AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jim...It is. But the review is still part of the Golden Ear Club (GEC) section of AVGuide.com and has not yet been released into the free part of the site. So if you are not a GEC member you will not be able to access the review for a little while longer. For those folks who receive Hifi+ or who buy it occassionally off the news stands, the review appeared in Issue 168. And I believe Roy Gregory did a follow-up in a subsequent issue, reporting on the use of certain tweaks/accessories with the table (like the ring clamp, HRX center weight, and the Synchronous Drive System (SDS) which is a motor speed controller and a power line isolator). I have not seen the follow up though.
I saw the article last evening about the accesories. It is in the current NA edition of Hi Fi +.

Jim
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Vpi

David,

I also recommend the VPI Classic. Everything I have heard and read about this table has been positive. I think the look is fab but thats a matter of personal taste. I can tell you that the JMW 10.5i arm is VERY good as I have recently upgraded my Scoutmaster with that arm and my TT has never sounded better. Harry Pearson did a mini-review of the Classic thru the phonostage C2300 and seemed very impressed. He also used a $6000 cart on the 10.5 so the arm can handle big boy carts if you ever go that direction.

By the way, I purchased Dave Matthews Band's latest offering on vinyl this week - partly based on your recommendation, from a post sometime last year. I agree with you. Very good mastering on this one by Ray Janos at Sterling. Thanks for the heads up

Jason

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
David,

I also recommend the VPI Classic. Everything I have heard and read about this table has been positive. I think the look is fab but thats a matter of personal taste. I can tell you that the JMW 10.5i arm is VERY good as I have recently upgraded my Scoutmaster with that arm and my TT has never sounded better. Harry Pearson did a mini-review of the Classic thru the phonostage C2300 and seemed very impressed. He also used a $6000 cart on the 10.5 so the arm can handle big boy carts if you ever go that direction.

By the way, I purchased Dave Matthews Band's latest offering on vinyl this week - partly based on your recommendation, from a post sometime last year. I agree with you. Very good mastering on this one by Ray Janos at Sterling. Thanks for the heads up

Jason
Thanks for everyone's comments on this thread. I have to say the picture that Chuck posted reminds me of a flying saucer and is very cool looking. The classic is also very nice as well. My next Hi Fi toy will likely be a upgrade to my analog set up. Since Serge helped me set up the JL F112 my Cremona's are sounding just fine to me so for now the bug to upgrade them is held at bay
Old 01-21-2010, 03:36 PM

I'm happy with the Rega, tweaked to the max and sounds great but the Classic VPI will be my next 'table for sure. I love the look and all the upgrades.

Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Listening to Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells , I need a better cartridge . My AT440MLA is not very impressive for this kind of rock. Not enough bass .

Last edited by 1KW; 01-21-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Tubular Bells... is an all time classic test of your TT
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Tubular Bells... is an all time classic test of your TT
I'm listening to the Doors now on vinyl, Riders on the Storm is another good test for your tt. Cleaned my stylus and the problem is fixed.

Last edited by 1KW; 01-21-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM

I have a Nott Spacedeck/Ace-Space combo that I have loved very much for years. However, the VPI Classic certainly looks like a formidable contender in that price range.

Shakey
Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 PM

Default VPI Classic

Been very happy with mine, outfitted with a Soundsmith Aida, medium compliance, run thru an AES PH1-DJH phono stage. however that Fosgate Signature stage is catching my attention.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Love Those Tunes

David,

My .02 worth, from reading your posts, I would focus on a cartridge update, before looking into a TT upgrade. I'm just a 'transducer' kinda guy, who thinks that money should be spent on transducers (speakers, cartridge) before anything else (more bang for the $). You may be at the stage where you a ready for a TT upgrade. If so, disregard the post.
Tandberg TD20A, Harmon Kardon HK 400xM
PPP, Power Port, WW Ag Eclipse IC's & Speaker Cables, WW Ag Electra PC's