AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Marten Loudspeakers

Marten Loudspeakers Sweden's Best

Old 05-23-2014, 01:16 AM

Default Marten Duke 2

Wow! Did you all see this review?

marten duke 2
Old 05-23-2014, 03:03 AM

I'm really amazed by the sound of these new accuton drivers - so i can certainly see why he is saying these things
Old 05-23-2014, 04:46 AM

I hear them in that reviewers system all the time. They are a stunning achievement from a sonic stand point. That mid range driver has to be one of the most revealing, musical yet accurate driver around. There is some magic in the crossover design that makes these ceramic drivers sing like I've never heard them sing before.
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor

Last edited by shaizada; 05-23-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:59 PM

shaizada, did you have an opporutinity to listen to MIles 3 or 5 speakers, how do the compare with Django. I am thinking about upgrading my Django XL, but so far looks like real upgrade is Bird 2, that is over my budged, so I was thiking may be Miles V since they have those wonderfull 7" midrange midbass drivers and great ceramic tweeter. Plus being 2 way speakers they may have better and more simplistic crossover than Djangos and may sound even more coherent. But my concern is thier bass and having smaller footprint, will they sound full enough?
Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 12:29 AM

myjazz123, what is it about the Django XL that is making you feel like you should upgrade?

As you go up the line, you are buying into a more sophisticated sound, more openness, better drivers, better wiring, better looks etc.

I very strongly suggest you try and listen to the speakers you are thinking of buying. The django is a fantastic speaker with bass to spare. However, if you don't need that kind of bass performance and need more midrange magic, that 7" Accuton midrange is to die for, especially in the current generation crossover design. Frankly, the Heritage lineup is the sweet spot in the line up from what I have heard ALL the way to the top of the range with the Marten Supreme II.
Analog: Ear Discmaster, Redpoint Model D, VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod, Townshend Rock 7, EAR 324, VDH Grasshopper III GLA, Dynavector XV-1T, Dynavector XV-1S, Jorma Prime/Origo, Jan Allaerts, Einstein Turntables Choice, Digital: EAR Acute IV / Dac IV Preamp: EAR 912, Ray Samuels B-52 Amplifiers: EAR 890 Monoblocks, Concert Fidelity ZL-120V2SE, Almarro 318B Accessories: Stillpoints ESS Rack, Sistrum, KS Emotion Cables Speakers: Marten Coltrane Tenor
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 AM

shaizada, thank you for the info, you for sure know the martens. The Django XL overall are fine speakers, but to me they are lacking some refinement throughout the range.
I would like to hear more airy and focused highs, more defined mid-bass.
I can’t audition, the only marten dealer that I jave within 3 hour of driving have Djangos in his store.
Btw my dealer told me that Marten are raising prices 15% from June 1.
So I have 3 days left. I was thinking about Getz 2 or Miles 5, but like you said, without audition it will be risky to buy these models,
since Django can be overall better in my system. Looks like sure bet is Bird 2. But they come with out of my range price, unless I somehow convince my wife,
which will be impossible (:
Old 05-27-2014, 04:17 PM

You are correct, prices are increasing across the board from June 1st. Bird 2 will retail for $40k in the USA. Frankly, if you can, buy the Getz 2....you will not NEED to audition them. It will be an extremely safe bet because for bass performance (if you find it lacking, which I seriously doubt that you will), you can always add in a Marten Form Subwoofer later. What you gain over the Djangos, more importantly is a much better midrange to high frequency performance. Again, the Django's are not lacking, but there is more control to be had in the new crossover design over the ceramic drivers.

You will get a more sophisticated sound compared to the Django's, if that is what you are after.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM

I agree - u do not need to audition. If u like the house sound and you clearly do, you will get all the things you are looking for by moving up the range with very little or no trade offs.

i bought my coltrane tenors without listening to them first. Was i a little concerned - u bet. But they actually sound better than i had hoped for. The ceramic drivers really are excellent in every way, and i think (don't quote me ) all the models we are talking about share the same 7inch ceramic midrange.

good luck
Old 05-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Is it safe to say the Miles 5 is the Duke 2 with a bit more bass? Anybody know the price of the Miles 5.

Thx
Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 AM

i think it would have to be - same tweeter but one extra 7 inch which crosses over a tiny bit lower than the duke 2.

its rated a bit more efficient than the duke 2 so it might be easier to drive.

ive noticed on my speakers which are 86db that compared to my old magico's which were also rated 86 db, that i turn my amp up way less - its quite dramatic where i used to listen at a volume -20 i now listen at - 40?