AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Guestbook > Personal Introductions

Personal Introductions Feel free to sign in

Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Searching for the Sound!

Hey Rick -

Welcome to the board. I live in Howard County as well.

Best

Rich
Speakers: Thiel 3.6
Cables: Transparent Power Protection: PS Audio PPP
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Just seen this thread and was too interested in what I was reading and viewing I ALMOST forgot to post.
SO.
Hello from Folsom Pa. a suburb just outside Philadelphia.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Bodhisattva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohighway View Post
Hello all,

I promised myself that 2013 would be a year of changes. And as part of that I decided to come over here to AA to get an idea of what's hot (or not) in the high end audio world.

I'd gauge my system to be, at best, extremely modest compared to most of what I'm seeing here. Currently running a B&K Pro10 Sonata preamp feeding into a pair of vintage Fisher 50a tube monoblocks. As far as speakers go I've been mostly rotating between Allison Two, Kef 104/2, IMF TLS80 and a pair of 50's vintage Klipschorns.

Probably the weakest links in the system are the CD player and turntable, a Kenwood and Denon respectively. I do want to upgrade my CD player to a good quality unit capable of playing CD/SACD. I also want to enter the world of quality digital input (streaming, PC server, or ??? ...I need to figure out what's out there...) One further note. I long ago abandoned tape and FM as sources.

So from this point on, you'll see me nosing around the various threads ! Looking forward to discussions with you.

Rick
Hi Rick & welcome to the forum mate! Your system has character & as always it's all about the music I recently abandoned fm & analogue to focus on digital streaming in the future as well, so I feel like we're kindred spirits in that pursuit.

Cheers,
Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 AM

Greetings, Rick.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM

Welcome!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohighway View Post
I do not currently have the ability to play SACD. Also, I forgot to mention (well, I just edited it back into the OP) that I long ago abandoned tape and FM as sources.

I used to work near Hyattsville. In Greenbelt at NASA Goddard.
Most SACD's are hybrid discs, and have a multi channel layer, a stereo SACD layer and a very, very good CD layer - which will play on (almost) all CD machines.

The CD layer of most SACD's is at least as good as the single layer CD's and many people have said that it might even be better - especially when the SACD is remastered from an earlier recording.

If you have any desire or plans to acquire an SACD player at some point in the future, you are way ahead of the game if you buy the SACD's now and play the CD layer.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

From one AA newbie to another: Welcome !

Cheers
AM
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Wow. Thanks for all the warm greetings from all of you.

I've gotta' say the more I look around this site the more I feel like a fish out of water. The level of some of the systems is more than I'll ever choose to afford. But still, there's lots to learn from what others have done. And I'm hoping to improve what I have by tapping into some of that knowledge.

Do any of you local guys get together?

Made a change to my system recently. Added a Fried C/2 - O/2 satellite/sub system.
Appears to have been kit built. Seems to have a LOT of promise!

Thanks for the comments about the SACD player. I wasn't aware of the layering on the discs. I'll have to start acquiring a few. While I am fascinated with turntables, there is only so far I'm willing to pursue that leg of the system. I don't see lots of vinyl purchases in my future, and as such see no reason to pursue a high end table, arm, cart, etc.

As much magic as vinyl can provide, I believe I'm addicted to the wider dynamic range that CD (SACD) can provide. And the convenience factor doesn't hurt either.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Hello everyone at AA!!
Catcher10 (José) here from the Pacific Northwest home of BigFoot , Puget Sound area.
Glad I finally made the move to create an account so I can post and read and see more. Some wonderful gear that a lot of you have, very impressive! My simple system comprises of the following:

Amp: NAD C356BEE Integrated 80wpc
CDP: NAD C545BEE
Analog: Music Hall mmf-7.1
Cartridge: Nagaoka MP-200, MP-110
Phono amp: NAD PP375
Speakers: Epos Epic 2
DAC: Grant Fidelity TubeDAC 11, currently using a Jan-Philips 6922
Cables: Belden speaker cables, Morrow Audio Reference PH3 phono cables and MA3 inter connects
Digital/Streaming: ZuneHD 32GB Media Player via optical to the DAC

My current upgrade plan is for a new phono stage, hopefully within a few months.

My musical passion is progressive rock, jazz and R&B.....mostly via analog. I figure I am about 80% vinyl, 10% CD and 10% digital files.

Thanks everyone!

Great site......I appreciate it
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Maybe I made a mistake in my post above.....I thought I was putting my intro in the general personal introductions page/thread......not replying to this thread from Howard County Maryland?

I appologize, maybe a MOD can move the above post?

Cheers!