AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 12-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Ultra-Fast 69

Default Nordost - Q Kore; Grounding Achievements

QRT’s - QKore 6

I am writing to bring awareness on how awesome an external ground helps a system and to hopefully draw attention to help others realize this.

I know only the fundamentals about electrical grounding relative to safety and not sure how it relates to sound, other then external grounding components work to bring out a much richer and focused sound. Maybe someone on here can help enlighten the engineering behind this in layman terms, in any event, here we go...

This past October I attended my first audio show, RMAF and like any convention there is lots to see and do, but to realize maximum value you have to engage to learn, and that’s what I hoped to do but could not fully get into the technical side of things as the sounds and the audio eye candy distracted my focus.

Prior to RMAF and being on these forums, I have already started my Nordost cable journey but was not familiar with what the QRT products offered as I embodied skepticism, and wanted to use the RMAF platform to learn more about these various tweaks to decide how much further I would venture into nirvana in terms of time and expense.

Quickly, I found my way to the Nordost room directed by their conveniently placed kiosk in the lobby. Smartly, Nordost took you through the different series of cables, and the improvements that offers something for everyone, and they were able to prove this with no gimmicks, tricks and related. Each testing used the same settings, gear and tracks played. As the demonstration evolved, one of the focal points was within the QRT product line; the QKore external grounding system.

There are 3 models of the Q-Kore, each at different price points; the 1, 3 and 6. The base level, QKore 1 addresses grounding in the power distribution and also serves as a great starting point in price and quality. However, be warned that you will quickly want the second or third models in the series offered by Nordost where it allows you to address either 2 or 5 components, aside from the power distribution. Either of these choices and your still ahead, both sides gives you a sense of completeness of QKores ability. Also, Nordost recommends begin with power distribution as a starting point even before grounding and offers their QB8 and QB4 distribution outlets addressed my this, but using their distribution is not a requirement.

I operate a PS Audio P10 and QKore6 for my own reasons. PS Audio said they do not address the grounding aspect like offered by Nordost. QKore did it’s job realizing very noticeable ground gains using the optional RJ45 jack from the P10 into the power side of QKore. So this makes QKore universal from grounding the power side between QRT devices and the P10, then with the QKore6 I get to ground 5 components as well adding layers of improvement.

Back to where it started, so upon the presenters demonstration, the overall dimension and clarity in sound hit me between the ears and played out like the original Batman TV series using the Bam’s, POW’s and Smack’s in animated fashion…I was beyond impressed and all from a component requiring no power cable. The QKore grounding systems magical ability borders as mesmerizing, no different then when one undergoes cable, isolation and treatment upgrades aside from components and speakers.

I instantly contacted my Nordost dealer from the show ordering the QKore 6, plus 4 grounding cables for various components.

* Note: The Nordost Q Kore 6 has a total of 6 terminals, with 1 dedicated to ground the distribution power and the others for audio components or mono block amps (each additional cable is around $350, a fraction of the price compared to power cables and come in RCA, BNC, XLR, RJ45 and Banana)

* Hookup was simple, the results spectacular. Upon turning on the system, the music was now more revealing in every way, much like at the show, no matter the track played. Sounds appeared clearer through their dynamic broadcast revealing music as it was intended and with an increased level in volume showing what an ungrounded system was hiding. Yes the level of volume increased, but not by adjusting the volume control, the sound became louder as the ground in QKore was removing unwanted electrical noise and interference providing clearer dynamics on a darkened detailed soundstage.

One of the hardest parts of this hobby was getting past the notion of choosing complimenting items that greatly benefits a system. Visually it’s hard for me to spend money unless immediate visual gratification can be had with knobs, dials, lights and all the fancy billeted aluminum, but somehow I mostly restrained myself.

I am a believer to maximize performance on many pieces of gear by various brands the foundation of the system addressing power along with controlling the sound emitted by room treatments and isolation devices are of great importance and the difference between good sound and great sound.

While my writing tilts towards Nordost, there are other companies that include similar offerings creating options for you. I have no vested interest in Nordost whatsoever, and don’t believe there is one solution for all other then the principles of ensuring room treatment, isolation and power play a factor in reproducing the best sound possible.

Hear where you can, read and study when you can, but overall enjoy your system! After all, who wants to spend a bunch of time and money to never fully be happy.

I hope this helps the prospective, current and future enthusiasts in their listening journey.

In closing, I respectfully request the forum moderators to add Nordost into the manufacturers forum.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:15 PM

What a great post and write up.
Thank you very much
Old 12-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Agreed. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:28 PM

I'd like to add my thanks for this excellent, open minded post!
Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 AM

Thank you very much for this post. I've been researching power improvement options lately and this will add to the mix of considerations. I've taken initial steps to lower noise in my system and continuing to do so is the primary direction I'm taking my system in 2018.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 12-25-2017, 08:14 AM

I have lowered noise in my system by never turning it on... Merry Christmas!
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 12-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For The Love of Music View Post
QRT’s - QKore 6

I am writing to bring awareness on how awesome an external ground helps a system and to hopefully draw attention to help others realize this.

I know only the fundamentals about electrical grounding relative to safety and not sure how it relates to sound, other then external grounding components work to bring out a much richer and focused sound. Maybe someone on here can help enlighten the engineering behind this in layman terms, in any event, here we go...

This past October I attended my first audio show, RMAF and like any convention there is lots to see and do, but to realize maximum value you have to engage to learn, and that’s what I hoped to do but could not fully get into the technical side of things as the sounds and the audio eye candy distracted my focus.

Prior to RMAF and being on these forums, I have already started my Nordost cable journey but was not familiar with what the QRT products offered as I embodied skepticism, and wanted to use the RMAF platform to learn more about these various tweaks to decide how much further I would venture into nirvana in terms of time and expense.

Quickly, I found my way to the Nordost room directed by their conveniently placed kiosk in the lobby. Smartly, Nordost took you through the different series of cables, and the improvements that offers something for everyone, and they were able to prove this with no gimmicks, tricks and related. Each testing used the same settings, gear and tracks played. As the demonstration evolved, one of the focal points was within the QRT product line; the QKore external grounding system.

There are 3 models of the Q-Kore, each at different price points; the 1, 3 and 6. The base level, QKore 1 addresses grounding in the power distribution and also serves as a great starting point in price and quality. However, be warned that you will quickly want the second or third models in the series offered by Nordost where it allows you to address either 2 or 5 components, aside from the power distribution. Either of these choices and your still ahead, both sides gives you a sense of completeness of QKores ability. Also, Nordost recommends begin with power distribution as a starting point even before grounding and offers their QB8 and QB4 distribution outlets addressed my this, but using their distribution is not a requirement.

I operate a PS Audio P10 and QKore6 for my own reasons. PS Audio said they do not address the grounding aspect like offered by Nordost. QKore did it’s job realizing very noticeable ground gains using the optional RJ45 jack from the P10 into the power side of QKore. So this makes QKore universal from grounding the power side between QRT devices and the P10, then with the QKore6 I get to ground 5 components as well adding layers of improvement.

Back to where it started, so upon the presenters demonstration, the overall dimension and clarity in sound hit me between the ears and played out like the original Batman TV series using the Bam’s, POW’s and Smack’s in animated fashion…I was beyond impressed and all from a component requiring no power cable. The QKore grounding systems magical ability borders as mesmerizing, no different then when one undergoes cable, isolation and treatment upgrades aside from components and speakers.

I instantly contacted my Nordost dealer from the show ordering the QKore 6, plus 4 grounding cables for various components.

* Note: The Nordost Q Kore 6 has a total of 6 terminals, with 1 dedicated to ground the distribution power and the others for audio components or mono block amps (each additional cable is around $350, a fraction of the price compared to power cables and come in RCA, BNC, XLR, RJ45 and Banana)

* Hookup was simple, the results spectacular. Upon turning on the system, the music was now more revealing in every way, much like at the show, no matter the track played. Sounds appeared clearer through their dynamic broadcast revealing music as it was intended and with an increased level in volume showing what an ungrounded system was hiding. Yes the level of volume increased, but not by adjusting the volume control, the sound became louder as the ground in QKore was removing unwanted electrical noise and interference providing clearer dynamics on a darkened detailed soundstage.

One of the hardest parts of this hobby was getting past the notion of choosing complimenting items that greatly benefits a system. Visually it’s hard for me to spend money unless immediate visual gratification can be had with knobs, dials, lights and all the fancy billeted aluminum, but somehow I mostly restrained myself.

I am a believer to maximize performance on many pieces of gear by various brands the foundation of the system addressing power along with controlling the sound emitted by room treatments and isolation devices are of great importance and the difference between good sound and great sound.

While my writing tilts towards Nordost, there are other companies that include similar offerings creating options for you. I have no vested interest in Nordost whatsoever, and don’t believe there is one solution for all other then the principles of ensuring room treatment, isolation and power play a factor in reproducing the best sound possible.

Hear where you can, read and study when you can, but overall enjoy your system! After all, who wants to spend a bunch of time and money to never fully be happy.

I hope this helps the prospective, current and future enthusiasts in their listening journey.

In closing, I respectfully request the forum moderators to add Nordost into the manufacturers forum.

Nice write up, can you post some pictures showing how this configured into your system. I've looked online but really cannot tell how the connections are made.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBattles View Post
Nice write up, can you post some pictures showing how this configured into your system. I've looked online but really cannot tell how the connections are made.
Really good instruction on how to connect your system to the QKore.

http://www.nordost.com/downloads/mul...0Manual_EN.pdf
Old 12-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Review:
Nordost • Qkore Grounding System
Old 12-26-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Really good instruction on how to connect your system to the QKore.

http://www.nordost.com/downloads/mul...0Manual_EN.pdf
Thank you for that link, thats what i think most have been looking for