AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Travel & Leisure

Travel & Leisure AA around the World

Old 10-13-2020, 01:47 PM
Go Dawgs

Default Instead of RMAF 2020, how about a Disney trip report with pictures??

Well, as many of you know, we normally would be doing a nice trip report from Denver, CO on RMAF and the latest and greatest from the world of high end audio. Since the audio shows have ground to a halt and it's been several years, we decided to take the girls down to Disney World for their fall break and see what Disney was like with less crowds (thank God). We flew down to Orlando from Atlanta last Wednesday to kick it off. My wife took a bunch of pictures, so hope you don't mind pics of the kiddos, but since traveling hasn't been what it was since last February, I thought it would be fun to post a trip report to take the place of my annual trip report from Denver.

We stayed at the Disney Riviera resort, a couple of miles away from Epcot and Hollywood studios. They have an awesome outdoor pool area for adults as well as kids:

We started the next day with a trip to Animal Kingdom.....didn't take a ton of pictures there, saved them for Universal Studios and Star Ward Galaxy's Edge.

Here's a pick from Pandora, which was the Avatar "land" in Animal Kingdom. The virtual reality ride they had there was one of the most amazing things I've every experienced. It was incredible how interactive the ride was.

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 10-13-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Go Dawgs

The next day was Universal Studios day....I haven't been there since college. Audrey just finished reading all the Harry Potter books, so she was excited to check out the new Harry Potter land. We started off with a trip to Jurassic Park:

Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 10-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Go Dawgs

Next up was Harry Potter land and a visit to Hogsmeade and Hogwarts.

Audrey here is trying some "Butterbeer" I have no idea since I have never read the books.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:58 PM
Go Dawgs

After Harry Potter land, we heading to everyone's favorite town......Springfield to hang with the Simpsons!

Yes, they have a Lard Lad Doughnut shop:

......and a Kwik E Mart! Thank you come again!

Audrey and I closed out the day by conquering the giant Hulk rollercoaster.........it shot you out of a cannon at around 50 mph. It was awesome.

Last edited by audioguy3107; 10-13-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:07 PM
Go Dawgs

We took Saturday off...hung out at the resort/pool, enjoyed the a$%whipping that Georgia gave Tennessee and visited Disney Springs for a short time where Cameron found a Hulk made out of legos.

Next.....the real attraction......Star Wars Galaxy's Edge......
Old 10-13-2020, 02:08 PM
Joe W

Great pics. Look like you had a ball. We go every couple of year's including last November. So how were the lines. Were people good about wearing masks? Did you feel comfortable in the pool with social distancing and no masks?
[list] Analog: VPI Prime Signature Turntable in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, Digital: Aurender N10, Holoaudio KTE May, Oppo 203, Preamplifier: Luxman C-10X, Parasound JC3 Jr, Amplifier: Luxman M-10X, Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 801 D4, Power Management: Audioquest Niagara 5000, Cables: Nordost Tyr 2, Wireworld Eclipse 7 & 8, , Rack: Core Audio Designs plyKraft 3L (x2)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:11 PM
Go Dawgs

Took the Skyliner over to Hollywood studios and reserved our place for the "Rise of the Resistance" experience since they limit it to once a day per family due to demand.

The attention to detail is INSANE.....they really didn't miss a thing....it was very impressive. Here is a red R2 unit serving drinks:

A wing fighter:

Even a section for everyone's favorite "bomp" droids:

Old 10-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Go Dawgs

Kylo Ren showed up with a squad of Stormtroopers and immediately begin barking orders and demanding loyalty to the First Order

The Millenium Falcon....."What a piece of junk!!"

Inputting coordinates into the navicomputer for the jump to lightspeed:

Last edited by audioguy3107; 10-13-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM
Go Dawgs

Next up was lunch and a sample of "blue milk" or Bantha milk.

This was the intro to "Rise of the Resistance". I couldn't really get any pictures, but look it up online, it was incredible. You really felt like you were an extra in shooting of the movie. It was really cool.

Finally, we visited the Droid Depot where kids (and adults too ) can construct their own working BB or R2 unit. Yes, I'm a nerd and built one.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw31 View Post
Great pics. Look like you had a ball. We go every couple of year's including last November. So how were the lines. Were people good about wearing masks? Did you feel comfortable in the pool with social distancing and no masks?
All in all it was Disney, very organized, super clean and the staff was perfect everywhere we went. The lines were still fairly long....the biggest attraction were usually between 60 and 120 minutes....the lesser ones around 50 minutes. Same for Universal......although the Harry Potter ones were around 150 minutes at worst. Masks are required on all Disney properties indoors and at their theme parks whether indoors or outdoors unless you're eating/drinking. It was a bit annoying since it was hot, but I felt it was a good tradeoff since the parks are at around 50% capacity I think. I never felt overcrowded anywhere except Harry Potter land.....that was fairly crowded at Universal. I don't want to turn this into a COVID thread so Ivan doesn't shut it down, but I couldn't care less about masks outdoors (and I am a healthcare professional) in a pool/resort environment....there is almost ZERO chance of any kind of transmission in that type of environment unless you were packed in like sardines at like a food or wine festival or something like that. That being said, the pool areas were not crowded at all, you could tell that it was a lighter crowd compared to normal.