AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
I think your first consideration should be your expectations. Are you seeking convenience, or are you seeking improved cleaning? Rather than tell you what you should do, I'll just share my experience.

My history with record cleaning dates back to the original Keith Monks machine, which I discovered in the '70s. It was too pricey for me at the time, but a local high-end dealer had a demo and sold record cleaning coupons, so customers could clean their own LPs for a price. I relied on the KMAL machine until Nitty Gritty introduced its vacuum device, and I bought one of the early models. (As I recall, that was before VPI entered the record cleaning market.) I used the NG for decades, futzing with various cleaning solutions and and always finding the process annoying.

A few years ago I bought the Klaudio ultrasonic machine and my life changed forever. Its one-button LP cleaning process makes record cleaning so easy and simple that I cleaned more records in the first few months of owning it than I would do in years with the NG. I've kept the NG in the event I acquire some used LP that needs aggressive cleaning, but it's been years and that hasn't happened yet.

Some people have elevated LP cleaning to something of a "black art" and I have to wonder: What contamination is on their LPs that such extraordinary measures need to be taken? In my experience, one pass through the Klaudio removes whatever dust and contaminants are present. In fact, I'm convinced that many people have never heard a truly clean LP, and that ultrasonic is more effective than other means.

One reason the Klaudio works is that - like the AD and Degritter - it also dries the LP. DIY approaches that rely on air drying are much less effective - it's amazing how quickly dust will accumulate on an LP in even a fairly clean room.

The Klaudio is presently out of production, but some inventory remains. You might want to check with Ivan (which is where I bought mine) - Klaudio's website shows refurbished models available at a discount. If you seek convenience, something like the Klaudio, AD or Degritter are the way to go.
Thanks Cleeds...I wouldn’t mind the convenience if all things are equal but I don’t mind a little extra work if the results warrant it. I’m on the fence regarding the drying, I still have the VPI.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I have no experience w/the others, but if you can find a KLaudio, go for it! It does an amazing job and without the use of any kind of cleaning formula or parts to replace like sponges. I've used mine to clean some pretty nasty 78s and 45s and the results are outstanding. I'm sure the other USCs do good work as well, but I can only vouch for the one I own.
Thanks Maks but over my budget as well.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
There has always been contention over which out-of-the-box desktop RCM works best or is better. For a while there was the Audio Desk and KLaudio (KLA) machines, then Degritter came on the market. Another brand named Kirmus is also on the market, though in my own view it cannot be recommended.

Each of the units, including KLA has its pros and cons.

KLaudio - KLaudio machines sold well and were popular. Made in S.Korea, KLaudio did offer US based support. The company started adding some interesting tank solution filtration options and various add-ons, then unfortunately they went out of business.

The fundamental problem with the KLaudio machines is that using anything in solution besides water voided the machine's warranty. The company claimed it did not know how surfactants might damage machine internals. That is a function of machine design. Owners of KLA machines claim excellent results.

While water is a solvent, the bottom line is that using surfactants (soaps if you like) as part of a cleaning solution yields better results than water alone. There can substances on records such as fingerprint oil, greases, etc. that are not water soluable. Smashing cavitation generated vacuum bubbles against the side of a record alone can remove some residue and yield a cleaner record, however having surfactants in the water can do a more complete cleaning generally. Almost all industrial uses of ultrasonic cleaning use surfactants appropriate to the item being cleaned.

Fwiw, both Audio Desk and Degritter include bottles of cleaning agents meant to be added to their tanks of water.

Degritter - the Degritter is relatively new and like any brand new mechanical device it has had some some problems come up with their machine. However, thus far the company has been attentive to end-users and responsive in offering fixes and updates. Degritter machines are sold through on-line retailers in the US. It is not clear the extent to which they have US-based support and in some cases machines get returned to Europe for repair. The machine is controlled by a microprocessor and its operation can be updated via software. That is a positive feature though it is still basically a mechanical device with a pump, motor to turn the record and a fan.

Ultrasonic cleaning involves the generation of bubbles of vacuum in the cleaning tank. When these vacuum bubbles hit a surface (the record) they explode, and their released energy impacts against the surface and can dislodge substances foreign to that surface. The frequency applied to an ultrasonic cavitator determines the size of the vacuum bubbles that it generates. The lower the frequency, the larger the bubble, the greater the explosive force.

The main problem with the Degritter, imo, is that it runs its ultrasonic cavitators at 120kHz. This is high compared to other machines. This high frequency generates more and smaller bubbles than a lower frequency, so there is a greater distribution of vacuum bubbles, however their explosive force is considerably less than bubbles generated at 40 or 80kHz. Degritter is sensitive to this issue and claims their high operating frequency as a feature. Ideally, a USC RCM operating at two frequencies (low and high) will clean a larger percentage of residue types based on particle size.

The Degritter does have a removable water tank. This means you can do a separate rinse step after using their cleaning fluid; ideally you'd want two tanks, one for cleaning solution and one to fill with clean distilled water and no cleaning solution.

Audio Desk (AD) - this machine is a hybrid; it relies more on its four soft rotating brushes to clean a record with assistance from a single ultrasonic transducer. AD does not disclose its operating frequency. Because of the rotating brushes the AD operation is mechnically more complex than a machine without brushes. The brushes will get dirty over time. They can be cleaned several times in a washing machine, but ultimately will require replacement from the manufacturer; at ~$100 the brushes are somewhat pricey.

The AD also uses cleaning fluid, one vial of which (~$20) is claimed to clean 100-150 records. The downside here is re-using the same tank of solution over the time it takes to clean those records. The tank solution grows dirtier with each record cleaned. The AD has no rinse step, thus the water on the record when it is dried by the unit's fan is the wash water with residue in it. The Audio Desk does have a smallish non-spec'd sponge filter that operates passively; this filter will collect dirt but does not thoroughly clean the tank solution.

All None of the single-slot desktop machines have easy access to their cleaning tanks and are very difficult to clean. Over time residue (sludge) builds up in the tank and on any operating mechanics exposed to the cleaning solution. That means that whatever solution is in the tank will have residue in it. When the record is dried by a fan that residue can be left on the record. A key to avoiding (or at least reducing) that problem is to use active filtration with a decent absolute rated filter anytime a record is in the tank.

Unfortuneatly none of the current machines have decent filters (although KLaudio had an option with a more robust filter.) The Degritter has a small in-line replaceable plug filter but its porosity rating is not spec'd. It is possible to assemble an effective filtration system to use in conjunction with a desktop machine, especially if the tank has a drain plug.

All of these machines will get a record cleaner than it was before cleaning. Under nominal conditions each offers push button convenience. Each has its advocates. It is also possible to get a record cleaned using a vacuum type machine (such as the OP's VPI) and to get it just as clean as using an ultrasonic. However, the horizontal oriented RCMs take more time (only cleaning one side at a time) and with water flying all over the place are considerably messier than putting a record in a tank. But with patience they can do the job and they do make rinsing simple. One option is to use an ultrasonic to clean and a horizontal vacuum to rinse and dry. This takes more time and uses more space.

There is no clear methodology for gauging cleaning effectiveness. (You cannot clean the same record twice.) Imo the best judge is listening: if the record sounds clean, it is clean.

Imo, a key to the viability of the vinyl medium is keeping records clean. All efforts to do so are applauded.
I was just looking at the Kirmus. Why no love?

Old 11-25-2020, 06:08 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Paul - I’ve always been intrigued by the Kirmuss......Michael Fremer vouches for it and has had good results with it.....I’ve watched a few of his reviews of it online. My thing with the Kirmuss is the time......if you really got into the weeds a single record could take about 30 minutes to clean. I just don’t have that kind of time to spend on a single LP!! It’s a very time intensive “restoration” process, not just a cleaner. Look up the process online with Kirmuss visiting Fremer in his home, it’s pretty interesting and they walk you through each step. (I have an Audiodesk Vinyl cleaner ProX).

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-25-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Paul - I’ve always been intrigued by the Kirmuss......Michael Fremer vouches for it and has had good results with it.....I’ve watched a few of his reviews of it online. My thing with the Kirmuss is the time......if you really got into the weeds a single record could take about 30 minutes to clean. I just don’t have that kind of time to spend on a single LP!! It’s a very time intensive “restoration” process, not just a cleaner. Look up the process online with Kirmuss visiting Fremer in his home, it’s pretty interesting and they walk you through each step. (I have an Audiodesk Vinyl cleaner ProX).

- Buck
Thank Buck.... I just watched the video. I want no part of that. If I only had a few records then maybe.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:28 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
My thing with the Kirmuss is the time......if you really got into the weeds a single record could take about 30 minutes to clean.
- Buck
Buck - believe you've misunderstood. "Restoration" can take 20-30 minutes. A normal "clean" only takes about 2 minutes in the machine and then whatever for your drying method with the Kirmuss.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Buck - believe you've misunderstood. "Restoration" can take 20-30 minutes. A normal "clean" only takes about 2 minutes in the machine and then whatever for your drying method with the Kirmuss.
So what your saying is that after a restoration or let’s say a brand new LP you have to clean for only 2 minutes?

Old 11-26-2020, 06:16 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
I looked at Kirmuss a few years back. I won't question intentions but based on what I read I thought the guy was a quack, white lab coat and all, calling himself Doctor Kirmuss, sounding like a pitchman. His explanation of record cleaning, show demonstrations, and methods do not match what I've learned. Last time I looked (admittedly a while back) he was rubbing anti-static spray or some such into a record with a cloth. He spends more time on straw dog arguments against "unstable flawed in design" systems that don't exist. There is so much information available about ultrasonic cleaning and vinyl that I look elsewhere than Kirmuss. The primary attractant for the Kirmuss is likely its low price ($800). No doubt his method has buyers, but imo his offering is not on the same level as other options. ymmv
Old 11-26-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
I looked at Kirmuss a few years back. I won't question intentions but based on what I read I thought the guy was a quack, white lab coat and all, calling himself Doctor Kirmuss, sounding like a pitchman. His explanation of record cleaning, show demonstrations, and methods do not match what I've learned. Last time I looked (admittedly a while back) he was rubbing anti-static spray or some such into a record with a cloth. He spends more time on straw dog arguments against "unstable flawed in design" systems that don't exist. There is so much information available about ultrasonic cleaning and vinyl that I look elsewhere than Kirmuss. The primary attractant for the Kirmuss is likely its low price ($800). No doubt his method has buyers, but imo his offering is not on the same level as other options. ymmv
So would it be safe to say since the price is reasonable you can purchase the Kirmuss as an Ultrasonic RCM and not use the Kirmuss method of cleaning records?

Old 11-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Michael Fremer says that he gets great results with the Kirmuss--better than Audiodesk. I wonder if he ever did a fair comparison by putting a record in the Audiodesk 3 or 4 consecutive times? It would take less effort and time than the Kirmuss system. My procedure is one cleaning on the Audiodesk and a rinse with reagent grade water on my VPI HW-17.