AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 AM

Default Another Record Label to Issue Reel to Reel Tapes

OK, so here goes. Wanted to get the whole story before posting. Met this AM with Jan-Eric Persson, owner of Opus 3 records. We had met checking into the hotel where he told me Opus 3 was going to begin releasing some of their titles on reel to reel tape. The first three releases will be the most recent Eric Bibb recordings, among the companies best selling titles. These will, as opposed to the Tape Project releases, be directly copied from the master tape, instead of using a running master to dupe the recording. So the Opus 3 tapes will be one gen closer and as we know, generation is everything when it comes to tape! Bad news? They won't be cheap and will retail most likely thru Elusive Disc, at around $500/tape (similar tomThe Tape Project prices and no, there isn't a subscriber option, though that could happen down the road.

One other thing that found out about the Opus 3. Contrary to popular belief, Persson used a Telefunken M28 for his recordings, a machine that he (and many others hold in high esteem). Also just for the record, Persson basically used an AKG C24 (with the original brass capsule) in A Blumlein pattern for his recordings with the occassional use of an AKG 414 mike for touch up. Was fascinating meeting him and he is really passionate about music and recording!
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 AM

nice but wow big $$$s
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 AM

Tape ain't cheap
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:51 AM

Myles, thanks for the info. Do you know when they will be avaialable?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trponhunter View Post
Myles, thanks for the info. Do you know when they will be avaialable?
I expect in the next month or two.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM
Scottsmrnyc

Hey miles, what brand of blank r to r tape do you reccommend? I got my two Teac 3340s up and running and want to do some exploring? Hurt me knee? I'll be back in a week or so.
McIntosh-MC1.2KWs(4), MC501(1), MX135(2),MT10(2), MVP881BR(1),MEN220(2), Stax SRM007t(1), Stax SRM007ta(1),Stax SRA12S (2), Stax SRDXPro(3), Stax 4070(3), Stax Sigma Pros(2), Stax Sigma Non Pros (4), Headroom Balanced Max Loaded (1), Wadia Ipod Docking Station (3), Cerwin Vega D9s(4), Cerwin Vega CMX 212s (4), Adona Corporation Signature Component Stands (2), Adona Reference Amplifier Stands (4). Sony 70 Inch BR 1080p, AntiCable Speaker Cables (8), PS Audio PPP (2), PS Audio Power Cords(11), Teac 3340s(2), PS Audio Power Plant Premiers(2),Audio Research PH1(1), Sennheiser HD650(1), Sennheiser HD600 (1) Sennheiser HD580(1) Koss Pro4AA(1), Koss Quadraphones(4), Koss Phase2 (1) Koss 5Q(2), Headroom Micro Headphone Portable Amp(2)HP Pavilion Dv7, Ipad2, Tascam ATR 60, Tascam ATR 80.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc
Hey miles, what brand of blank r to r tape do you reccommend? I got my two Teac 3340s up and running and want to do some exploring? Hurt me knee? I'll be back in a week or so.
Most seem to like RMGI.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM

One of the problems I have found with many super high end recordings is while the recordings are expertly made, the performances aren't always so good and no one wants to listen to the program material.

Do you have any idea of the program material being offered?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
One of the problems I have found with many super high end recordings is while the recordings are expertly made, the performances aren't always so good and no one wants to listen to the program material.

Gary...Myles mentioned Eric Bibb in his initial post. I'm familiar with Eric, have seen him a few times in different settings: large and outdoors - the Philadelphia Folk Festival, and small and intimate - a club in San Francisco. Eric's music is blues-oriented, singer-songwriter (plays guitar), with a little bit of, well I don't know exactly the correct term - inspirational music as well. He wears great hats too! He's a very dynamic performer.

Not sure what other artists will be released.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post

”One” Open Reel Selection of Opus 3 Analogue Recordings

1. Here´s That Rainy Day (Jimmy van Heusen) 4´14 From: Joakim Milder: ”Consensus”, CD 9201

2. Teach Me Tonight (M. Gene de Paul) 3´53 From: Knud Jörgensen, ”Teach Me Tonight”, SACD 8421

3. Black Beauty (D. Ellington) 4´38 From ”A Selection from Tomas Örnberg´s BLUE FIVE & The Swedish Jazz Kings”, SACD 22101 / CD 8003*

4. Where The Green Grass Grows (Excerpt) (Eric Bibb) 3´54

5. Vaquero (Excerpt) (G. Wennerbrandt – O. Eriksson) 3´53 From: Tiny Island, SACD 19824

6. La Maja de Goya (E. Granados) Stockholm Guitar Quartet, ”A Selection from....”, SACD 22062 / CD 7810* 3´20

7. Nun komm der Heiden Heiland... (Excerpt) (J.S. Bach) The Erik Westberg Vocal Ensemble & Mattias Wager: Organ, From ”Musica Sacra”, SACD19516 3´02

8. Scherzo from Symphony No.2 in D Major (L.van Beethoven) 3´36

9. Overture to Carmen (G. Bizet) 2´16 From: The Omnibus Wind Ensemble, ”Best of Omnibus....” SACD 22082 / CD 19602*

Total time: 33´20

One 10,5” metall-Reel
Playback EQ: IEC/CCIR (35uS)
2-track, 38 cm/s (15”)

* Catalogue no. from the original album

One could quibble with the jazz tracks but all the others, esp. 4,5, 6, 7 and 8 are exceptional.