AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 07-26-2022, 04:09 PM

I'm running my Rowland 925 amps into the Everest, which is fed to the wall with an Omega XC power cord.
They sound glorious!
Old 07-26-2022, 04:35 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Amps directly into the wall (dedicated circuits)
Everything else into Shunayta Everest (dedicated circuit)
Everything - amps and Everest - on the same phase.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
I connect all my electronics to the power conditioner.
The manufacturer recommends it.
Interesting, I understood McIntosh recommended not to. Did I misunderstand? Do different companies have differing views?
Old 07-26-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
Amps directly into the wall (dedicated circuits)
Same.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:02 PM

Richard at Shunyata instructed me to connect amp directly to dedicated circuit outlets and everything else including both JL Audio Fathom subs to my 6000S v2, which is connected to same dedicated circuit.

Last edited by Famester V1; 07-26-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:55 PM

I have everything plugged into my power conditioner. Its all McIntosh.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-27-2022, 12:21 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Yes. Why? Because the large QR/BB device(s) in my Shunyata Everest power distributor (PD) provides considerable charge "on demand". Why is this important? Well, when the full-wave bridge rectifiers in the amp's power supply (PS) snaps open during demanding or challenging passages, due to reactance*, less charge is actually available when the power supply rectifiers pull hard on the mains. This means the amp's power supply is getting less charge, and, it's getting less charge just...when it needs it the most!

The QR/BB devices in Everest and Denali provides a large reservoir of charge when needed during those demanding passages and ameliorates the impact of reactance. This makes the presentation much more dynamic, lifelike, and engaging.

* – Reactance is the measure of the opposition to the flow of alternating current caused by the inductance and capacitance in a circuit
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 07-27-2022 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:20 AM

Not sure why someone at McIntosh would say to connect your amps direct and everything else to the power controller. I have the MPC1500 and the owners manual shows that you connect your amp to the controller. My first power controller was the MPC500 and I emailed McIntosh support to ask if I was OK to connect all of my units to it and they said I was. The MPC500 is nothing like the 1500.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-27-2022, 09:32 AM

Yes. I only have two devices - a Gryphon Diablo 300 and an Esoteric K-01XD SACD Player driven by a dedicated 20 amp circuit through a Shunyata Sigma XC - Denali 6000/S V2. As explained by Puma above, the Denali's QR/BB is the reason. It improves the dynamics of both units, especially the integrated. If I had more units feeding off the Denali (maybe four or more), I'd probably be wanting to feed the Diablo direct from the wall.

Just a point of information: I've never seen an amplifier manufacturer recommend driving their amps other than directly from the wall - because they have no idea whose power conditioners (with various technologies and operating characteristics) will be used. So why take a chance? Play it safe: direct to the wall.

Last edited by GSOphile; 07-27-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:52 AM

I am also of the opinion that amps should be plugged into a Reference level Shunyata PC, if possible. A sound test comparing the 2 options should clarify it.
Paradigm: Persona 7F, C5v3, ADP3,
JL Audio: F113v2, CR-1,
Shunyata: Everest, Denali 6000/Sv2, Altera
Shunyata and WW: PCs, SCs and ICs.