AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Audio Racks & Furniture

Audio Racks & Furniture Attractive and Functional Display for Gear

Old 12-12-2021, 04:23 PM
Retired

Perhaps I've 'executed' my granite slabs correctly. Here is a pic of a vibration readout from my phone while laying atop an empty 22"x22" granite shelf I use while being rapped with my brass hammer. As is clearly displayed, after the initial knock and rebound there is essentially no ringing between the hammer strikes other then that last one, where I struck quite hard. Just a bit of low level ring on that one. The strikes were about in the center of the piece and spaced about 2 sec between.
I also rapped the side-edge of the granite slab, but the initial spike was about 1/3 the height of these and, again, essentially no ringing.

Think you'll be good with granite.

Almost forgot to mention, the Allman Brothers' "Live at the Fillmore" was rocking & rolling on the TT on the shelf about 4" to the right of the one I was striking and there was zero noise feed back thru the system that I could hear.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211212-150039_One UI Home.jpg (75.7 KB, 131 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-12-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:31 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

We use Adona Racks. The use a Granite top as a layer in their manufacturing process. They are very well made. We use the Reference Rack for our TT. Each shelf hold 300+ lbs. They are amazing.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.

Last edited by JoeN; 12-12-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Perhaps I've 'executed' my granite slabs correctly. Here is a pic of a vibration readout from my phone while laying atop an empty 22"x22" granite shelf I use while being rapped with my brass hammer. As is clearly displayed, after the initial knock and rebound there is essentially no ringing between the hammer strikes other then that last one, where I struck quite hard. Just a bit of low level ring on that one. The strikes were about in the center of the piece and spaced about 2 sec between.
I also rapped the side-edge of the granite slab, but the initial spike was about 1/3 the height of these and, again, essentially no ringing.

Almost forgot to mention, the Allman Brothers' "Live at the Fillmore" was rocking & rolling on the TT on the shelf about 4" to the right of the one I was striking and there was zero noise feed back thru the system that I could hear.

Glenn, what app is that, specifically? Thanks in advance.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:43 AM
Retired

Interesting............ thought I answered this last evening. Must have forgotten to post.

I use a Samsung Android phone and this is one of the apps that popped up when I put in the app you suggested, which did not show up at all. It is from the Play Store. You will recognize it by the icon, which is the one in lower left of the screen-shot I posted. Not the best due to its lack of saving data, but adequate for our needs.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-17-2021, 02:14 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:

May be worth doing it, if only to find out if I can hear a difference in the office and the cost of fabricating the slab remnant isn't ridiculous. The reason for a plinth is aesthetic (and the damn slab was so expensive my wife thought we should keep the cutout made for the cooktop), and my speaker placement-to-listening-position setup is suboptimal enough that if there is a sonic difference it may not matter. Thanks for the feedback.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
May be worth doing it, if only to find out if I can hear a difference in the office and the cost of fabricating the slab remnant isn't ridiculous. The reason for a plinth is aesthetic (and the damn slab was so expensive my wife thought we should keep the cutout made for the cooktop), and my speaker placement-to-listening-position setup is suboptimal enough that if there is a sonic difference it may not matter. Thanks for the feedback.
My perspective is consistent with Geinrich Altschuler, who developed TRIZ* (Theory of Inventive Problem-Solving). Specifically, that working towards Altschuler's "Concept of Ideality"✝︎ which is the simpler and less complex a "solution" can be, the better. Less potential for failure modes, and concomitantly, less susceptibility of "control factors" to noise factors, which in this case, are any factors that induce variation or shift the functional response off-target, or both. Thus, the less the impact on control factors by "noise factors", the better the functionality.

When I used to teach Design for Six Sigma a coupla years ago, an important concept was..."It's all about the...transfer function."

The more simply a design can mediate the transfer function, the better.

Rega's overall "less is more" design philosophy is very much in concordance with the concept of Ideality. BTW, Linn is very familiar with this design philosophy as well, with their classic "Simply better" tagline. Those guys know their engineering.

Just some philosophical musings for a Friday.

*– TRIZ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIZ

✝︎– Ideality: shorturl.at/nCOV9
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-17-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:04 PM
Retired

Do agree simpler is generally better.

Granite/marble cutouts are a cost to the companies that do the granite installs. They can't really use them for anything and have to pay to have them hauled away and trashed. Unless your local dealers have found a use for them, they are usually pretty happy to let them go for a few$$. That's how I obtained mine.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:17 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Do agree simpler is generally better.

Granite/marble cutouts are a cost to the companies that do the granite installs. They can't really use them for anything and have to pay to have them hauled away and trashed. Unless your local dealers have found a use for them, they are usually pretty happy to let them go for a few$$. That's how I obtained mine.
Cool. Thanks, Glenn! You've given me the idea of picking up a few pieces to use a platforms for product photography. Might make for a nice surface or backdrop for lifestyle product photos and the like.

To wit, a product shot just for fun* of my G-Shock GGB-100-1A3 on a small trapezoidal block of granite (the base for my Six Sigma Black Belt certification trophy, to be exact).

*-I do shots like this for fun to practice my lighting and staging technique
Old 12-18-2021, 03:00 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
My perspective is consistent with Geinrich Altschuler, who developed TRIZ* (Theory of Inventive Problem-Solving). Specifically, that working towards Altschuler's "Concept of Ideality"✝︎ which is the simpler and less complex a "solution" can be, the better. Less potential for failure modes, and concomitantly, less susceptibility of "control factors" to noise factors, which in this case, are any factors that induce variation or shift the functional response off-target, or both. Thus, the less the impact on control factors by "noise factors", the better the functionality.

When I used to teach Design for Six Sigma a coupla years ago, an important concept was..."It's all about the...transfer function."

The more simply a design can mediate the transfer function, the better.

Rega's overall "less is more" design philosophy is very much in concordance with the concept of Ideality. BTW, Linn is very familiar with this design philosophy as well, with their classic "Simply better" tagline. Those guys know their engineering.

Just some philosophical musings for a Friday.

*– TRIZ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIZ

✝︎– Ideality: shorturl.at/nCOV9
Makes sense - reminds me of some Quality courses I took back in the day, including one taught by W. Edwards Deming. Simplifying as much as possible is critical in so many arenas.

After seeing these and the first links you posted, I'm kind of tempted to do the plinth just to find out what I can hear, and to be able to articulate what the differences, are. Got a music box mechanism on its way, and playing with it like you guys have done is a great way to understand better what I'm hearing when something doesn't seem right.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Makes sense - reminds me of some Quality courses I took back in the day, including one taught by W. Edwards Deming. Simplifying as much as possible is critical in so many arenas.
Yup! There ya go! I used to teach Design for Six Sigma for 10 years as a Master Black Belt in the Biotech company I worked in. Deming laid the core foundation for all of that. A very wise man. Altschuler's Theory of Ideality is always a good thing to strive for. In particular with respect to vinyl playback, because it is so sensitive to the impact of "noise factors". The simpler you can make a "system", the less likely it'll be susceptible to noise factors impacting the "control factors".

Quote:
After seeing these and the first links you posted, I'm kind of tempted to do the plinth just to find out what I can hear, and to be able to articulate what the differences, are. Got a music box mechanism on its way, and playing with it like you guys have done is a great way to understand better what I'm hearing when something doesn't seem right.
Yeah, sure...experiments are always a good idea! If I may make a suggestion, to ensure your experiment is "fully orthogonal", as we would say in DOE-parlance, also consider trying that killer P8 on that incredibly expensive $19.99 Ikea Aptitlig bamboo platform resting on some Herbie's Tenderfoot footers.

Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-18-2021 at 09:48 PM.