12:47 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Ahhh...I've got that Linn SACD as well Julian: superb.

Handel's Alessandro for me today - as a special treat I have time for all the 3 CD's. Long weekend in Australia this weekend: Queens Birthday. We celebrate our colonial past by having a day off in honour of Her Majesty the Queen's birthday. Of course her birthday is April 21, but for historical reasons we celebrate it on the second Monday in June. It has been celebrated since 1788 here.

The recording I am listening to is this one:

Kuijken & Petite Bande. Marvelous recording. How I like my Handel. Sophie Boulin is wonderful - actually they all are.

Recommended.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 06-12-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Andy - thanks for the recommendation and Happy Birthday to the Queen - even two months late.

I'm not familiar with Alessndro, or many other Handel operas either, although Handel is one of my favorite composers, and sad to say, I think I've only listened to Serce and Giulio Cesare.

He wrote a lot of operas - What else wonderful have I missed?

List of operas by Handel

Acis and Galatea (Handel)
Admeto
Agrippina (opera)
Alceste (Handel)
Alcina
Alessandro (opera)
Alessandro Severo
Almira
Amadigi di Gaula
Arianna in Creta
Ariodante
Arminio
Atalanta (opera)
Berenice (opera)
Deidamia (opera)
Ezio (opera)
Faramondo
Flavio
Floridante
Florindo
Giove in Argo
Giulio Cesare
Giustino
Hercules (Handel)
Imeneo
Lotario
Muzio Scevola
Oreste
Orlando (opera)
Ottone
Partenope
Il pastor fido (Handel)
Poro (opera)
Radamisto (Handel)
Riccardo Primo
Rinaldo (opera)
Rodelinda (opera)
Rodrigo (opera)
Scipione
Semele (Handel)
Serse
Silla (opera)
Siroe
Sosarme
Tamerlano
Teseo
Theodora (Handel)
Tolomeo

Old 06-12-2011, 06:50 PM

Gosh - that is ALOT of opera's. I knew he has prodigious output but nothing like that. I be sure to delve a little deeper. Many thanks Julian.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 06-12-2011, 10:25 PM

This sure as heck isn't classical, It isn't jazz, It isn't pop, but it is THE record that introduced many people of my generation to the tunes we later learned were classical mainstays. Recorded in 1958, it sold many millions of copies of the LP and now the CD (Which is available from Amazon, as are used copies of the LP.)

I really think it was this record that gave me a reason to like classical music.

I guess I bought the LP in about 1960, I've been playing it off and on for over 50 years, and still think it is wonderful.

Starting with the Favorite Theme from Tchaikovsky's First Piano Concerto. . .

I'm Listening To. . . .The Original LP of - Ray Conniff, his Orchestra and Chorus

Concert in Rythm

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
This sure as heck isn't classical, It isn't jazz, It isn't pop, but it is THE record that introduced many people of my generation to the tunes we later learned were classical mainstays. Recorded in 1958, it sold many millions of copies of the LP and now the CD (Which is available from Amazon, as are used copies of the LP.)

I really think it was this record that gave me a reason to like classical music.
I got my start with Andre Kostelanetz.
Random Classics: Andre Kostelanetz conducts Opera without Words
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 AM

Just popping in CD2. Lovely through my 2905's. For fun hooked up my 2A3 SET. Surprisingly good. Well for 2.5 wpc. Ha ha - all good fun. Dynamics aren't there but oh what wonderful tone: probably manage @80db. Well, with a tail wind. More like 70- 75...ha ha.

Is the Athalia on the list Julian: couldn't see it. Mind you strictly it is an oratorio. Hunt yourself down a copy of the Alessandro - its a cracker: the one I posted is superb.

So is this 2010 Athalia. Paul Goodwin does a fabulous job. The cast is:

Athalia - Geraldine McGreevy
Josabeth – Nuria Rial
Joad – Lawrence Zazzo
Joas – Aaron Machler
Mathan – Charles Daniels
Abner – David Wilson-Johnson
Joad 2 – Clemens Heidrich
Daniel Moult – orgel
Vocalconsort Berlin
Kammerorchester Basel
Leiter - Paul Goodwin

And for sure everyone would have heard these tracks:
28. 1735/VI. Orgelkonzert: I. Allegro
29. II. Andante
30. III. Adagio
31. IV. Allegro

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 06-13-2011 at 02:06 AM.