AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 09-14-2020, 05:02 PM

Arrow Looking for a Krell primer...

Hello Krell People.... Other than seeing the name in audio publications, we know zero about Krell. We've owned McIntosh equipment since we (wife and I) were kids, so we've grown old without the need to explore other brands.

As for specifics, we're presently looking for a multichannel power amp to fill the last major hole in a simple 5.1 surround setup that we have in mind. Why Krell? Well, I just got of the horn with a fellow who sells both Mac and Krell and, long story short, he told me that Krell was "in a different class altogether" than Mac.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 09-14-2020, 07:11 PM

What’s there to say? Dan D’Agostino was producing some of the worlds most legendary products under the name of Krell since 1980 and now sets the benchmark even higher with Dan D’Agostino audio.

I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Dan in person and conversing with him on a few occasions. He is a master of his art, plain and simple.

Krell amplifiers, preamplifier, dacs, transports and CD players were typically regarded as some of the very best high end audio had to offer for decades. Military grade quality, top notch components under the hood and brilliant/innovative design that was always at the leading edge of technological performance that could be squeezed from the circuits and components.

Some of the most impressive auditions I’ve had the pleasure to experience over the years featured high current, sheer muscle Krell amplifiers grabbing compete control over any speaker and inducing eye flinching and rectum puckering dynamics that would blow the unprepared out of the seat yet being totally musical, engaging and mesmerizing in the context of great system synergy.

I have friends that are still enjoying the Krell products from late 80’s and 90’s. They are still as impressive as they ever were, even today. D’Agostino audio raises the bar even higher.

Since the master was forced out of Krell, I cannot speak for the post D’Agostino era products from Krell.

All one needs to do is peruse some of the archived reviews of Krell from any decade... in any publication.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:30 PM

Here is an interview that gives one a glimpse of Krell and the man behind the name. https://www.stereophile.com/intervie...ino/index.html
Old 09-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Go Dawgs

Love the older Krell amplifiication.....before I was able to afford any high end gear, I lusted after a pair of FPB 350MC amplifiers....I still think they look (and probably sound) excellent today.

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-14-2020, 07:59 PM

I was always impressed with the KSA series amps and Krell digital at the time. It just sounded so right and so musical and the presentation was holographical. Sheer magic when everything was right in the system.

The KSA-200S was class A 200w into 8 ohms and kept doubling down into 1 ohm for 1600w if the house wall supply was up to it. They typically weren’t up to it.

The sustained plateau biasing offered pure class A as long as possible before going class AB when the “pedal wanted metal”...

I still love Class A hence my own Class A integrated but I would say it was Krell over the many years that convinced my ears to never settle for anything but Class A or tubes.

Here is a review of the Krell KSA-200s It just as impressive amp today as the very best out there.

https://www.stereophile.com/solidpow...ell/index.html
Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 PM

The only thing I worry about with matching a non McIntosh HT amp with a McIntosh MXxxx processor is if the trigger connection to turn on the amp from the processor will work or if you need to manually turn on the HT amp. Not all HT amps will turn on with the trigger. I needed to purchase a McIntosh PC-4, which is hard to find, to trigger my non McIntosh HT amp from my MX121. Others here may have some better suggestions.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 09-14-2020, 09:47 PM
Go Dawgs

Of course there were the Krell Audio Standards......I couldn’t believe how expensive those things were at the time. Incredible mono locks and I always liked the some what industrial look.

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 09-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Of course there were the Krell Audio Standards......I couldn’t believe how expensive those things were at the time. Incredible mono locks and I always liked the some what industrial look.

Gorgeous indeed. They were $32,000 back in the day which is probably closer to $50k today, inflation adjusted? Perfection never came cheap, not then, not now...
Old 09-14-2020, 10:18 PM
Go Dawgs

Serge - yep.....I think I’ve mentioned it before but if I had some sort of secondary space, I’d love to put together a 90’s “vintage system” based around the Krell Audio Standards and a pair of original Sonus Faber Extremas. Awesome.

- Buck
Old 09-14-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Serge - yep.....I think I’ve mentioned it before but if I had some sort of secondary space, I’d love to put together a 90’s “vintage system” based around the Krell Audio Standards and a pair of original Sonus Faber Extremas. Awesome.

- Buck
It is exactly what a friend of mine has to this day. Krell KSA amps, Krell preamp, Krell MD10 transport, Krell Studio 64 DAC, Proac response 3 speakers. Amps were recapped, transport laser assembly replaced after 15 years of service, speakers redone and all sounding as good as day 1. Fantastic system.