AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
After a lot of research, the PS Audio PWD Mk II appears to be a great potential solution (that is within my budget). Because I'm dedicated to my Mac music server, I considered a Firewire Weiss DAC. I've also considered Berkeley along with a number of DACs that are popular with computer audiophiles.

Has anyone compared the PS Audio PWD Mk II directly to the W4S DAC2? Also, is anyone who is using a PWD with Audirvana Plus comment on the effect of enabling Direct Mode?

Thanks.
Jason......Although I can't vouch for the W4S DAC2, I've previously had the original Berkeley Alpha DAC. The PS Audio Mk II was a tremendous improvement to my system. I am outputting via a Squeezebox Touch via USB into it. No grain, no harshness, great separations of instruments, great resolution allowing you to hear deeper into the music. Regular res Flac files sound awesome. Even low listening levels are enjoyable.
Totally happy.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Jason......Although I can't vouch for the W4S DAC2, I've previously had the original Berkeley Alpha DAC. The PS Audio Mk II was a tremendous improvement to my system. I am outputting via a Squeezebox Touch via USB into it. No grain, no harshness, great separations of instruments, great resolution allowing you to hear deeper into the music. Regular res Flac files sound awesome. Even low listening levels are enjoyable.
Totally happy.
Thanks, for the feedback, Ron!
McIntosh MX160 | McIntosh MC452 | McIntosh MC207 | Sonus faber Guarneri Memento (Graphite), Palladio PW 562 (2), Palladio PC 562 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2) | Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 ICs & SCs, Oasis 8 SC, Silver Electra 5˛ PCs, Equinox 6,
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Why is it that I see so many of these for sale? Especially for being a new product. I would like to hear from those who have owned it. Can I use my Mac Mini with it? Is it limited with inputs/outputs? Does it not sound that great? Curious. I have a chance to buy one with the bridge for a great price.

Mike
I recently switched from a Benchmark DAC1 USB to the Mark II, it's been great for me. I use it to a Mini, no bridge installed. I suspect as more and more pre-amp's come with quality USB inputs, you will see more of the PWD type products resold. Its just a fast moving segment of the industry. See the Classe CP-800.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:48 PM

Poppyhome,

I use 2.0.2 firmware, but, alas, it is not currently compatible with the latest models. They're working on an improved firmware for current models.

@jason,

I have heard the W4S 2 and, while it is a very good DAC, the MKII betters it by a wide margin in its analog presentation, detail and bass depth. I have not heard the Berkley, but someone I trust has compared it to his MKII and he says he felt the Berkley provided as much detail but was more analytical and less "musical." Once you get into the $5k to $8k range, you're really talking more about taste than objective quality, IMHO.

Last edited by Vhiner; 11-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
After I added a 2nd F113 to my system, I decided to focus on upgrading the source end of my system. After selling my 2010 Mac Pro, I was using a very old Mac Mini I had laying around and it sounded great (or so I thought). I now have a brand new 2012 Mac Mini with 2.6 Quad Core i7. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and installed an SSD so there are no moving parts (both from OWC). My music library is organized by iTunes and resides on a NAS, in another part of the house, connected by GigE.

Here are my interests:
1. I'd like to use Audirvana Plus as my player (integrated with iTunes)
2. I'd like to use Direct Mode (Integer Mode workaround on Audirvana)

My problem:
I currently have a Wyred4Sound Dac2, which has been great. Unfortunately, its driver does not support Integer or Direct Mode. I've emailed Clint about it and they said they'd look into it, but no updates promised.

Potential solutions:
I've been looking at asynchronous USB to SPDIF converters that are compatible with Integer Mode. In particular, I was considering the Audiophilleo and the EE/geek in me is impressed by their measured jitter reduction and I'm also interested in the PurePower (battery) option.

At the same time, I don't want to have to invest in more devices that would clutter a pretty simple system. Also, part of my interest in changing the hardware is so that I can compare/test the features of the software (Direct Mode).

I know a lot of people use USB to SPDIF converters with the W4S DAC2, so I presume there is a sonic benefit beyond the Asynchronous USB implementation of the DAC2 alone.

I didn't really expect to hear much of a difference when I changed the hardware, but I did. I also have experienced some significant differences between player versions (all beta), so I don't discount the effect the player/source can have on the overall sound of the system.

After a lot of research, the PS Audio PWD Mk II appears to be a great potential solution (that is within my budget). Because I'm dedicated to my Mac music server, I considered a Firewire Weiss DAC. I've also considered Berkeley along with a number of DACs that are popular with computer audiophiles.

Has anyone compared the PS Audio PWD Mk II directly to the W4S DAC2? Also, is anyone who is using a PWD with Audirvana Plus comment on the effect of enabling Direct Mode?

Thanks.
I've compared the PWD MK II to the BenchMark DAC1 and it was a nice improvement. I'm using the PWD with a Mac Mini and Pure Music and the combination is also great.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Thanks, vhiner and redm!
McIntosh MX160 | McIntosh MC452 | McIntosh MC207 | Sonus faber Guarneri Memento (Graphite), Palladio PW 562 (2), Palladio PC 562 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2) | Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 ICs & SCs, Oasis 8 SC, Silver Electra 5˛ PCs, Equinox 6,
Old 05-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Learning to Listen

Quote:
Thanks, vhiner and redm!
So? What happened? Where are you now?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Learning to Listen

I have an opportunity to buy a used PWD MK II with the bridge. Before jumping in, anyone using or have used one of these have more to say about the unit?

I've never actually auditioned one, and it would be between this and something like a new BDA-2, Mc D100, or the W4S DSD model.

Pider is Prowling.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:30 PM

Is the bridge included in the new PS DirectStreamDAC or is it still available as an option for the DirectStream?

Does the bridge allow DSD over PCM/Ethernet protocols?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Is the bridge included in the new PS DirectStreamDAC or is it still available as an option for the DirectStream?

Does the bridge allow DSD over PCM/Ethernet protocols?
Yes, the bridge is available but when viewing the specifications it is listed as coming with a "Network Bridge slot", so I'm prety sure the term "slot" would indicate that the bridge it not included and it is an option. IIRC it can do DSD over the network. BUT when McGowan spoke at the San Diego Audio Guild meeting and demonstrated the unit he said that the USB implementation sounded better. So if your PC/Mac is close to your audio gear I would use USB and not only save a lot of money, but also get better preformance per McGowan.

BTW - he said his chosen cable was the KingRex USB cables followed by the Light Harmonic as a close second ... but I think he was smitten with the KingRex to the point of asking the designer to engineer one for PS Audio.

Last edited by beowulf; 05-13-2014 at 01:35 AM.