AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Japanese Turntables

I have a technic SL1200 MK5 with a AT440MLA cartridge at the moment. I realized it is a budget turntable but for the amount of listening time compared to my MCD500 it has been fine up until now. I started doing more serious listening to albums and realize that sitting under my nose has been some great sounding material. I was wondering what were the most impressive differences I should notice upgrading from the SL1200 ? In other words if I used the same cartridge on a $2500 turntable would the differences be profound or do I need a much higher end cartridge to hear the difference ? I am asking on this forum because there are not too many places near me to audition turntables.

Last edited by 1KW; 04-18-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:12 AM

My answer involves some guessing, but I would think you can get a lot more bang for the buck if you put a few hundred dollars into tweaking the Technics. It is a respected table with many fans, though it doesn't have high end cache. RonC is a fan. There are mods through a company called KAB. This is an informative thread:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...=SL1200+MK5&r=

Turntables respond dramatically to setup and tweaking. I have a Technics SP10 which some described as having a clinical sound. I learned that it all depends on the set up. It has rock solid speed stability. When I experimented with mats, and platforms it warmed up to my taste beautifully. I cannot see replacing it, though I don't doubt that it could be beat for thousands more.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 AM

I just noticed Alberto's post in the VPI thread. I think my taste is probably similar as far as warmth. Against standard advice on SP10 set up which says it likes to be rigid, I placed it on a homemade platform resting of raquet balls. (A DIY Cloud 9") The BBC did custom spring suspension platforms, which some audiophiles criticized. This worked nicely to voice it on the warmer side. Also I found that a shelf liner mat over a DIY sorbothane mat slightly increased bass. I posted pictures in the thread below.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the info. I have heard about some of the kab mods. You are lucky to find the SP10, too bad they don't make it anymore. You can put any tone arm you want with that, which arm and cart. are you using ?
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Found this info and link on wikipedia
http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/vinyl01.html
"The SL-1200 series was developed as a special project by Technics parent company Matsushita in an attempt to solve many of the problems related to the difficult task of turntable design. The task included minimizing acoustic feedback, unwanted resonances, wow & flutter and speed errors.
This was achieved by designing a remarkably heavy plinth made of a non-resonant composite sandwiched between a cast alloy top plate and a solid rubber base. In addition, the adjustable rubber damped feet ensure that the Technics SL-1200 series are well insulated against acoustic feedback, which can be a serious problem when operating a turntable in close proximity to PA loudspeakers (a common situation for DJ's).
The drive system designed by Matsushita is of the direct-drive variety rather than the more commonly found belt-drive type. This design was developed in order to virtually eliminate the problems of wow and flutter and produces a very quiet turntable which, for a direct drive turntable, has minimal motor and bearing noise, (although the bearing rumble does tend to become characteristic in well used turntables). The SL-1200 utilizes a Frequency Generator Servo Control Quartz Lock system that is claimed to produce the most accurate and consistent speed possible. The system is immune to static and dynamic stylus drag which would otherwise cause unwanted speed variances that change the pitch and tempo of the music. Due to these strengths the SL-1200 lends itself to Hi-Fi reproduction"
Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Thanks for the info. I have heard about some of the kab mods. You are lucky to find the SP10, too bad they don't make it anymore. You can put any tone arm you want with that, which arm and cart. are you using ?
I am using a Audio Technica ATP-12T which came with it. I have not tried other arms, but the consensus on the net is that it is a pretty good arm. I use a Grado Reference cartridge. Grado has a very sweet delicate mid-range. It makes female voice sound glorious. Some don't like Grado because they occasionally mis-track. I never found it much of a problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:58 PM

I think I might try the KAB silicone fluid tone arm damper, anyone have this ? It is supposed to help with warped records to prevent vertical mistracking , comments appreciated.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Some like ring clamps for warped records. I have never used one. This looks interesting: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....wek&1240883523
Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Formerly Gaucho1

David: i have the KABUSA with all the mods. PM mw with any questions.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 PM

The Technic SL1200 MKV and SL1210 turntables are going up in price. They are listed from $1000-$1200 now which is about double what they cost a year ago.