AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Sports

Sports Place for all to discuss different sports

Old 12-09-2015, 04:24 PM

Default 1st Cricket Test: NZ v Sri Lanka starts today

Should be an interesting day with the Test being played at University Oval in Dunedin. Pitch looks green & the ball should swing around a bit.

Sri Lankas line-up looks raw, but could be dangerous.

Preview of the game here: NZ ready to pounce on visitors in transition | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Follow the game here: 1st Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Dunedin, Dec 10-14, 2015 | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Looking forward to relaxing on the couch with a Gibbstone Valley 2012 Pinot Noir (Heavenly) Gibbston Valley :: Pinot Noir
watching the 5 day test- yeah right- wife has me booked to shovel 2 cubic metres of garden soil for her ever expanding sub-tropical garden- so Ill have to have the radio on & follow the commentary whilst Im digging- sigh.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Retired

What are they testing for?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-09-2015, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the tip on Gibbstone Valley Pinot will have to track it down. My favourite Kiwi Pinots are Felton Road Banockburn, Block 3 and Block 5. Also discovered Rockburn Pinot Noir (Central Otago) this year - fantastic drinking at about A$37.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
Should be an interesting day with the Test being played at University Oval in Dunedin. Pitch looks green & the ball should swing around a bit.

Sri Lankas line-up looks raw, but could be dangerous.

Preview of the game here: NZ ready to pounce on visitors in transition | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Follow the game here: 1st Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Dunedin, Dec 10-14, 2015 | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Looking forward to relaxing on the couch with a Gibbstone Valley 2012 Pinot Noir (Heavenly) Gibbston Valley :: Pinot Noir
watching the 5 day test- yeah right- wife has me booked to shovel 2 cubic metres of garden soil for her ever expanding sub-tropical garden- so Ill have to have the radio on & follow the commentary whilst Im digging- sigh.

This side of the pond it's day 1 of the Ist Test Vs West Indies, in Hobart.

Given the lop sided nature of the contest there will probably be more interest in the local Freycinet Pinot than the cricket on the field, and more so tomorrow with snow forecast on the local hills in the afternoon.

Not that Aussies are big on the Pinot's though. Beer is more the drink of preference at the cricket, but 9/10 wine buffs will choose a Cab Sav or Shiraz from Margaret River in WA or Barossa, Coonawarra, or Clare, in SA.

I'm still drinking BVE Estate wines from the 90's. This 96 uncorked last night is now in its absolute prime, and is close to the best red I've ever had, period. Stored since release in a 16 degrees C climate controlled cellar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bve96.JPG (35.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smp View Post
Thanks for the tip on Gibbstone Valley Pinot will have to track it down. My favourite Kiwi Pinots are Felton Road Banockburn, Block 3 and Block 5. Also discovered Rockburn Pinot Noir (Central Otago) this year - fantastic drinking at about A$37.
You have very good taste in Felton Road and Rockburn.
I haven't found the Gibbston valley to be anywhere near as good as the wines you mention.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under View Post
You have very good taste in Felton Road and Rockburn.
I haven't found the Gibbston valley to be anywhere near as good as the wines you mention.
Gibbstone Valley quality is not consistent I agree. 2012 was a great drop, unfortunately, 2014 wasn't. The Bannock Burn region in the South Island can produce stunning Pinots.

I normally drink Pinots in summer, & drink Aussie Shiraz & Cabs in the winter. Penfolds Bin 389 is my all-time favourite wine- getting expensive at $80nz a bottle, but can be picked up for $60 occasionally.

My general rule of thumb is : New Zealand Sauvignon blanc- Marlborough Region only(which my wife drinks), Napa Valley Chardonnays, Champagne, ANZAC Method Traditionals, I'm a big fan of Proseccos', Aussie Shiraz & Cabs, Japanese & Scottish Whiskeys, high quality Tequila's.

I used to be a big beer drinker, but find that I get bloated & put on weight very quickly, so just have the odd craft beer (Black Sands IPA being a favourite) after mowing the lawn.

Plently of asprin on hand
Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM

As expected, the Windies crumbled, losing by an innings and 200+ runs in 2.5 days of cricket.

Hobart is a tough place for a visiting team, particularly if they lose the toss, but this West Indies team looks to be very under-prepared.
I can't see many people turning up for the boxing day test in Melbourne based on what we just saw.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:10 AM

I used to be a big beer drinker, but find that I get bloated & put on weight very quickly, so just have the odd craft beer (Black Sands IPA being a favourite) after mowing the lawn.

Plently of asprin on hand.
I completeley agree!
Old 12-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Should be an exciting day today. The 5th Day, & we need 7 wickets- looks like the pitch is flatting out so we will need to bowl well.

The West Indies are a mess- why didn't they have the early tour & NZ the later- I'm sure we would have attracted near record crowds on Boxing Day.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:05 PM

A win for the Black Caps. Looking forward to when Australia comes over to this side of the ditch- pity its for only 2 Tests- I think we will give them a run for their money in February!!