AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 04-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Record Cleaning Method

Since we did not have a thread on this, here it is. One of the problems with records is surface noise therefore having a nice clean source is important. I have to admit my old disk washer brush and solution is a bit limiting. Post what you are using to clean your records. I have seen fancy machines, wood glue used, basic dish washing soap and a vinyl brush, people putting records in the dishwasher with a plastic cover over the label. What works best for you ?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:22 AM

My method starts by wetting the record using a small handheld steam cleaner. The one I have is made by Perfection and sells for about $10 in Walgreen stores. The label is protected by covering it with a small ceramic bowl I found in the dollar store. It covers perfectly and makes a good place to hold pressure while scubbing. After the record is wet I apply Record Research Lab's Enzime Plus cleaner (now manufactured for Mobile Fidelity) and let it soak for a minute or two. The idea is that active enzimes eat away at biological material that builds up on the record surface (oils from fingers, etc). Next I scrub with a MFSL brush. The short bristles get deep in the grooves, the pad feels like velvet. Then shoot it with a rich batch of steam, wiping the record clean with a micro fiber cloth, and a final rinse of steam. Flip and repeat.

The micro fiber cloths are cheap (12" x 16" and usually come three in a pack for a few dollars). I use R.O. (reverse osmosis) water from the pet store for less than a dollar a gallon (it's filtered water that is used in fresh water aquariums). The clean records are placed in a wire dish rack to dry. A batch of records takes me almost two hours because of the waiting while the enzime cleaner does its work.

Any cleaning method has drawbacks, but I definately don't feel the need right now for a vacuum cleaning machine.

Last edited by EdPowers; 04-18-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdPowers View Post
My method starts by wetting the record using a small handheld steam cleaner. The one I have is made by Perfection and sells for about $10 in Walgreen stores. The label is protected by covering it with a small ceramic bowl I found in the dollar store. It covers perfectly and makes a good place to hold pressure while scubbing. After the record is wet I apply Record Research Lab's Enzime Plus cleaner (now manufactured for Mobile Fidelity) and let it soak for a minute or two. The idea is that active enzimes eat away at biological material that builds up on the record surface (oils from fingers, etc). Next I scrub with a MFSL brush. The short bristles get deep in the grooves, the pad feels like velvet. Then shoot it with a rich batch of steam, wiping the record clean with a micro fiber cloth, and a final rinse of steam. Flip and repeat.

The micro fiber cloths are cheap (12" x 16" and usually come three in a pack for a few dollars). I use R.O. (reverse osmosis) water from the pet store for less than a dollar a gallon (it's filtered water that is used in fresh water aquariums). The clean records are placed in a wire dish rack to dry. A batch of records takes me almost two hours because of the waiting while the enzime cleaner does its work.

Any cleaning method has drawbacks, but I definately don't feel the need right now for a vacuum cleaning machine.
Thanks, How do you like your VPI scoutmaster ? I wish I knew more about record cleaning; last year I put a few hundred LP's I had saved for 30 years in the trash because of mold. Apparently keeping your LP's in plastic covers seals in moisture.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:43 AM

For record cleaning I only use a carbon fiber brush(AudioQuest). I let the stylus tip do the rest. Most record cleaning products do more harm than good.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
For record cleaning I only use a carbon fiber brush(AudioQuest). I let the stylus tip do the rest. Most record cleaning products do more harm than good.
I agree. However, I do have a VPI 16.5 machine. Its great, does its job especially on used vinyl. But man is that thing loud or what? On all my new vinyl I use my brush, clean the stylus and rock & roll
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 PM

I have the VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning machine. I use the supplied stiff brush and comercial cleaning fluid. (forget the brand)

I wash all old records as soon as I bring them home.

I sometimes give brand new vinyl a wash as I have read that it helps to remove residue left behind in the stamping process.

I am very careful with my records and don't really see the need to repeat the cleaning process, once they are clean, I just give them a quick brush off on the table, and a dab of "Style-Last" to the needle.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=two dot;5413]I have the VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning machine. I use the supplied stiff brush and comercial cleaning fluid. (forget the brand)

I wash all old records as soon as I bring them home.

I sometimes give brand new vinyl a wash as I have read that it helps to remove residue left behind in the stamping process.

I am very careful with my records and don't really see the need to repeat the cleaning process, once they are clean, I just give them a quick brush off on the table, and a dab of "Style-Last" to the needle.[/QUOTE

similar to the process I use. I always wash the old vinyl....the new, well, most times the Audioquest or Hunt brush is used with Last stylus cleaner and conditioner or Lyra cleaner. No need to make a big fuss over cleaning just enjoy whats in those grooves
Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uberoller View Post
Thanks, How do you like your VPI scoutmaster ? I wish I knew more about record cleaning; last year I put a few hundred LP's I had saved for 30 years in the trash because of mold. Apparently keeping your LP's in plastic covers seals in moisture.
Scoutmaster is a good sounding table and a solid value right out of the box, with lots of options to allow its performance to be tweaked further.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM

Location: Constitution State. Formerly known as the Nutmeg State

When you say you wash the used LP's what are you washing them with?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 PM

Used (or funky new):
Dawn, water, trim brush, pat dry.

New:
Audioquest Brush

Then:
Audioquest before play.
Magic Eraser between sides, just the pressure of the arm though.

I wish there was a place to rent a VPI washer (used to be one a local DJ store for just that). Those things are noisy, big and sometime leaky. Rent one for the weekend, clean them all, new sleeves then away it goes until the next batch accrues.

Last edited by EasyRiderNYC; 04-20-2009 at 10:58 PM.